Acoustica 2019

Indeed - Roger Staines (iirc) was saying yesterday that he preferred the statement and big focals to the active 808s at the show!

And to be fair Tim, the ATC’s were sounding mighty fine in Dave Spires room. I know Roger prefers ATC’s and I can understand why he likes them.

1 Like

They were powered by Bryston amps and front end at Audio show east they sounded good, but were just ticking over imo, much, much better on the end of the Statement amps.

Yes, I think he has just got some. I can’t get over the looks of the ATCs, myself!

Oh, and I should have said that the reports of the statement / focal system sounding good that I have seen were from people who attended on Sunday, not Saturday

I found the sounds in the Naim statement, Kudos 808 and Dynaudio Confidence rooms extremely impressive. And I duly sat there being extremely impressed. What I did not get was much musical enjoyment from listening to them, they certainly did not move me in the way my humble home system so often does. Perhaps it was the choice of music; I often wonder why hifi companies choose such unappealing material to demonstrate their stuff. However, when I moved on to some of the smaller systems, such as the rooms with the little Spendor speakers and the Russell Ks, the fun was back. Even with music I would not have chosen I enjoyed the way they communicated. It left me pondering if climbing the upgrade ladder may lead to better hifi but no greater musical enjoyment.

The stars of the show? For me it was the two ATC rooms and a visit to Acoustica for an extended session with an Auralic/ATC setup has to be my next step.

Roger

4 Likes

Agreed, the stars of the show were the Auralic/ATCs, particularly the SCM 40As and SCM 50 passives. The low points - I was disappointed with the Russell K 150SE and the Titan 505s. My ATC SCM 19s are far better IMO

Couldn’t agree more on a number of your observations. The Spendors were excellent, as was the Auralic system but the star of the show was the Statement system. I’ve heard it many times and always been underwhelmed but on the Sunday I could have sat and listened all day; it gave me goose bumps and so much better than previous years at the same show but in a different room. I had a friend with me who was astonished by it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.