Active Isobarik vs Active Ovator S600

Mark, You have come a long way since your IBLs! :smiley:

On the basis of your love of them back in the day, and that they fit back against the wall, I do wonder what a pair of DBLs could do for you. I should add that I only know them by their reputation here. And I understand your reservations in terms of finding a pair.

Best,
C.

I still have the IBLs Chris :grinning: can’t let them go.

DBLs would be great but probably get me divorced too :frowning: Only heard them once, at the factory when they were being released, or was that the 52? Long time ago. Bloody amazing though. Put my old passive Briks to shame at the time.

All the best
Mark

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@Allante93,…Lovely pictures Allante93.

When I see your LK280’s,.memories are brought to life.
I also started with Linn-electronics for my active Isobarik.
I had 3 LK280/Spark,.and would switch to 3 Linn Klout,.I remember it was a difficult choice.

Linn LK280 played more rock’n’roll,.and Linn Klout played a little “more beautiful”.
I had already bought 3 Klout,.but I kept on and listened back and forth for several weeks,before I decided to keep Linn Klout.

But a friend of mine recently bought a pair of active Isobarik with 3 LK280/Spark.
He also had 3 Klout,.but chose to sell them and keep the 3 LK280/Spark.
All this,.of course top-refurbished by my friend who I wrote about before.

:small_blue_diamond:@marksnaim,…Then I understand how you think,.thanks for the reply.

Sometimes you have to compromise,.It is part of what we call life :wink:.
As you,.I have also had several pairs of Isobarik,.but the ones I have now I bought new, and they stay.
Sometimes they have been packed in a cardboard a few years,.when I used other speakers.
But I always come back to them.

Right now,.they are in a cardboard box again😁.

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

Now that’s what I call thoughtful ownership. You removed the Linn electronics but to comfort your Isobariks you gave them a safety blanket, a Linn LP to cuddle at night.

1 Like

I did this many years ago and did not regret it.

I now have moved to S800 Active and there I’m very pleased.

The S600 Active benefits from the ‘floaty’ BMR Snaxo which allows for a very high level of Active system performance.

The S600 need to be a little away from the rear wall for optimum effect - I found 34cm from wall to rear of speaker excellent. Also they like to have about a meter of more from side walls to breath in the room - but the rear wall at 34cm sounds right - more and it sound more open but loses a bit of low-bass integration (in my room) and less, say 24cm and it a richer more gutsy sound but loses some detail it is possible of rendering.

The floor under them needs to be nice and hard-solid as they put a lot of energy into floor.

Sound compared to Active Briks is like the system came to life - live performances were really live. I found it well worthwhile.

DB.

1 Like

Thanks DB.

Briks are also “cat-friendly” in that the top is big enough to accommodate a sleeping cat. S600/800 have a sloping top, so poor kitty would slide off.

1 Like

Nice one. I use my Ovators as a standing desk when my back starts to hurt. Ideal height for me and my Lenovo X220 fits nicely on top.

2 Likes

We call it an Armour.

1 Like

DMS would sound slow and ponderous with a single 250 for sure.

No doubt active is the way to go with the Briks. I can hear some faults with my pair but can’t say they are slow and ponderous. ( well, only when I screw up on a turntable setting )

When I have heard a 600 for the first time at the US premier, I thought they were the perfect replacement for the Briks. Unfortunately, A home demo never happened and I was told the production model does not sound exactly like what I have heard.

They need to be in a free space to sing so if you have a setting restriction, might not work at all.

1 Like

My Active Briks were anything but slow.

Of course, relativity has its place. Within my domain, I’m very pleased with my Vienna Acoustis Baby Grands as well as my Isobariks. With that being said, I was fortunate enough to aquire a later pair!

"It’s a little bit simpler than that - the only difference is the presence or absence of a crossover. DMS has a crossover, and is passive, PMS does not, and is actively driven by three stereo, or six mono, amplifiers plus active crossover filters. Late production were neither DMS nor PMS, as the crossover was removable.

PS. I would imagine, DMS Briks fueled by a NAC 500 with the proper front end would sound marvelous!

1 Like

you often go with your cat at dealers shops? the cat is choosing the components i guess.

Yes, of course. But on a lead naturally :grin:

Alongside SQ, WAF and CAF are essential components of the purchase process…

2 Likes

There is always some minor downside.

2 Likes

Not after she heard them!

DBLs? Nope, can’t see any downsides

2 Likes

I’ve owned My DMS Isobariks since 1983 use them most days either with Nat 101 / Snaps, Naim CDS / CDPS or LP12 Stiletto with Armeggedon power supply and Aro.

Excellent reproduction mine are fitted with the internal crossover.

Regards,

Martin

1 Like

Martin! Nice to see you here. :grinning:

I flew out to Vegas to listen to that very system. Bring back some nice memories. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Kuma,

Yes nice to hear from you.

Regards,

Martin

1 Like