Active Isobarik vs Active Ovator S600

Hello Martin, just curious to know if you are using the old steel subchassis or one of the newer alloy keels or kore with your Stiletto aro geddion.
Thanks
Mario

Hi Mario,

No it’s fitted with Tangerine Audio Plateau the Stiletto already comes with the Karmen top plate build it. I was able to part exchange my original Karmen top plate. My turntable has sat on the Sound Organisation table since 1983, I would’ve gone for the Eclipse and Skorpion items. The problem was that the So table wasn’t adequate for the additional weight added.

If you go to the Briks.com you’ll see my system in the gallery and many others.

Regards,

Martin

Apologies it should be www.Mybriks.com then enter followed by gallery.

Regards,

Martin

Thank you Martin. I asked cause there are a small number of people who prefer the old steel subchassis more than the new alloy ones. Im sure the tangerine version would be amazing, sure looks the part too.

That is life for us married. Compromises. I have an understanding wife but a no is a no. I have a sofa between my listening position and the loudspeakers. Far from optimal but that’s the way it is. You can see on the picture below what I did and my wife liked it a lot. She said it looked better like this than having the loudspeakers direct on the floor. I got the loudspeakers up about 13 cm and that improved the sound. I am not sure concrete slabs would fit in your nice living room but that’s how I solved it.

2 Likes

Wow! Gorgeous system and room, forget the SQ!

And the beautiful thing about your system: If you decide to activate your speakers, Kudos has established an relationship with Focal/Naim.

Thanks, the SQ is good. I treated the corners with bas-traps and absorbers on the left wall. The issue I had initially was that the right loudspeaker and “it’s mid” partly was firing in the back of the sofa. The 13 cm solved that issue.

I have in my mind sometimes in the future to replace the 300 for a 500 and add an additional PS to the streamer.

Maybe i should also consider 3 * 300 as an option. I have space. Price wise about the same except that my SL loudspeaker cables must be 7 m. So fairly expensive to add 2 * 7 m. I have never heard an active system. Maybe a vacation trip to UK when a Kudos demo comes up.

End of nest week I will take delivery of a ND555. So future upgrades in a couple of years.

I understand Kudos are doing a tour round various naim / kudos dealers - the recent event at Cymbiosis was not a one off. I have heard 808s running active from 3x300s but not heard them passive. My SL2s sound rather lovely active (2x300dr) @Yorkshireman can confirm! But I have never heard active v passive back to back

Oh, edited to add that I am also a bit off put by the cost of multiple super lumina speaker cables (not to mention the din/XOR jobbies). I would need an enormous sum to cover the cost of that lot

1 Like

I forgot the interconnects. So a conclusion. Better not to listen to active 3*300 with all SL. Can not afford it. So my dream end system is replacing the 300 with a 500 and adding a PS to my ND555 which soon will arrive.

2 Likes

I have ND555 coming soon myself!

Congratulations to both of us :wink:

1 Like

What’s your latest thinking, Mark?

C.

I’m being put off by the need to have them away from boundaries Chris. The room is big enough but I can see that being a domestic issue. I’d love to try it but if I have to revert it will potentially be an expensive experiment.

I think I’ll err on the safe side and stay with what I have. I chased after that for so long, not sure why I got the itch to change. Money saved can go towards the LP12. Maybe a cartridge upgrade. My DVXX2 is 3 years old.

Yes, money doesn’t grow on trees.

Naim’s holy trinity:

LP 12 ~ 20K +
CD555 ~ 20K +
ND555 ~ 20K +

Two out of three ain’t bad, not to mention an elaborate three-way Full Loom Active System!

I think improving your LP12 makes more sense Mark. Within the context of 252/300/SBLs I have moved from Akurate to Klimax over the last few years. The system improved every step of the way. Supports my life long confidence in source first tbh.

Stu

1 Like

What is an DVXX2?

A really good cartridge. Maybe an excuse for another thread.

1 Like

These are my s600 speakers we are talking about, but a question for you all, but i think i already know the answer

3 x olive 250’s or 2 x 500 non dr and use a Y cable.
Dont really have enough room for 3 x 500’s or 3 x 300’s and thats why i feel going to 500’s over the 300’s would be beneficial.
Or i guess i could for the same price have 2 x 300DR, but looking at other people’s views the 500 non DR is a better amp than the 300DR or is the new 250DR the way to go if i run 3 off them?
Lots of ways to go and was going for the 300’s non DR to start with but as norm things change

I think that’s fairly wise. Compromise and all that. Besides, I wouldn’t mind betting that those who have been unable to settle with Ovators haven’t been able to place them as Naim suggest in their guidelines. But that’s another thread. As is the dearth of back to wall designs available today from speaker manufacturers in general. They seem such a good idea. Oh well. Maybe some DBLs will come up after you have a new cartridge…

1 Like

Naims guide lines are 0.25 to 1 meter