Active system demo in Yorkshire

I use 4x135s.
First with SBLs and now into Ovator 600s. Love the sound and detail.

2 Likes

Of course I am biased but I was introduced to active systems by that organisation… back in the early 1980’s

Was that when Hamish and Roger were in London, overlooking Southwark Cathedral?

That’s right - happy days.
Spent many a lunchtime in the Borough pub with Roger drinking triple Jack Daniels and me on ale or Guinness chewing the cud (sad symptom of those easy days).

1 Like

Ha ha, yes, and the Thameside Inn. The Roger Special, triple JD, ICE and a splash of Lime. Happy days indeed. And, simpler days!

2 Likes

Thanks to those guys I was hooked, first a nait with a LP12, then a Roksan Xerxes with Linn Kans. moving abroad allowed me to save up for the 52, CDS, 135s and SBLs all thanks to Roger and Hamish’s enthusiasm.

1 Like

Good guys & great location. Hamish drove out to Farnham Royal to install my LP12, Ittock, Karma.

3 Likes

We probably drunk together. I used to go to the same pub with Roger. I use to help him out with the SO tables and stands. I ended up with a six pack and Isobariks because of the exposure to their demonstrations. Fond memories of great times.

3 Likes

I’m a mere youngster ( :grinning: by about 5 years I suspect) so the London Sound Org for me was Dave and Derek in the mid ‘80s to mid ‘90s. I may have had the odd beer or two (honest) with Del in the pub beside the shop, the Thameside I think, if anyone’s talking to him at KJWest, say Eoin says hi.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:Yorkshireman,…You should always have same power-amps in an active system.
If,.for some reason,you must have different power-amps…you should have the best amp on the treble.
It is about musicality and synergy.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

I have a pair of 300dr’s active into SL2s. Not compared them with any other active possibility - but It is what Jason who works for naim has as his personal system, which I think is something of a recommendation…

1 Like

@TimOopNorth - What was the main difference between running the SL2s passive and active with the 300DR?

:small_blue_diamond:TimOopNorth,…A small “Attention To Detail” tip,…even power-amps of the same model.
For example,…two nap300,sounds a little different if you compare them to each other.
It is at a very small level,.but no electronic product sounds exactly the same.

Try swapping your two nap300 between treble and mid/bass,…you should be able to hear a little…very little difference to the better in one position.
In other words,.when the “better” 300 power-amp is on the treble.

Hope you understand what I mean,.I usually avoid giving detail tips in any language other than my own.

/Peder🙂

Dave - sorry, not able to give any specifics as (a) I am not good at describing differences (better at hearing them than describing them) although I did notice a big improvement in for example drums - so much more like the real thing - and (b) there was a gap of around a month between hearing the system with one 300 and it being put together with two. Then I got the 552 and it got taken apart so the 300s could be sent off for service and dr (one of them had started crackling when you turned it on) - three weeks later put back together again

Peder - thanks but am not about to take anything apart. Not something I enjoy at all. Am hoping that naim did the same job on both of them when they had them together for service and dr!

1 Like

By the way - am in Preston lancs if that’s not too far for you to travel for a listen. Not possible for about six weeks (GCSEs and A levels going on). I understand Richard could forward a message between us if that’s of interest

1 Like

GBP 20.000 maybe?

Indeed that’s probably about right!! To do it properly you’d need 300DR, Snaxo 242, SCDR, 4 Fraim levels and cabling (speaker cables, din to xlr mono and for the Snaxo to pre). If one has SL already you’d be driven to maintain that. Crickey it’s an awful lot of money to move from passive to active isn’t it…

1 Like

You could use 2 NAP 250DR instead of 300DR. I use 3 x 250DR for my Briks with excellent results. I seem to recall reading somewhere about a test of 300 passive vs 250 active and the 300 passive came out marginally ahead but I can’t recall what speakers were being used (SL2 I think). But I also think that was in the 250.2 days when there was a bigger gap in character and performance between the 300 and 250 than I believe to be the case with the DR amps now. Using the 250 would reduce the Fraim level count too. But, yes, however you look at it, going active isn’t cheap!

1 Like

Hi Tim, Thanks for the offer. I’ll be over in Preston/Cheshire way in June and would be free either Friday 28th June or Monday 1st July, if either of those dates would be suitable for you.

If you send a message to Richard and he will pass my contact details onto you.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:TimOopNorth,…I do not know if you misunderstood me.

:small_orange_diamond:Naim did with 100% security a very good job,.but as I wrote.
There is always a difference between electronic products of the same model.

A very,very little difference,but still audible.
It is the best of these who shall be sitting on the tweeter.
My three power-supply also had this little, little difference.
The best power-supply ended up on the treble,.the next best on mid,.and the “worst” on bass.

The result is that the music-system plays more musical.

/Peder🙂