Active system

Hi Meni,
The thread you opened in Oct 19, « something is missing « had changed something in your set up?

1 Like

My complains was in the past…to day everything sound very good i did some changing from that time …ethernet cables Sarum t from N10 to Nd555 …powerstrip with Chord music to main power instead of my microgal power (french words) but he was definitely right… sarum t for 552/500 …adding a second 555 to Nd555…only my room is the same as in the pic

1 Like

Hi Meni, Do you have a good Naim dealer near you as this can be quite complicated?

Just read Peter R advice 500 on the tweeter - that’s what I have on the 800s (even those its a BMR not tweeter :wink:) anyway it’s the most sensitive.

Pete

1 Like

Bit worried the 500 will be too powerful on the tweeter - might be better 2 x 300DR.

Also looking at your kit the 500 should be more than enough to give you wonderful presentation. Have you looked at your listening position and speaker placement. I’m sure you’ve seem the controversy my set up has made on the forum. I spent several hours trying all options until I settled on the final placement. I could have thrown money at the problem as I too was dissatisfied with my kit. simply moving it was a revelation!

1 Like

It’s the upgrade bug it burrows deep especially when you watch this forum :laughing: that’s one reason I stopped visiting :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hi 916PS…I do have satisfaction with the results of my system…just want to have more…but i also have doubts for those steps …so meantime i decided to calm myself for the reason that i believe a real active needs to be two powers the same and not mishmash.

MIne is a mishmash! and it works very well. PeterR had good results and did the same as me bigger amp on the more sensitive part … your tweeter. Active brings so much more to the party if you are prepared to fiddle it’s a worth while route. While writing this I’m listening to stuff I haven’t heard in years … pre active … its astonishing :metal:

Bit worried the 500 will be too powerful on the tweeter - might be better 2 x 300DR. but there is guys in the forum using 500 active with Sl2…happy with the results,never heard before any tweeters complains…but thinking again i think 2x500 is the right way for active…your mishmash! is okey you use a different speaker 500 for BMR and 2x300 for bass drivers that`s sense

One lesson I learned with active systems in the 80s is that one big one is better than two little ones. I’d do two 500s or nothing.

2 Likes

I agree that’s correct,same mind as you think,the only problem its very expensive to add a second 500

… and VERY much the law of diminishing returns! I’d be very curious about your room dimensions, as your ceiling looks very high, which of course from a room acoustics point of view is great. My niggling thought is how big a space/volume the your SL2s need to fill purely based on my previous experience running them active for 10 years. ATB Peter

Allow me to add, have you tried wheeling your red coffin away from the speakers, it is not beneficial being there and also throw a drape over your television whilst doing serious listening! :+1:t3: ATB Peter

Wot no cat?

Oh, the fun that was had at chez-Peter in trying to hook up amps*, without appreciating that a 300 and 500 have differing levels of gain and thereby the SNAXO settings needed a tweak IIRC!

*someone at said event suggested my 500 may be in need a attention (not what you want to hear!). All’s well that ends well.

1 Like

Size room 5x3.5 not so big and ceiling about 2.5 maybe less speakers between each other 2meter…red coffin im planning to take away but not leaving the place empty, ן would first find a small thin furniture instead of this one… dont like my room empty between the speakers therefore i didn`t remove it yet but latter on it will be remove

Hi Meni. No worries, room just looks enormous in the photo, maybe a future as an estate agent beckons :wink: ATB Peter

1 Like

Can a full active system with 3X 500 dr work in a relatively little / medium room as 15 m2? For me it would be nonsense, but I may be wrong, I don’t know SL2 .

Yes they can…perhaps a second hand Statement or ex demo would be better.

Splitting the Fraim into two stacks, getting rid of the red box and swapping leather for fabric furniture would be cheaper than another 500 and would make a huge difference. I’d do that first before even thinking of active. But then, this was all said previously. Deal with the elephants in the room.

1 Like

Statement on SL2 ? In 15 m2? You are serious?

In my city not far away where I live there is someone with nac S1 and 500dr driving Sl2…statement doesn’t necessarily need large room

1 Like

It is doable if you really want that ultimate sound…agreed perhaps overkill, but great amps in any room.