Adding a Naim NAPSC + HICAP 2 to the supernait 3

Hello, I was offered a good deal on a NAPSC + HICAP 2. Currently using the ND5 sx2 + Supernait 3.

From my understanding the Napsc and hicap are older products. (could be wrong) Would i notice a substantial difference or would it be something minor?

Thank you for the help.

1 Like

Hicap2 will help your SN3. NAPSC won’t as It would only work with 202 or 282 digital control or a headline.

3 Likes

This is great information, thank you.

Best to also verify when the Hicap was last serviced.

1 Like

Good question i will ask. Thank you.

Any need to service the Hicap should be factored into the cost.

1 Like

Any ballpark estimate? Or a tip on where i can learn such information?

Are you in the UK or US?

1 Like

I am in the US

You can inquire with FocalNaimAmerica.com, the US distributor for Naim Audio, as they perform authorized servicing for Naim equipment. Another option is Chris West, with AVOptions.com, who is also authorized to work on Naim equipment. Chris posts his price lists on his site. Chris does phenomenal work, and his prices reflect that. I bought my Olive Hicap directly from Chris after he worked his magic and it’s perfect.

2 Likes

This is amazing. Thanks so much for taking the time to type all of that. I will check into it.
The Hicap is offered to me at $1100 and has not been recapped.

Thanks!

1 Like

$1100 is a bit high for an unserviced one , I’d look around some more or if you can stretch it, go for a pre-loved Hicap DR which will bring even more gains to your SN3. A couple of years ago, I bought s/h Hicap DR from a dealer on Audiogon for $1280 to pair with an XS mk1, can’t say I was enamored with the sound as things got too supercharged so I reverted back to a FlatcapXS, which IMO was more balanced, but this all subjective and a topic for another thread. But yes, I would try to source a pre-loved Hicap DR.

Despite not having heard a Supernait 3 let alone one with a HiCap I’d say steer clear unless you can find a HiCap DR. The Supernait will have been designed with consideration for upgrades with the DR variant, not the older version.

Having said this I would focus on a source upgrade rather than improving the amp. A used Naim NDac would work well as would an NDX2. The latter would be more money but match the Supernait visually and keep the system down to 2 boxes.

3 Likes

Even being in US that HC2 price seem high for a non-serviced.
Looking at serial number indicate how old it is.

I have seen olive serviced hicaps priced lower but that was in Europe.
They are the same electronics as HC2, just different cabinet case.

I have used a HCDR on my SN2 but found I prefer that amp in my setup without hicap.

2 Likes

I’d forget the Hicap. The SN3 has a DR power supply onboard and a non DR Hicap would bring very little if anything. Save your money and put it towards an NDX2.

1 Like

Hi HH, so no plans to upgrade with a HCDR with your SN3?

No plans at all. It sounds great as it is.

1 Like

oh im sure you will… added one to mine and whilst not as great as adding to the SN2 , its still a nice uplift…

1 Like

The only way I could accommodate it is to get rid of my lovely NAT05, or swap it for an 02. The SN3 is just super and I don’t feel any need to improve it.

You could toss the gramophone in a skip.

1 Like