Adding a subwoofer, rig is 282/250

I have a 222/new 250 to DYnaudio Heritahe specials and a Rel sub.
I connected the banana plug cables to a Cardas CAB adapter and then connected spade speaker cables and REL spade cables I bought to the Cardas CAB.

It’s perfect.

I used those exact plugs a long time ago, before I connected at speaker terminals. Now I have them on my office system where I connect a single REL R-328 to an Atom speaker terminals… Works perfectly.

JDS, thanks for the help, and found similar threads from last year with you and others, speaking to the same point of Naim, and REL subs.

If I buy a single REL sub, using the standard supplied high cable, where do those three runs connect? to one speaker, or does it have to run to both left and right speakers, sorry I’m just confused

You need to go to both speakers. The black goes on one speaker negative terminal. The yellow and red to the left and right speaker positive terminals. When I had one sub and did it that way I pulled the shield off so I could split the red/yellow far enough apart and run it under a rug between speakers. YMMV.

With two subs it’s a no brainer. Each sub/speaker gets its own cable. I bought a 3m Bassline Blue REL cable, cut it in half and terminated the ends. In that case for each speaker/sub the yellow/red are twisted together to go on the speaker’s positive terminal with the black cable on the negative terminal.

This is the back of each of my speakers. They have WBT connectors with combo banana/spade. I use banana for the speaker cable from my 300DR, and I use the spade for the sub high level connection to the REL.

I hope this makes some sense, but ask away if you need help further.

You don’t even need to connect to both speakers.

I just installed my REL TZero yesterday. It is incredibly simple. The cable supplied was 10m long, the three ends are pre-stripped. The cable core is thin and flexible and very easy to manage and connect in a variety of ways. The red can go to a pos ie red speaker terminal, the black and yellow can be twisted together and connected to the black terminal on the same speaker.

I would post a link to the REL YouTube video but not sure that is allowed. I am sure you could find by an appropriate search for ‘REL single speaker high level connection’ for example. Their videos are a model of clarity.

I am just experimenting with the sub at the moment, waiting to complete a new office setup. I am already sure Iike its subtle contribution in this space.

Bruce

I’ve not felt the need to. Using the low level output is neater and the subs blend perfectly into the soundstage.

You don’t need to, but if you connect to the left speaker and the deep bass notes are on the right, you won’t get the enhancement from the sub. To get the best sound you need to connect to both.

2 Likes

True, and the supplied cable is so long and easy to strip etc that it isnt hard to run one strip over to the other speaker.

Bruce

1 Like

You really do if you want the sub to get bass for both channels. You’re missing half of it without. That’s also why stereo subs are so worthwhile.

This is all great info….now all I have to do is actually buy one!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.