Advice on new 2 box system?

I finally managed to demo today. Having recently heard a Nova,
I focused on the SN2 with a ND5 XS2 and a NDX2, both into a SN2 driving Neat Iota Xplorers and then ProAcResponse DB1s.

My conclusions were

1. the SN2 with ND5 XS2 was a step up from the Nova
  2. the NDX2 was, I think, better than the ND5 XS2 - but not noticeably (to my ears) - perhaps a subtle increase in depth/resolution. I’m not convinced I could tell the difference in an AB test
  3. The Xplorers were a better match than the ProAc, and also matched my slightly awkward speaker height preference.

Given the price difference in the streamers, plus the fact I would have little use for the NDX2’s screen, made it an easy choice.

So, a home demo of the SN2 + ND5 XS2 + Neat Iota Xplorers + NACA5 + Isoblue hifi rack is beckoning this week, and I hope to be the proud owner of some new shiny toys in a week or two!

Thanks again for your advice.

6 Likes

This is great news. I just went from Nova to SN2 and NDX2 and it’s great. The SN2 is fabulous integrated amp, very solid and cohesive. I’m sure the ND5 XS2 will be a great combo. You have a lot to look forward to.

1 Like

Have fun with the home demo —good to have some time with a system before making an expensive decision. I haven’t heard the new streamer — went down the Chord route instead… But I am sure the new ND products are great, and the SN2 is gorgeous… :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve heard the SN2 demoed by Naim with both the ND5 SX2 and the NDX2.
I thought the NDX2 was a step up on the Nova but not the ND5 SX2 which I thought lacked the zip of the Nova.

1 Like

Good luck with the home demo and do hope that it sounds even better at your house then at the dealers showroom!

Look forward to hearing how everything went…

1 Like

After a home demo, I’m now the happy owner of an SN2 + ND5 XS2 + Neat Iota Xplorers + NACA5 + Isoblue hifi rack! The SN2 and Xplorers were the dealer’s demo ones, so should already be run in.

Very happily enjoying more involving music than I’ve ever previously experienced at home - frankly surprised at both the additional detail and, somehow, the sense of depth/texture. Somewhat unusually, I’m not experiencing any form of buyer’s remorse from not getting the NDX2. I think this combo just works for me in this space.

Thanks again for your advice.

8 Likes

Great news, I’ve just upgraded from my Nova to a SN2/NDX2 and the uplift in SQ has been staggering, very enjoyable and engaging, as you say. Well done and enjoy the music :clap::sunglasses::notes:

2 Likes

Enjoy, love to see a photo. Really pleased with my Xplorers also.

1 Like

Congratulation Cascades!

Sounds like a wonderful configuration with your new ND5 XS2 > SN2 > NACA5 > Neat Iota Xplorers with the Naim components sitting on an Isoblue rack!

A three+ month journey from your first post to purchase and ticking all the boxes along the way before putting your money down.

Wishing you years of listening enjoyment!

2 Likes

I am currently using Uniti Star with Dynaudio Special 40 and somewhat underwhelmed. I have heard the Neat small size driven by Star and it sound sweet so will also be considering the mini floorstander Xplorer.

Was thinking of the exact same NDX2 + SN2 combo also. I hope it will make a big difference to my Uniti Star.

1 Like

I[quote=“mech, post:50, topic:882”]
Was thinking of the exact same NDX2 + SN2 combo also. I hope it will make a big difference to my Uniti Star.
[/quote]

I went from a Nova, and the improvement was much more than I expected.

Yes I see you keep Nova as well and also go for NDX2+SN2. I can’t afford to do that. So I think I have to part way with Uniti series and go direct to separate source. Quite excited thinking about it. The dealer is demoing the Motive SX3 if I am not wrong. It appear so tiny and yet sound so to the point and sweet. Compare to my S40, it sound quite hit and miss. I fear the Star + S40 just don’t play nice. Some ppl have Nova + S40 and is fine with that.

I would listen to those Dynaudio with the SN2 first before deciding on a speaker change and reading of the OPs experience I’d maybe try ND5XS2 with a used 282/HC/250DR too if possible.

Yes will give S40 a try into SN2 at least

I owned the S40’s for about six months, paired with a 272/XPSDR/250 DR, and they sounded good, but only really came alive when I cranked them over 40-50 on the 272. The Dyn sound is not for everyone,I still own two pairs, but ended up trading the s40’s on Focal Sopra 1’s, they work much better at low volume, which I need in an apartment. I also home demoed Neat Motive 1’s a couple of years ago with the same gear, really liked those, great boogie factor, and surprisingly BIG sound from a smallish speaker.

That is quite my sentiment also. It appear it need some serious volume. My Star always need 45 minimum. I kind of need low volume environmental listening also sometimes and the S40 just sound muted. Well is to be expected probably. I was real hoping the Xplorer can give low volume listening a viable option.

I have not heard the explorer, but have heard the Iota Alpha, and thought they were excellent,again, sound way bigger than their size. I owned Neat Iota’s for a few years too, awesome sound, but not enough bass without adding a sub, which I also did for a while.The S40’s sounded kind of two dimensional to me at lower volume, and the Sopra’s are far ahead of them in that regard.

How’s the new system going @Cascades?

@Mike_S the new system is going a treat. Thank you for asking. The only downside is trying to find extra hours in the day to listen to it!

I have no regrets about choosing the ND5XS2 over the NDX2 - short of going all separates (which doesn’t work too well for a 2 box system), with Neat Xplorers in my room and with my ears, I don’t feel I’m missing anything - very happy.

I’ve been reading with interest a couple other threads where folks have come to a different conclusion after listening to varied options, but I’m very content.

2 Likes

Hi Cascades, I was very happy with the ND5 XS 2 but I am glad that I upgraded to the NDX 2. However, I have upgraded from a Nait XS 2 at the same time to an SN2 so I cannot pin point which improvements are down to the streamer and which the amp.

I am happy with my choices and no doubt would find short comings if I compared my system to 500 series components - but I am not going to do that!

For all of us it is our own ears that have to be the decider.

2 Likes