Advice on possibly returning to Naim on the main system

If you choose the 222/250 you would use the BNC outputs for the 250 and the RCAs for your subs. Either that or use a high level connection with the cables supplied by Rel, which may well give better results. Either way, the subs always receive a full range signal as they are designed to.

1 Like

Just got home and put Philip Glass on the Atom ‘ What’s that, it sounds bloody amazing?’ Says my wife…

Yes that was my first thought, find the right Naim setup and these can go.

Knowing Devialet and reading what you prefer with the Atom HE and wanting an analogue MM phono stage I’m positive this combination will be all you need, can you demo somewhere to be sure?

Devialet dealers here always sell Audioquest cable with it, so budget for some NACA5 also.

One thing to remember is that the HE digitises analogue inputs and converts them back again whilst the 222 keeps everything analogue. I would have thought the Vertere into the 222 would sound brilliant.

3 Likes

Mogami 3082 here. Definitely keeping that.

And I don’t think anyone has found any negative effect from doing that!

1 Like

Yes and of course on an all Linn system they digitize even a Klimax LP12.

This is a coaxial cable? It’s probably fine, but I’d double-check the electrical characteristics for use with a Naim power amp.

On paper that would be a pretty poor match for a Naim power amp, although it’s not entirely clear to what extent that applies to their more recent designs.

Thanks. It’s only 2 x 2.5m so I think I’ll just try it and see. I really dislike dealing with NACA5. It’s ugly and hard to get to lie neatly so it’s the first thing you look at in the lounge.

Yes, NACA5 can be awkward to handle. There are, however, other cables that are reasonably close in capacitance and inductance and that will still work well. Mogami 3082 is certainly not one of them, and the issue will be further exacerbated by using short lengths.
How much of a problem this is will depend on which Naim power amp you use.

Its going to be the latest NAP250

The official line from Naim, or at least what was posted here by designer Steve Sells, is that the New Classic amps can be used with any cables, although some people still seem to prefer the sound with longer ones.

In this case I would try your own cables and see if you can demo some NACA5 or similar and see what you prefer.

1 Like

Kudos KS1?

A 222/300/250 deserve better speakers cables than Mogami, IMVHO.

222/300/250 and Mogami 2972 a match made
In heaven, lengths >5m.

1 Like

Better in what way?

1 Like

In the same way as cheap microwave power cable vs powerline ……

At the back end of last year I auditioned a Vertere MG-1. The dealer didn’t have the amplification I use (NAC252DR & NAP300DR) so put it into the new 222/250 combo instead.
Having read many glowing reports of this combo I was half expecting to want to change my amps and stick with my TT. I have to say though, I much prefer the 252/300. If you were happy with the sound back when you had that combo then you may still prefer it now.

1 Like

Not sure I understand. Is it just too cheap for your taste?

If you don’t believe that good cables have a cost, then we can’t understand each other.

1 Like