Advice on speaker cables

I have recently bought 7 metre pairs of A5 for less than £200, used.

But - Linn K20 is cheaper still - new - !!!

I have an Atom driving a pair of KEF LS50s in our lounge as a visually discreet second system without the usual spaghetti of cables.
It was important to run a speaker cable around a fireplace through ducting so NAC5 is hopeless in this case. The cable had to be very flexible yet high quality, so I bought two 7m terminated lengths of Chord Rumour X.
It works really well with the KEFs IMHO.

Thanks!

Thanks!

1 Like

I recently had a bit of a shock. I have a Unitiqute running AE300’s and an Arcam sub. I had some spare NAC A5 cables so used those. It is second system buried in my living room, but I have to be honest the inflexible NAC cables are a pain.

For the Queens Jubilee we had a garden party, with music and the system being deposited in the garden under a trestle table with the speakers on a terrace, about 6m apart. I did not want to disturb the cables, so I ordered some QED XT40i cables, 7m each with banana plugs, £91.50. Putting any system outside is interesting, the impact of room boundaries and furniture removed you depend on the ability of the components, and it is very challenging! The system performed well, played loud, clear and fast and I noticed lots of people checking it out as it sounded far better than a typical PA system. Lots of dancing, a great party, mild hangover. So far so good.

When I moved it all back inside I thought I would try the QED cables inside as they are far easier to hide. Shock, there is little if any aubible difference between them.

I know this is not a reference system and that this is not scientific, and I also admit to having been persuaded to spend £10k+ on speaker cables for my main system (Chord,Kudos active,Naim) however, you do not have to pay a fortune and cheaper cables from a very reputable company are extremely good value.

If I’m interpreting it correctly, you found no difference between the QED XT40i and NAC A5 on your Kudos speakers? FWIW you don’t need to spend up to £10k on speaker cables to hear a meaningful difference. £2k to 3k would do it. It’s more about getting the right cable, not costly cables.

£2-3k NOT costly…. hmmm, I guess I’m in an entirely different tax bracket, lol.

1 Like

Actually you have that wrong. There was virtually no difference with a UnitiQte running AE 300 (£1600), but on the Kudos Titan 808/Active/NAC552/ND555 + 2 PS 555 (£100k+) there was quite a considerable difference!

1 Like

Witch Hat Phantom. For me even better than NAC A5 (i switched from there myself last year). Made by Naim experts and well within your budget (based on 2x 3,5 meters).

But lots of other good stuff as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.