Aerial Photos of England

Someone sent me a link to this. The older photography is fascinating imho.

8 Likes

Fascinating.

1 Like

Fascinating - thanks for posting! Not the easiest of sites to navigate, but looks worth persevering.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s a great site. I can see myself disappearing into that for hours, cheers.

2 Likes

It’s a fabulous site - I had a lot of fun zooming into my neighbourhood in Exeter. Really hasn’t changed since this pic was taken (18 May 1947) except some slum clearance next to the plot of land where my abode was built.

2 Likes

I was surprised at how empty and clean our East London road looked in 1947…and how nice to see so few cars!

1 Like

Crumpsall View
Crumpsall View is the terraced row where my dad lived as a child. The river is the Irk IIRC.

3 Likes

This site is addictive - beware. My home town of Appledore, North Devon, 1 August 1932

Interesting image below - note the ‘modern’ ships at the top of this photo moored up on the River Torridge (as opposed to the traditional sailing ships alongside Appledore Quay). By 1932 the great depression had kicked in - the ships had no trade. Revealing how mundane photos capture something we read about in history books.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.