Ah, well it was a nice try

Unless it’s being used as a marketing ploy to make people think they must buy one sooner rather than later. Which I’m sure never happens.

1 Like

Where is this report from, please…?

Steve at Naim talks about this in the New Classic thread. Quite early on. What, you mean you haven’t read all 4,500 mostly banal posts there yet?

2 Likes

Most of them, yes. And I just did several searches for Phono and under Steve’s name.

I did not find anything as ‘definitive’ as your post above. I probably missed it, perhaps… :crazy_face:

I was at my dealers recently to take a quick look at the NCs, his comments about the Solstice were similar.

I think the only way Naim would break into this market would be an acquisition.

First mention from Steve is Jan 5th

There are more discussion later but that’s the starting point.

That - IMO - is not quite the same… :thinking:

What is mentioned is the re-release of the ‘Solstice’ (NVC-TT) phono stage, ‘as’ is, in the NC range - so fully MM/MC/loading configurable.

Will this replace or supersede the Superline…? Maybe. We will see.

PS. If the NVC is ‘better’ than the Superline, why have some keen Soltice user/owners removed it and substituted a Superline …?

It might be that when the NVC is released as part of the NC range, there will also be an updated/graded Superline. Time will tell, as they say.

1 Like

Although the dealers had bought them, they didn’t sell well to the customer base. Hence a lot of decks still being sold by the dealers at reduced prices.

However, I can see the boxes part of this becoming incorporated into the future Naim new Classic range, yet to be released.

DG…

2 Likes

Indeed. Its possible. Personally, I think the NVC Phono is more of a ‘New Stageline’, but is somewhere between the Stageline and Superline in performance…?

I think the Stageline will be toast once every Classic amp has it’s own MM phono stage built in which has been stated as being based on the Stageline when the last Naits came out.

In any case, my point was, by releasing this, R&D for the Solstice wasn’t wasted.

Interesting to hear the units were bought by distributors rather than end customers. I didn’t know this but it makes sense now. Customers whined and pleaded for a turntable for decades. Never got one. So of course when you’re this late to the party your customers have long given up and invested serious money in other turntables. They were essentially trying to sell a high end turntable to a bunch of people who already had one.

5 Likes

Maybe Clearaudio limited the production run to 500…after all, it would have competed with Clearaudio products.

1 Like

Anyone interested to take a look in the charity shop in Erlangen where Clearaudio is located?

5 Likes

Because if you had said that if you were going to make 500 as a limited edition, to make more than five hundred would totally devalue the contract with the original customers who believed they were buying a limited edition.

Reputation trashed. Etc.

5 Likes

Musical Fidelity were famous for bringing out limited additions.
One such item was their Nuvista range. As I recall it they produced a limited run of 500 citing the rarity of the Nuvista tubes. Then blow me if they did not bringout another limited edition of 500 Nuvista amps, then Nuvista CD player.
So it would not come as a suprise, to me, if Naim did the same, re the turntable.
Then again it is all about the number of “units” sold and market share and returning a profit for the parent company.

The number that still appear to be kicking around at dealers suggest that there will not be any more.

Shame if that’s the end of the Naim deck. Exciting while it lasted though.

Naim should simply develop an ARO mk2 tonearm compatible retrofit (interchangeable) with the original.

At the right price point would sell like those pervedbial hot :cupcake: :cupcake: :cake:

6 Likes

But would it really? The old one didn’t sell, hence it was stopped. What is different today?

2 Likes

One huge difference, as far as the LP12 is concerned, is that ARO performance is severely impeded by an original pressed-steel Linn sub-chassis, with the coming of the Linn/A keel (and perhaps other sub-chassis) the ARO tonearm becomes a serious contender vs an Ekos.

Also, any number of AROs can be utilised with each holding a difference cartridge.

The importance here is the price point, whether they can be made at an attractive retail price in a competitive market. About half the price of an Ekos SE would be a good starting figure…

6 Likes