The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Excuse the dumb/ignorant question but is announcement suggesting the Hicap & Supercap are being discontinued? And if yes does this mean the new NPX300 will be the replacement for the Hicap & Supercap? Any thoughts much appreciated!

Kr,
Rich

There’s an interesting Compatibility and Cables document on the Signals website (and I assume the Naim website, although I cannot find it).

It seems that, with the right cable, you can power the NSC 222 with an XPS DR or a 555 PS. The cable to connect the XPS DR to the NSC 222 must be quite a beast, one socket at the XPS end and two at the NSC 222 end.

The SuperNait 3 column is blank, suggesting that there is no option to connect the NSC 222 to the SuperNait 3 power amp input, which seems surprising. There are some other exclusions, such as the NPX 300 not working with the NDS.

1 Like

More to come? Seems likely…

1 Like

Ouch. I feel a bit better now about just buying a pre-loved NAP 300 DR and NAC 552 DR. And the classic gear should hold up value wise too. The 222/250 is quite a price jump up from the Nova and the SN3/NDX2 as well. It does look very good though and I think the simplification of boxes is very welcome.

3 Likes

That’s a 25% increase, hardly small

Will this also become available to the Uniti range (assuming it’s the same app) ? I’ve often seen it requested and would like it myself of course.

The NSC 222 comes with MM built in only, there’s not an option to have it not fitted.

It can be switched off in the APP. It also has an 8 pin powered DIN socket for the re-release of NVC-TT (does not have Solstice written on it). The NVC has MM and MC.

9 Likes

One of the UK dealer websites also mentions a phono stage is forthcoming to replace the Superline, presumably upgradable with the new power supply here.

1 Like

Although if you can connect a NAP200 using cable option 4 then I can’t see why that wouldn’t work for a SN3 used in power amp mode.

3 Likes

Richard,

Exactly! May I ask what is your old Naim kit?

Many thanks for clarification :+1:

Lots of photos from dealers now on Instagram, and the new boxes do look fabulous :sunglasses:

No, it seem not, nor the ND555 & CD555.

The two sockets on the NPX 300 are digital (including bi-directional coms) and analogue. It gives a little more separation.
This was one of the advantages of the 555 PS. Now it is at 300 level. An NSC222 will use all the PSUs.

7 Likes

I have rather a lot of old Naim kit, some of it going back to Naim’s earliest days in Salt Lane.

4 Likes

A used 300DR will be a cheaper - and it does things that no other Naim amp does (and I include my 500DR in that) so I’d call it informed speculation.

4 Likes

I’m wondering too because so far it appears this is replacing Hicap, Supercap and XPS models with the possibility on certain boxes being upgradeable with multiple NPX300’s. If so thats brilliant simplification going forward.

1 Like

That was my first impression when I saw the back of the unit. Too few inputs compared to the Nac N-272. If you have MC based phono system (it can be assumed you have if you’re buying €7000 device) you have one analogue less, hopefully DIN and RCA inputs can be used simultaneously. Four digital inputs, no HDMI, plus N-272 had optional FM module.
Yes, it is streamer/pre-amp, but so was its predecessor.
Some people could have problems with that.

3 Likes

Hierarchy

Could you use with a naim dac ?

1 Like

The reason for a new set of Burndys is to only have one set for all future products.
All future products will use the same PSU and same leads. Unlike now where a SuperCap can not power a streamer etc

This will make future upgrades and moving PSUs from one product to another a breeze.
No need to remember which PSU is compatible with what and what lead is needed.

We really hope this makes playing with PSUs more fun and easy

19 Likes