Air Rifle purchase, anyone any experience?

I have a Weihrauch HW100 air rifle, with (an unknown / can’t remember) scope.
With a pump, paper targets for setting up and practice, plus some .22 pellets, it cost just under £1,200 if I remember correctly.
Great pice of kit.

2 Likes

Whichever of the rifles you choose, I’d stay with a .22 caliber pellet for varmints. It’s probably more humane even thought the .177 would have a higher velocity. The .177 can go right thru the critter sometimes. It’s about half the weight of a .22 pellet.

2 Likes

.22 for vermin. As others have said the .177 will just go throw and may not kill. Dont worry about pellet drop at range.
There is a very usefull app called chairgun. That will tell you all you need to know about clicks over/under based on range.

1 Like

I’ve used a BSA for years starting since 16 but still news use a newer BSA some 40 years later. I use just a single round model but with a decent optical. .22 as others have said above. These days I hardly shoot squirrels as these are fine in our large rural garden so I’ve tended to leave them alone.

I used to use a 303 in a rifle club but have always this was an overkill in my garden!

These types I shoot beer cans just as practice and to teach my daughter two likes to practice from time to time!

1 Like

When shooting small targets accuracy is king, a lower energy shot on target is better than a high energy off target. While a .22 and a .177 are both up to the job and almost equally accurate the .177 has a much flatter trajectory so will be easier to shoot at different ranges on target for someone who isn’t already an experienced shooter.

I shoot air and smallbore rifles competitively, about 200-300 rounds daily in practice but with target rifles, I have no experience of hunting but target air rifles are .177 calibre for a reason.

1 Like

I am also looking at getting into airgunning for the same reason as the OP.
Most of the suggestions for far have been PCP rifles (charged by compressed air, typically from a diving bottle). I would say for a beginner a “springer” is a lot less hassle as it doesn’t require to invest in the bottle, find somewhere to fill it. etc. Interested in any feedback on the choice between the two.

1 Like

I can’t speak as a hunter but mechanical air rifles are a lot noisier with springs and pistons moving about but possibly more of an issue is the need for a large amount of body movement to load after each shot which might be made difficult if in a prone position or in a confined space. PCP rifles can be virtually silent and also hold small magazines which maybe be useful for multiple shots , the downside is the need for a cylinder or a pump (don’t bother) and a finite number of shots but yes they are a lot more money

3 Likes

I’ve a BSA Super 10 PCP .22 air rifle (full power version) that’s brilliant for target shooting as you can obviously get 10 shots off per magazine and about 5 magazines per charge. However, for the occasional spot of vermin control I’d probably prefer a lighter weight .177 spring powered rifle. Horses for courses etc.

1 Like

Pcp”s maybe quieter but a much more complicated setup and unless its silenced then the squirrel will hear it if you are within range, negating the theoretical advantage. If you miss then its likely done a runner irrespective of what type of gun it is.
Have used a springer for years, an air arms prosport, underlever, simple and self contained.

1 Like

Years ago I had a Brno air rifle, which had a lever under the barrel for cocking it, and it was brilliant. Possibly illegal now, as I suspect that it was well over the 12 ftlb limit.

Springer or pcp is always difficult to get around of you are starting from scratch.
I’ll not get into the pros and cons. As to whatever you have will be the right answer.

Saying all that pcp are silent. And more consistently accurate. Yes, you do need a bottle or pump. And yes a spare cylinder is usefull. But for vermin, you are unlikely to be pulling the trigger that much in a session.
I use my HW100 in .177 for targets out to 60yds on a bench. I can shoot 300 pellets in a morning so need to take a spare cylinder or the bottle.
I used to shoot .303 or 7.62 over 600yds. The cost got silly. In many ways what I do now is very similar to using a proper gun. Just without the cost.

2 Likes

Sorry guys but this thread is dreadful.
Shouldn’t be discussing buying weapons of any sort, or for any reason.

7 Likes

Yes, .177 has more carry so better at longer range, just as effective as a .22 for small vermin.

I used to use a Weirauch HW77K to control greys, drop like a rag when head shot, the K version has a slightly shorter barrel.

1 Like

I used to shoot long range when I was in the RN, but sadly, the cost of full bore is now a little silly. 308 winchester was a nice round & the .338 super lapua - ooh yes!

Used to do full bore hand gun at Plymouth pistol shooting club as well when 38 special was a fiver a box!

1 Like

Why not, the OP has a perfectly legit reason, grey squirrels are just rats in trees?

2 Likes

Intresting story of an RSPCA man who was prosecuted for releasing a grey squirrel. Apparently its illegal!

2 Likes

Any shooting has got expensive. I have access to ranges at Lydd and Hythe. Out to 1200M. But its too much per pull with full bore.
A decent .177 over 60 yds is just as challenging especially with gusty wind.
Using chairgun for drops and click adjustment does take the fun out of it. With zero wind, a .177 will be super accurate out to 45 to 55 yds every day. With .177 the wind is the killer. Less so with .22

1 Like

I’m sorry but I think you are wrong. Red Squirrel conservation is important imho, and a lot of time and effort goes into it in certain areas of the UK. There are very few areas left, particularly in England and Wales.

6 Likes

Understand the position re the reduced levels of red squirrels, but have this fundamental issue over killing living things.
Personal opinion if course but shooting animals just feels wrong.

Whats wrong with target shooting?

2 Likes