Album of the year - 2019

Nick

That is how to do it. For me at least a bit of writing about the album adds a great deal.

Bruce

1 Like

Thanks Nick, those recommendation will give Tidal a good workout on a rainy summers day downunder (NZ)
Merry Christmas
Paul

Hi @Nick.Lees thanks for the post. I’ve been flat at work the last few weeks or so and hadn’t considered taking this to a vote yet. Seeing as you have experience in this topic I would (and I’m sure others) appreciate your help on how to narrow this down from all the recommendations above and putting it to a vote. Cheers.

Hi Nick, interesting stuff. I have seen Alain Pire Experience live a couple of times over past 2 years. Absolutely superb.
Got the LP you mention. Most enjoyable.
Prem.

The Master’s Song
71cNwJA6sML.SS500

11 Likes

Mathew Halsall is Playing at the Barbican, 5th Oct 2020. Tickets available now. I saw him a couple of years ago (think it was the Kings Place) and it was a great gig.

1 Like

I will publish my input in a couple of batches…l., but let’s start with something unusual…, guys making an old setup cool again…

4 Likes

@BertBird

These are new to me, really like the energy and excitement, also appeals to me as a brass player.

If you like these would think you would also enjoy Ibrahim Maalouf.

Thanks for sharing, a future purchase as they say.

Merry Christmas :christmas_tree::santa:t2::partying_face:

1 Like

These are indeed great albums!
I bought them all.
I particularly enjoyed the Volodos, the Gatto/Libeer and the Roth.
Great views/interpretations and high quality recordings.
Nice choices! :smiley:

6 Likes

Here is my fave record of 2019 - Neuland

I posted this in the what are you listening to thread when I got it and I have played it a lot. Its ex Tangerine Dream staff Peter Baumann (classic 1970s lineup) and Paul Haslinger (late 80s lineup) doing their own thing. It doesn’t sound much like TD but it is very good in my opinion - its kind of electronic / acoustic progressive downtempo it that makes sense. When it was announced they did a signed LP version, which I ordered but I had to get the download version as well since my record player is long since retired. I think the LP will make a nice thing framed on the wall.

A close runner up is Underworld Drift (the full version). I think this is a real return to the form they had in the 90s. Its a project where they had to release one new song every week for a year! The full version is 5 hours and the bulk of it is very good - some experimental, some vintage UW. I got mine from Highresaudio and it was only £26 for the whole thing. Bargain! As I said in the listening thread, I like the pic of the dog on the cover as well.

Close third is Ghosteen, which other people have discussed.

2 Likes

I put Neuland on my Christmas list - here’s hoping!

2 Likes

1 Like

It’s really interesting to listen through these lists and see what styles are popular. A lot of ‘torch song singing female vocals’ (Lana Del Ray) and navel-gazing morosity (Ghosteen) – both genres that we just can’t bring ourselves to listen to at home. Great performances and musicianship; just not what we like to listen to.

That said, our favorite new music album so far is probably what many themselves would say is ‘nothing new.’ But we like it.

3 Likes

Thank you so much Nick, it is clearly a labour of love for you. I am so enjoying working my way through it. A joy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Besides Nick Cave’s ‘Ghosteen’ album, I really enjoy Lana Del Ray:

5 Likes

All are great recordings and fine interpretations.

3 Likes

Clearly you didnt read my post above ha ha.