Album of the year - 2019

Out of the ones I’ve heard on the list my favourite is The Imperial by The Delines.
So there’s my vote.

3 Likes

You can still nominate another, there’s no vote till NY.

I’ll make one final plea for The Twilight Sad’s It Won’t Be Like This All The Time. If you like music that’s dark, intense, brooding and magnificently Scottish, at least give it a listen.

2 Likes

I’ll remind members to please stick to comment and criticism of the subject at hand rather than of the participating members. Thank you.

7 Likes

It’s a lyric to a song called Irk The Purists, which says more aptly than I could that one should simply enjoy whatever music you like rather than follow the critics. I have no issue with those who do want to follow the critics, but it’s not for me. I confess to not being Meat’s biggest fan although I do have an album by him,

Most of my record buying has been with 50th anniversary sets and rereleases from the Beatles, Kinks, Van Der Graaf and King Crimson. Disappointed there was no 50th anniversary Fairport Convention box set. However, none of those count in this poll so if we are looking at 2019 releases then one I neglected to mention was the King Crimson Audio Diary, which is worth a spin or three.

For the avoidance of doubt this would be my order Iroughly).

Aldous Harding - Designer
Julia Jacklin - Crushing
Richard Dawson - 2020
Lizzo - Coz I Love You
Jenny Lewis - On The Line
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
Dave - Psychodrama
Nick Cave - Ghosteen
FKA Twigs - Magdalene
Nulifer Yanya - Miss World
Bill Callahan - Shephetd In A Sheepskin Vest
Jamelia Woods - Legacy Legacy
Big Thief - UFOF
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors
Lana Del Ray - Norman F#####g Rockwell
Michael Kiwanula - Kiwanuka
Slowthai - Nothing Great About Britain
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Little Sims - Grey Area
Solange - When I Get Home
Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains

I can’t include an album when there’s multiple choices. As per my earlier request please choose one or your post will not be considered.

2 Likes

Also apparently the word “whinge” is offensive to some, where I come from it’s used regularly and hardly anyone would take offence. So I should have been more culturally sensitive and for that I apologise.

Hi Pete,my album of the year is Springsteen’s
Western Stars,imo a return to form,not in his classic way,but also I bit of re-invention.

5 Likes

It’s already on the final list, cheers.

Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars

6 Likes

Kiwanuka by Michael Kiwanuka. Great psych-soul album and with ‘Piano Joint’ one of great audio tracks of the year

4 Likes

Designer by Aldous Harding. Obtuse lyrics but fantastic music and great production

1 Like

Absolute classic yerrrrrr Bruce Springsteen Western Stars. Album of the Year.

6 Likes

Schlagenheim by black midi. Ferocious and inventive guitar band that sounds brilliant turned up v loud. Plus, in Morgan Simpson one of the best drummers playing anywhere at moment

4 Likes

Father of the Bride by Vampire Weekend. Just brilliant music and lyrics. Harmony Hall my single of the year

4 Likes

Now all you need is at least 7 likes to make the poll, cheers.

That maybe true but unfortunately it’s the only way we can get a short list.

I gave you a ‘like’

My choice would be Bruce Springsteen Western Star.

8 Likes