Albums which blew you away on first listen

Funnily enough I do like Marmite. However, having checked out some of that VDG album on YouTube, I suspect it might be languishing in the ‘saved for later’ bit of my shopping basket for a while.

Here’s another one, this ones is from Moulettes, currently on tour in Australia escaping the cold and damp. This time it was a gig that blew me away, the album was more of a grower.

Ooof!
You just transported me back nearly 40 years!

There are probably a few, but this is one I’m currently playing on vinyl and it blew me away on first listening. It’s utterly bonkers in such a good way, heck it’s even got Tom Baker on it:

In addition, how on earth can I only NOW, tonight, after two decades of listening to this have realised why the album is entitled ‘Six’…crazy…

Songs mentioning Winnie the Pooh too, nods to Nutcracker’s Sugar Plum Fairy, what were they smoking/ingesting.

I think this has to be the closest thing to doing psychedelic drugs without actually doing them!

I guess we never had wikipedia and so forth when it was released though I was on the internet back then.

Amazing how a few clicks after a search on this album leads to:

and:

1 Like

This in 1973…

And his in 1963…

5 Likes

Without thinking too hard, there have been more than a handful that I knew from first listen would remain in my listening catalog for the rest of my life. They include, but are not limited to…

1. Meddle -first time I heard this was on a cheesy cassette player with some 3 inch plastic external speakers. But I had to buy it the next day.
  2. Irish Tour 74
  3. TYA-Recorded Live
  4. Sweet Baby James
  5. Ommadawn
  6. Between the Lines (Janis Ian)
  7. Where it Goes (Lori Carson)…probably my favorite album from the 90s’

I find it hard to depart from the Solti Ring because it’s how I first heard these operas in my late teens and I spent a year listening to nothing else (to my parents’ dismay, as neither of them liked Wagner at all).
Best
David

3 Likes

Fairly recently, Meltemi by Alboran Trio. Superb acoustic jazz trio. Check out pianist Paolo Paliaga’s other work too.

Yes this is a very nice album, agreed…

I just cannot stop playing this. It really blew me away on first listen and with repeated plays the superficial gentleness gets peeled away to reveal a myriad textural influences, nuances, subtleties and delights. His album ‘Dust Lane’ is absolutely one of my favourite records of all time, but I really think this might eclipse it.
I just have to resist over-playing it!

I really don’t think anyone would regret spotifying it - or whatever you young people do these days. Frankly, I don’t think anyone would regret buying it either, and the vinyl (he records analogue in his own studio (and all over the place in this case)), and its presentation, is just a joy to behold (three sides with an 'engraving-y thing on the fourth, gatefold etc etc)

Yann Tiersen - All

Here’s a detailed review if you want more info:

2 Likes

Followed by Near Gale, also very good. Shame that Alboran Trio appear to have been very short lived. Azul by Paolo Paliaga’s Horizon Quartet is really good too but rather different.

A topical one this, Scott Walker - Drift, which I checked out (ie bought the CD) after seeing his solo appearance on Later.

3 Likes

This did blow me away.
I liked the first Sound Liaison one mic recording with Carmen Gomes tremendously but this one maybe fits the concept even better. If you want to believe there is a band in your listening room this is it. Great sounding realism. You get the 24/96 version for 8.5 quid, a steal for that kind of quality.

Feenbrothers play Brubeck

1 Like

Can I download this in USA?

Yes you can!

Done I downloaded it in 352 flac didn’t know which of the many formats to choose. Sounds great
Thx

1 Like

Do you have to process it in some special way in order to get it to play on the ND555? I wanted to buy the Carmen Gomes album, but wasn’t sure which formats would play on the ND555, although I see there is an option to buy it on CD.

I suppose that jsaudio was referring to DXD files, which are flacs containing music encoded in PCM 24 bits / 352.8 kHz. The ND555 can indeed read those files.

Thanks, Thomas. At the moment I’m minded to buy the CD as I know that will work and that it’s less likely to have problematic metadata issues.

The ND555 had no trouble playing the FLAC 24 bit 352.8 file. Metadata was good, album cover etc. I had to add the song numbers which I did with Yate.
I had the choice of DSD,PCM and Flac so I chose FLAC only because that is what I usually download.
I downloaded it to my download folder on my MAC and then transferred it to my HD file on my NAS running Asset.
BTW it was the Carmen Gomes album I downloaded single mic recording