Albums you just can't stop playing

I decided to test the new ‘flat’ installation and put a track on from Leonard Cohen ‘Live in London’. I now can’t leave it. Coffee side 2 and I’m set for the next hour or so. How does it sound so addictive, in the jumble of a study/general purpose space? Naim or Leonard to blame ?

2 Likes

Don’t listen to too much Laughing Len, or you might move into the dreaded slit-your-wrists territory.

1 Like

I find his work uplififting. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

…and humorous.

G

3 Likes

He did develop that as he got older I think.

2 Likes

Anyone else have an album that once on just can’t be left?

I tend to be a whole album listener and won’t start one if I know I’ll be interrupted.

G

I have a wife. Interruptions? “Was you listening to that, sorry” :grinning:

Mrs H is an avid reader…we have an understanding.

G

1 Like

I can identify with that. Similar situation here.

1 Like

Tgat has generally been my reaction upon purchasing a new album, if it is any good. Back when my collection was small I think I typically played each new album two or three times a night for a few weeks, then maybe once a night, then a few times a week, etc. It was easy for vinyl records to reach 100 plays in not much time - no wonder many wore out! Nowadays with a collection of 1000 or so I tend to go back to other albums as well faster tgan in those early days, but if a new album is good it gets many plays in the first weeks and months.

I’m now getting horrific flashbacks to my childhood, when my oldest brother (15 years senior to me) would play his records at near full volume on an HMV or PYE auto-changer mono player.
He would either load up the centre spindle with a pile of singles, and then lift the whole bunch up to play over again or, most annoyingly, play a new single without engaging the auto-changer ‘arm’ (don’t know the technical name) so the same record would play again and again and again…
I still can’t play certain tracks by The Who or The Kinks without a chill running down my spine. :crazy_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.