Alison Krause and Robert Plant

Not my cup of tea but I know there are fans on here. Just read that the golden god and Alison Krause have announced a new album. There is a track from it available on the net just released

Already flagged on the general ā€˜What releases threadā€¦ā€™

ā€¦not my cuppa tea at all BTW. I think their voice combo is ā€˜not goodā€™ (the polite way of putting things).

1 Like

Raising Sand is ok but I donā€™t get all the fuss. Imo thereā€™s nothing revolutionary about it but itā€™s certainly a fav among members. Having said that Iā€™m interested to hear what the new album is like.

2 Likes

I like that RP is constantly evolving his music, with some recaps, and is not stuck like JP, even though Led Zeppelin are one of the greats.

I travelled a lot to the US in the late 70ā€™s and early 80ā€™s and my memory of hearing ā€œStairwayā€ and other great tracks like ā€œRamble Onā€ and ā€œKashmirā€ repeating on every rock FM station on both coasts will live with me for ever. @NO-QUARTER may wish to come inā€¦

1 Like

I listened to the new song, thought it was quite good. I saw Plant twice live,once in 1988 for his ā€œNow and Zenā€ tour,and once around 2006/7 with ā€œStrange sensationā€.Both concerts were awesome, I really felt like I was in the presence of (my) God. The highlight of any Plant show is when he starts jamming Zep,then all hell breaks loose.

5 Likes

Good news, looking forward to this release, must be hard to have a creative solo career after LZ - very innovative he has been for sure.

I was surprised in an interview he gave Phil Collins a lot of credit in giving him confidence in making the first solo album after LZ.

3 Likes

Alison kraus has a lovely voice. And she looks good. Which is a bonus.

3 Likes

Whereas, Robert Plantā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

:scream_cat:

1 Like

Sandy Denny didnā€™t. Sadly.

2 Likes

I donā€™t tend to listen to music because itā€™s revolutionary. Iā€™d rather listen because itā€™s good. Iā€™m not signed up on the idea of the new album at all and the single sounds a tepid facsimile of something which was ultimately attractive because it was sui generis.

However I think people struggled with the original because T-Bone Burnett productions use a lot of natural ambience but manage to make it sound unnatural and that was allied to neither singer being a natural fit for each other vocally despite having common ground musically. Both had to work around each other by muting some of their natural instincts.

That restraint plus the production made the album hugely attractive to people who were fans of neither her unsexy purity or his animal growl and came to both artists relatively fresh and unconstrained by expectations from their respective catalogues. A subset of fans of both loved it and a subset genuinely couldnā€™t see what the fuss was about because the album gave them few of the characteristics they were used to from either singer. That, to the artists, was of the course the exact attraction of it.

1 Like

True I do like the album Iā€™m just not in love with it. As for revolutionary maybe in hindsight that was the wrong term. I actually like TBs productions generally

We have a concert with Ron Block next year - he plays with Union Station for those who donā€™t know. Last time I met him I asked him to try to persuade Alison to come over and do a one off for us. So far nothing has materialised! My WemsFest colleague vaguely knows Robert and met him quite recently. The two together in the village hall would be quite something!

1 Like

Getting Alison would be a coup getting Robert Plant would make you a hero.

1 Like

I enjoyed Raising Sand but not so much that Iā€™m chomping at the bit for the next one. Agree about the production, hopefully a different, more natural sound this time round.

My best mate works with RP, proposed tour with AK has been cancelled unfortunately, RP will probably go back on the road with his Shape Shifters at some point next year

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.