Alternative to Minimstreamer with QNAP?

I agree, if it’s only $14usd/yr for the streaming that’s a good deal. I’m not on my personal machine at the moment but will upload the file tonight when I have my mac. I’ll load some screen grabs of my settings in minimserver2 as well.

Here’s my current m3u file stations.

1 Like

I think so, taken from the license page:

The optional MinimStreamer extension is available only with a MinimServer full license. This continues the current approach of MinimStreamer being licensed for a limited period with an expiry date. Your MinimServer full license allows you to use MinimStreamer for 12 months with all updates and new versions included. After this period, if you purchase a license extension for MinimServer updates (see above), this also extends your MinimStreamer license (including updates and new versions) for the same 12 months.

thank you. Interesting that you didn’t add any type definition as in [ id ; type , samplerate , channels ] name. Maybe you set stream.transcode property to Flac:wav ? as all of your stations are FLAC.

Server tab

System tab

Are transcoding and converting the same thing? All my flac radio streams (m3u file minimstreamer) are converted to PCM.

But when I play local files, FLAC, AIF, etc from the minimserver they’re playing in WAV.

In asset I transcode FLAC, AIF, etc file types to WAV and see that when they’re playing back.

The stream.transcode property have two entries. As I haven’t trialed minimstreamer yet, can’t confirm which is in effect for iRadio. *:L16 means transcode anything to L16, aka LPCM with 16bits depth.

Transcoding usually refers to conversion between different digital formats, example from your above screenshot flac:wav. It involves a decoding stage from a compressed format to another representation. In the case of FLAC it is a lossless decode operation which then is packaged in wav format.

You may have come across other terms, such as in the analog domain, Analog/digital conversion (ADC) or D/A conversion (DAC) which refer to a series of processing steps where one is either an encode or decode operation, respectively.

Both terms can be loosely used interchangeably if one understands the nuances.

The *:L16 is not what I’m sure of either, it might be what allows use of the m3u file to stream the FLAC radio stations. Not sure. Or perhaps the stream.converter=ffmpeg allows this?

I thought if I could figure out how to configure Asset to do this I could just use my existing Asset server. I know the bubble app in my container uses ffmpeg so I can get the Qobuz FLAC streaming through the Kazoo app.

Oh the stream converter is the application/software used for transcoding purposes: ffmpeg for both flac:wav and *:L16.

You can just try by eliminating one option and check what works/breaks.

1 Like

@ElMarko is following guidelines I worked out in another long thread here on using MinimStreamer to play FLAC radio streams on first-gen Naim streamers.

The stream.transcode property setting flac:wav,*:L16 tells MinimStreamer to transcode local FLAC files to WAV and to transcode network streams of unspecified type to 16-bit signed LPCM.

Using WAV as the destination for network streams might cause problems as the streams are essentially endless and aren’t designed to fit in a WAV wrapper. See:

1 Like

Salut et merci @Adrian_P ! Another super long and useful linked thread above. It is intriguing as from using @Kurt forwardport proxy, which does ogg/flac unwrapping to wav, it is confirmed that using audio/wav as audio format works for HD iRadio on my Naim gen1 muso1 and other gen1 streamers.
The iRadio list that Kurt’s cloud based service includes a long list of stations. And I think you confirmed that you used flac:wav with success for your iRadio setup.

So there must be some odd combination of the stream source, UpNP media transcoding implementation/configuration and the media renderer capabilities that makes using wav not work for some cases for iRadio.

@ElMarko , reading the linked thread by Adrian, it seems that LMS may be another option for iRadio streaming/transcoding, again why invest time in another solution when what you have works :wink:

@aboulfad I was originally using flac:wav for radio streams but the recommendation from both the author of MinimStreamer and Steve Harris at Naim is to use LPCM for Internet radio streams. The good thing with MinimStreamer is you can have FLAC to WAV transcoding for local files on your NAS and LPCM for network streams.

As to alternatives to using MinimStreamer, the only option I’m aware of is @Kurt 's Forward Proxy which you are already using. There’s no equivalent functionality available in Asset UPnP as far as I’m aware.

I actually preferred the fact that with FWP you could integrate the transcoded stations into the Naim app’s standard iRadio interface because (so that you can assign the stations to presets, for example). It’s just a shame that you have to run the proxy on a separate subnet or VLAN if you run it on your own network.

Sorry I don’t follow: Kurt’s FWP use audio/wav not audio/L16 and the former works with the gen1 streamers as reported in his thread. FYI I don’t use either solutions, I just experimented and evaluated. If minimstreamer iRadio flac:wav worked for you, why switch to L16? Just seeking clarification and info : )

Re your last note, i agree I’d like to preset HD iRadio stations. I setup the FWP/rpi on my managed switch on a VLAN, but just that by itself didn’t change how FWP served stations presented in Naim app, they still showed up under Upnp. I need to learn more about VLAN setup and whether it’ll accomplish that goal without subnetting. Thank you!

As I said above – it’s what the MinimServer author and Naim’s Technical Director recommend. And it’s trivial to have your cake and eat it with MinimStreamer as you can specify multiple transcode settings for different sources in the stream.transcode property.

Thanks for all the clarification @Adrian_P , your explanation for transcoding for local files and radio streams makes sense to me now.

Not sure how I’ve to interprete this, but it’s the Naim app doing strange things when you use iRadio connecting to a radio station (the entry in the FWP) being in the same subnet. In this case the app thinks it’s a UPnP source and redirects you to this screen. Having said that, it’s not that strange as internet radio stations typically do not reside in the same subnet as your equipment. Maybe @Stevesky can comment why they took that design decision in the app?

That’s correct. I don’t know why, but ffmpeg tends to convert all flac to 16 bit depth by default, regardless the input. So, this is why you explictely have to specify the codec to be used when you want to support other bit depths.

Radio Intense on FWP is broadcasting in 24 bit flac and is using this ffmpeg setting to transform it to a 24 bit WAV.

I think the previous sentence explains it, basically with ministreamer/m3u iRadio playlist shows up as on Naim’s app/Upnp input, and you can’t add the individual stations to preset(s) as would be possible with your solution minus the caveat of having to configure multiple subnets.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.