Alternative to spikes on speakers or speaker stands

Is it gathered, carded and spun by dusky maidens, though?

If your going forward with spikes, it could be worth bearing in mind the recent trends regarding them.
Some now recommend not using the locking nut involved to get a super tight lock on the thread.
Having a super rigid assembly can be detrimental in decoupling energy.
Although you could try for yourself without the lock nut and just have the weight giving the lock and see if that makes any sonic difference compared to using them locked tight.

If the speakers was made with spikes as part of the construction, Ansuz feet or my own (that I use under my r8s)! sold by Chord Cables and the name is totally forgotten! they are used by several on the forum and there even was a thread about them not so long ago.
Claus

Our Sonus Fabers came supplied with metal spike plates which I guess were for use on solid or hardwood floors. The wife made me fit them even though they’re standing on carpet.

Sometimes Hi Fi has to be part of marital compromise! Having said that they still sound fantastic.

Yes but how does it sound?

This is my solution. A couple of spare floor tiles stuck back to back with adhesive silicon for each speaker and edged with a hardwood trim. Sounds ok to me, but I have wooden ears.

1 Like

herbiesaudiolab
I bought a set of these “decoupling gliders” for my spiked Sopras on carpet just so I can move them around easily while trying to determine best positioning. I was planning to spike them through the carpet once in optimal position however after several trials with the gliders versus spiked I found that I prefer the SQ with the gliders in place sort of floating on the carpet. The spikes go into the metal disc on top of gliders.
Hope that linking this website is within rules @Richard.Dane

1 Like

Chord Silentmounts. They will settle into carpet. Not really moveable after in the sense of sliding. I put a sheet of hardboard on the carpet to set the location of the speakers, used those paper rulers from Ikea to mark the position, then added the spikes and mounts. With the original steel stands that Graham Audio supplied, they really work.
If you want to relocate later on standard carpet the ice cube and hot iron really works.

1 Like

Spikes on carpet
Least damage especially if speakers not too heavy

You shouldn’t be using spikes to decouple anything - that’s the opposite of what they are meant to accomplish.

1 Like

According to what I read on the CHORD website, the product is limited to speakers up to 50 kg.
Do they have a product that will fit for example- the S600 that weighs over 60 kg?

I bought 2 granite chopping boards and sit my neat xplorers on them. They have downward facing speakers and come with quite long spikes.
The bass response is really good unlike when I had them direct on the carpet

Fluffy.

Not that I am aware. Although in common with many sellers of this kind of item the specification reads “each…will support up to xx Kg”. So are they saying that three will support 3 times xx Kg etc?

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry, we have meticulously set up SBLs. Concrete floor, rubber underlay of some description, carpet and speakers. The SBL spikes go right trough to the concrete and when moved leave 4 tiny holes that disappear when you smooth over the area with your hand.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.