Amazon HD

Champion. Be nice to know your thoughts on it.

Just connected the Node 2i via a pair Mark Grant RCA phono leads I had lying around into the 272.

First impressions very good and the app is easy to use.

I will try toslink into the 272 over the next few days and compare DACs.

1 Like

Following my above post I have now connected the Node 2i via toslink to the 272, this has taken the audio quality up a notch and must be down to the 555dr powering the DAC section of the 272. Amazon HR sounds sublime and also Amazon CD.

Currently the Node 2i is going via Wi-Fi but the Node 2i supports 802.11ac and takes full advantage of my Ubiquiti AC access points but I will try an Ethernet cable in the next few days to compare.

Overall very impressed with Amazon HD.

2 Likes

Seems like a pretty good option then if it’s amazon HD on the horizon! Thanks again for the info

2 Likes

How is this working out?
What output are you using into the 272?

I’ve settled on the following configuration:-

Mark Grant HDX1 digital coax from Node 2i RCA to digital 1 BNC input of the 272
Mark Grant DSP 1.0 figure 8 mains cable for the Node 2i and is plugged into dedicated mains.

Node 2i is using Wi-Fi AC but have tested via Ethernet and there’s nothing in it.

Sound wise its very good indeed and even local streaming sounds sublime and in some ways pips the 272 streaming section but this has got me wondering, when streaming via the 272/555DR you are using the 272 Pre, DAC and streaming section but when you feed the 272 via digital only the Pre and DAC section are used.

The BluOS app is rock solid, easy to use and a great search function for both local and Amazon streaming.

3 Likes

Interesting.
When you feed this Into the 272 digital input several things happen at once:

1. The 272 gets a digital audio feed from a separate source.
  2. The 272 streaming section quietens down electrically and in terms of vibrations caused by processing.
  3. Perhaps there is also a slight improvement of the supply of power to the DAC and preamp of the 272?

So when you are judging the effect of it, it would not be sensible to attribute all of any improvement in SQ to the innate qualities of the Bluesound Node 2i hardware and software and the various extra cables involved.

1 Like

This Node 2i continues to impress Amazon HD sounds fantastic but today I discovered Radio Paradise via the 2i takes full advantage of RP FLAC stream, bonus

3 Likes

Yes its not a bad bit of kit at all, very good value for money. I have been happy with my node 2 for a few years in my second system its reliable and sounds good.

2 Likes

I have a node2 and a powernode2i both are very good and roon ready, the only think poor about the ‘i’ ones is the wifi connection, but on erthernet they are fine. Amazon HD sonds goond but not as nice as Qubuz.

I have no issues with the Node 2i using WiFi but i use Ubiquiti AC access points and the signal strength is spot on.

1 Like

Yes a lot have moaned about the WiFi performance on the i series in general.

Darko makes a comparison of the Node 2i to a Raspberry Pi/Chord Mojo at 18 mins in this video (he prefers the latter, but notes that the Node 2i is simpler to set up):

Thanks I will take a look but I prefer the 272 DAC over the Hugo and you need to hear a Node 2i going via a 272 its superb.

1 Like

I recently purchased a Node 2i. I’m impressed with the app and the connectivity to all the various streaming stations. The way it defaults to the best quality stream available is really pleasing. I originally connected via my DacMagic but extended listening proved that the N2i analogue output was easily equal to it (and the DacMagic is limited to 24/96 so went silent on 24/192 streams) so that is how I use it now. I’m trialing Amazon HD and it is pretty good so I will probably cease my Deezer account and move over. Possible next step is a new DAC - perhaps a Qutest, but I’m not in any hurry.

3 Likes

Instead of the Qutest how about a Naim nDac I have seen these advertised for around £800

I don’t really have room for another full size box - let alone the temptation of an XPS or 555. Also I think things have moved on. I only have limited listening experience so far but the Node is not that far short of my CDX2 (2008 model with XPS DR) when it has a Hi-Res feed. The Qutest looks pretty leading edge and it is small so I can pop it behind the rack. As I say though I’m not in a hurry - enjoying the Hi-Res streaming through the Node.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.