Amazon Music HD

After reading here on the Amazon site

The only mention of Google, Chrome or casting is this:
“At this time Amazon Music HD is not supported on Google Cast.”

So at this point I’m still not sure how to play Amazon Prime HD on my Muso 2 or if it’s even possible.

2 Likes

So I have downloaded the iPhone app.
Nice, that anything bought from Amazon oN CD or Vinyl is listed and playable, but I can’t see what format, bit depth or sampling rate.

Only integration option seems to be Airplay or Bluetooth (if I had Bluetooth headphones switched on).

I don’t know of any native AmazonMusic integrations current or planned.

So won’t be planning on swapping from Tidal anytime soon.

1 Like

Hopefully they will partner with Roon. I am sure Audivarna will look to add it now it’s a serious contender.

1 Like

I have emailed the IPeng, Innuos and USB Audio Player Pro, the latter replied within seconds saying can’t comment at the moment.

I must admit when I read the HD description it almost sounded MQA, like the original recording blurb.

Either way the Bezos machine will make a niche hi end somewhat snobbish market, pretty much open to all.

2 Likes

I don’t get it…ok, Amazon will have HD in its catalog…but how can I stream it? I don’t want fumble around my iphone to stream something …so what about Naim? Linn? Innous? Melco?all the big player out there …will they support it like Tidal and Qobuz today?

2 Likes

They should do but will take time for them to catch up. Plenty of other music systems already support it.

Just tried my Bluesound Node 2 and it now plays the HD and Ultra HD streams.

My Android app just updated I wonder what they changed already?

@T38.45 I just spent a couple of hours trying to get Amazon Prime HD to stream to my Muso 2. I did get the stream working via the Amazon Prime Android App and Chromecast. However, this is not HD (CD quality) or Ultra HD. I chatted with Amazon and confirmed that at this point Chomecast is not supported for HD. So for me, it’s no better than Spotify. Qobuz or TIDAL is the only way I see now for HD streaming to my Muso.

That’s a feature called AutoRip that’s been around for a few years now - on many but not all titles. It’s lossy MP3.

The beauty was the ability to stream audio from a CD/LP as soon as ordered before the physical item has arrived!

Here’s a list of brands that have Amazon music already.

2 Likes

My CD’s stopped working when I put jam on them :frowning:

1 Like

Preferred… note Amazon in the US not sure about the UK also do HiRes type streamer bolts on to existing hifi, like Chromecast I guess.

The last stand audiophile niche companies like Naim, Linn, etc … had with loyal old men to the brand and a trickle of younger adopters, but the entry was expensive hardware. Bezos model is bring it to the masses.

Yes it sounds crap with their hardware according to us here, but we are 1% of the market

For me the problems start when I use them to slice pizza.

2 Likes

do people with nas and using bubble upnp be able to stream hd amazon like qobuz before ?

I’m sure that this is to protect themselves!

A good friend of mine was in the tv and hi fi business in the 1980’s. A kindly older woman bought a vcr from him, but returned it a few days later because it did not play in color. Yes, she still owned a black and white tv.

I tend to believe that competition is good for us customers – pricing pressure and more options for us!

3 Likes

Bubble will need to add the interface first but I’d expect Amazon to welcome and assist any adopters.

As expected, no NAIM. sigh

Does anybody have experience with Bluesound’s Amazon Music integration?

Cheers!

i wanted to say that, with naim streamers, to stream amazon hd is the same as qobuz.

I have subscribed to a free three months of the HD option not previously being subscribed to anything Amazon. I’d prefer to not use Amazon at all but I’m intrigued by the chance of access to their vast catalogue and purchase of HR downloads at decent prices. I have installed the desktop app for Mac OS. It works streaming via USB to HMS/DAVE and into my Naim amps, no problems. But there is one downside. As with Primephonic there is no way I can see how to have the Amazon app respond to the incoming sample rate of the stream; what SR you have set in Audio-Midi settings on your Mac is the rate sent to the external DAC. So unless you change the SR each time once you have checked what it is by clicking the HD tab in the Amazon Music app, you might very well be up/down sampling on the Mac before the stream is sent out to your upsampler/DAC. So compared to Audirvana/Amarra apps and their auto selection of the correct SR value for the incoming stream Amazon HD Music cannot compete if you want properly controlled SR.
The HD Ultra audio quality at its best I found to be very good but some albums, supposedly CD quality, did not sound good at all. So as a streaming service I will be staying with Qobuz within Audirvana or as embedded in my Bryston BDP music player.