Amazon Music HD

Heck the subscriptions are confusing - if you want an annual personal/ Family one do you get the whole year for the same as normal or is the rate adjusted after 90 days even if you’ve paid!!!

The inadvertent click earlier I think was due to a ‘show/hide other plans’ hyperlink which collapses when removing HD leaving the mouse over sign-up!

Not sure if the files are mega huge, but I have circa 65MB speed and it is taking ages to download just one album, or their servers just can’t cope.

I read on the Verge site that if you’re an Amazon Prime subscriber then it’s £12:99 per month.

Yes, it’s confusing.

Basically you have a subscription to Amazon Unlimited Music and it’s an extra £5 add-on for the HD option.

For Prime, if you are an existing/old standard Amazon Unlimited subscriber you get 90 days of HD for free but still have to pay your £7.99 standard fee.

If you’ve never had an Amazon Unlimited Music subscription you can get the whole thing for free for 90 days - saving £12.99 a month for Prime members, more for non-Prime members.

The annual pricing above does not make sense!

1 Like

iPad is 6th generation. AppleTV is HD.
I’ve just AirPlayed a podcast that was better quality.

I should say that I like the idea, especially if they can get it to work with Roon.

In case anyone wonders there is a desktop app for “HD/Ultra HD” audio on Mac and I assume PC - it’ll be interesting to see if this allows hi-res audio output over optical/SPDIF on suitably equipped computers directly to a DAC/streamer - I suspect not due to DRM issue if the stream could potentially be ‘intercepted’.

(from the Amazon Music web player).

1 Like

So many variations they have not made it easy I guess there will be some people subscribing to a tier they didn’t mean too.

:anguished:

If you look at my screengrab above, there’s a checkbox for HD audio (shown) and I either unchecked that option or clicked on Hide Other Plans - the page immediately changes when you click either and I think my cursor must then have been over the Sign Up box and got accidentally clicked as list options disappeared and the box moved up. First World problems…

Might be worth a peek in the Settings as there are a few options for streaming/download quality and also ‘normalisation’ is automatically on.

Just seen a pop up to authorise my phone which I’ve never seen before and is confusing - I only have a single ‘AutoRip’ album purchase (one of hundreds) downloaded in my offline library which I can play without authorisation, but it seems I now have to authorise to add any others.

The T&Cs allow 10 devices to be authorised which seems generous but each can only be re-used after 180 days, and each authorisation can only be changed once - potentially you could run out of authorisations if you replace 10 original devices I assume from that.

1 Like

@CrystalGipsy Thanks. I am currently streaming from the Android Amazon App to my Muso 2 via Chromcast. However when I click the HD or Ultra HD it tells me that it tells me “No information is available while casting”. I think the Chromcast on the Muso 2 is limited to 44.1/16 bit. Do you know?

Sorry no idea. Not sure ChromeCast is actually supported officially according to the blurb, likely it can’t display it as th device it’s running on is not the phone the apps on and gets no feedback. Chromecast should support up to 96/24 but it’s implementation differs per device and application as they don’t always advertise it’s capabilities correctly.

They define HD as CD quality and Ultra HD as anything higher, up to 24/192.

2 Likes

If you click the HD or Ultra HD icon as @CrystalGipsy mentioned the bit rate is displayed, if you click learn more allot of good info, chromecast does not give Ultra.

Clue here peeps is if your an AMAZON prime subscriber then this is an easy step, it just adds another reason to jump on the Prime bandwagon for the masses.

@obsydian Thanks! I am there now reading through it.

Sadly via my Mobile USB Audio Player Pro does not support Amazon and via the Innuos Amazon is not, so a bit useless for Ultra HD.

That said comparing Tidal Hifi to Amazon HD, the latter is allot better, the info suggests I am achieving 24 bit and 48Hz.

1 Like

I thought Chromecast did support high resolution 24/96, is this not defined as Ultra by Amazon?

Pricing is simple to understand if you read the official press.

£12.99 if you already an Amazon subscriber , £14 .99 if you not.

So if you ready subscribe to Amazon Music which is £7.99 you get 90 days free access to the HD tier for the price of the basic sub. They are not going to give the whole sub for free.

If you have Prime and don’t have it have used Amazon Music you get the while shabang for 90 days as away to get new subs obviously.

If you don’t have any Amazon sub products then you pay £14.99 and get 90 days trial.

What’s hard to understand here?

1 Like

It does if the device correctly advertises its capabilities and the app supports it as I posted above. But it’s not supported on Android app right now

At this time Amazon Music HD is not supported on Google Cast.