Amp for Centre Channel

My old Pioneer AVR died some time ago so I bought a mid-range Denon AVC-X4700H.

The front L & R channels are driven by my main system 552/500DR/ProAc D30R (AV by-pass mode). All other channels are powered by the AVR itself. Many people say the center channel is very important so I am thinking about buying a dedicated power amp to drive the centre speaker. I watch movies infrequently (about 10-15 times a year) so don’t want to spend more than £1000-1200. With a Y-cable I can “bi-amp” the centre speaker.

My questions are:

1. With this budget, if I stick with Naim amps my choices are limited to used power amps such as NAP 150, V175, 200 or olive 180, or used integrated amps like Nait XS2, Nait 5si, etc. Which one do you think will integrate well with the front L & R, and what other amps (Naim or other brands) are worth considering?
  2. Most importantly, are these relatively modest amps actually better than the Denon’s in-built amp?

My 7.1 channel speakers:
Front L & R - ProAc D30R driven by 552/500DR
Centre - ProAc Studio Centre (4 ohms)
Rear L & R - ProAc Response 1S
Atmos - KEF Q50a
Subwoofer - REL T/5i

Cheers!

For that budget I’d look at a 200. DR version not important here as you’re not using the inbuilt pre-amp supply.

Well, my choice was a Naim NAP 145. Essentially a mono 250. Mine remains in service attached to my son-in-law’s Naim AV2. Alas, they don’t seem to be easy to find. I find the Arcam AVR850 to be ok driving my centre speaker.

1 Like

If the centre channel is bi-wireable, you can use any Naim power amp and supply two identical preout signals to it and use it as a monobloc.

The NAP145s were interesting amps, but marketed for use in AV set-ups only, so I suppose that the general uptake was low, hence few - if any - available for sale on the S/H market now.

(The model number would suggest that the two-channel equivalent would have been designated an NAP 290, which, as we all know…)

1 Like

Paul Stephenson’s custom two box 145 looked interesting…

1 Like

I purchased a used NAPV175 to drive centre and the two rear channels (SN3 drives the fronts). Works pretty well.

1 Like

I tried a spare of the original Audiolab 8000Ps on my centre channel and then swapped back to my Arcam AVR 550 as desribed by @Dungassin and I have to say it sounds good. As the Arcam is only driving the rear pair, I figured it was worth persevering with.

I have been looking for a NAP 145 but as noted, they are rare! AV use is not too important to us so I’m not convinced the move to something like a 200 would bring too large an improvement.

Quote :
I tried a spare of the original Audiolab 8000Ps on my centre channel and then swapped back to my Arcam AVR 550 as desribed by @Dungassin and I have to say it sounds good. As the Arcam is only driving the rear pair, I figured it was worth persevering with.*
I have been looking for a NAP 145 but as noted, they are rare! AV use is not too important to us so I’m not convinced the move to something like a 200 would bring too large an improvement.

I used to run my Video stuff using all Naim gear, and integrated with a 32.5/Hicap etc (DVD, AV2, 250/145/200/nSystem). Then along came the newer audio formats and not supported by the AV2, so I got the AVR850 which I now use as an adjunct to my 552/300 etc. To be honest, I didn’t really notice any great quality drop in the sound from films etc, and it did reduce the box count a little!

I regard the centre channel as optional for single person use where you can just place your listening chair appropriately, and I feel that its purpose is for the speech to be perceived as coming from the centre. I could probably dispense with my centre speaker, but can’t be bothered to disconnect it.

The AV2 and DVD5 are still in use as preamp and CD player by our youngest granddaughter, with a 175 (used to belong to her dad) as the power amp.

(I wrote the FAQ on integrating AV/Hifi on the old forums, BTW)

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I will get a decent 200 to try it out. I guess improvements that a 150 or V175 brings, if any at all, will not be too significant.

Those are weird-looking things. Is that two ‘boxes’ containing what would otherwise be in the one box?

And, if so, why would the esteemed Mr Stephenson want to split the components into two boxes? I know that he was the boss and could do what he wanted (within reason), but why would he want to do that?

TomTom Audio are very good at locating difficult-to-find Naim equipment. James there seems to relish a challenge.

Hello graham55, the two box nap145 was a staff factory build. no serial, not official.
the second power box has nap300 marking, so i assume someone at the factory had some fun, merging. i dont know who.
I know there is more than one, i have seen them.
paul
the Mr Stephenson, threw me for a bit, we have the same name.

Arcam 550 Avr feeds napv145 with left and right via supernsit 3. Sub tel s510

Speakers focal micro utopia be stand mounts and focal Sopra centre.

Huge upgrade on using arcams internal amps.

I’ve had the napv 145 for over a year and following a service/repair and transformer replacement at Naim hq is now on song and provides a great sonic match to the sn3.

If i couldn’t have the 145 I would go for a nap250.2. and just use one channel.

I may be wrong but I’m not sure biamping centre speakers is possible from most avrs.

1 Like

Hi @Peter_W ,

For green reasons I wanted to use a Class D amp, so I use a Nord three channel for the centre and rears. Works really well powering my Naim Axess centre, with a 300DR for the SBLs. Set up via Dirac.

M

1 Like

Of course, if there is to be a mono block in the new 300 range, that would be another option!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.