Amplification Nap 250 strong enough for?

My first ‘proper’ speakers were a pair of B&W DM 110i in the mid 80’s.

I powered them initially from a lowly Arcam alpha, later Linn Intek but never actually from any Naim amps. They’re in the attic but I blew the drivers on one I used at a staff disco decades ago!

1 Like

Well, you imagine that I listened B&W through my sister’s rooms walls (2 cm thick paper), from 1988 until 2010 there was only Panasonic & B&W in my life :slight_smile: Then came Avantgarde Audio and then a small Heco speaker to get all the oil from the kitchen vapors :slight_smile: Ah and MB Quart in 2013 which got thrown out as I hated the aggressive tweeter. Now I pèlan DM 570 , a little smaller than my beloved DM 580 and surely less bass. For 150 eur with stands available, but I suppose that is a stupid idea :slight_smile:

I believe there’s some strange statement or experience here, perhaps they are based un-qualified or errors.
Talking “80W” speakers and judging differences caused by gain difference, makes me think so.

Just went through your 2021 hifi journey. Very nice what I read and what I see. Didn’t you listen to Avantgarde acoustic horns and what B&W speakers you were interested in. I think we have to discuss a little about Dynaudio, Focal and Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 1 , which were on my list. Thanks for your precious help. Greetings from Germany. HL

Not at all if they work in the context of your system.

My favourite speakers ever in terms of value for money are still my Epos ES14s from the early 1990s. Heybrook HB1s are also up there due to such a fantastic transparent midrange and overall musicality.

3 Likes

I had quite a journey, but are you sure you read mine? :slight_smile: I don’t think I ever mentioned the Avantgarde and never considered them, though they may have been suggested to me, maybe. B&W I probably mentioned mostly to rule them out for aesthetic reasons. Dynaudio I may have mentioned but never listened to (found no reachable dealer). I did listen to Kanta 3 and Sopra 3, SF Olympica Nova 3, PMC fact.8, Dali Epicon 6, Paradigm Persona 3F, Audio Physic Codex. Liked the Codex somewhat, the SF a lot, none of the others. Eventually ended up with local ones from around the corner in Berlin, Sehring Audio S913, which blew me away (https://community.naimaudio.com/t/what-was-the-last-bit-of-gear-you-bought/4115/6141?u=suedkiez)

If your Germany is not too far, I can only recommend visiting Sehring in Berlin Neukölln. Sehring-Audio dot com

1 Like

it’s near Trevorum Romanum, so quite far. Yep I read the right journey :slight_smile: No Dynaudio dealer, wow, and you liked Sonus Faber, double wow. I only travel a max of 100 km as I have some … let’s call it health issues

Were you replying to Suedkiez perhaps?

Bottom line here is that the NAP 250 will be fine with the vast majority of speakers even those which are more expensive, just with more expensive ones better amps might be an enhancement. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

me too, I connected the DM 601 S2 once 12 years ago with Naim and the result with radio broadcast was extreme bass, not bearable. But I suspect speakers were too near (1 m just for a quick test) and next week I connect them again here and I think, that it will be a good synergy now with Naim with the speakers at 2,2 m distance and some toe in.

1 Like

it’s near Trevorum Romanum, so quite far. Yep I read the right journey :slight_smile: No Dynaudio dealer, wow, and you liked Sonus Faber, double wow. I only travel a max of 100 km as I have some … let’s call it health issues

I see. Sehring work with a few selected hifi dealers, one of them near Stuttgart. Still too far I guess. They do ship and have a 4 weeks return guarantee, though. Stefan Sehring is a great guy and if you ever consider new speakers, let him know, I’m sure he’d do his best to help :slight_smile:

The new SF have lost all the boredom of old. If I had not found the Sehrings, I would have probably gone with them. Many forum members have taken a liking to them over the past year or so.

The east of Germany is not littered with hifi dealers, so if a dealer in Berlin does not have what you want, it gets difficult. This was what happened with the Dynaudio, there are dealers but nobody had the ones I was interested in. Next would have been in Leipzig, and they didn’t have the exact model either.
Kudos and other Brits like Spendor or ATC was the same, so I had to skip those, unfortunately.

yes, weli I decided that I have not the pecunian reserve and that my Naim journey started and ends with Nac 282 :slight_smile:

1 Like

…for now anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did my studies at Karlsruhe Fredericiana and still have best memories of the hifi shop there, where I got all my Naim stuff, demo gear or was it brand new :slight_smile: … let’s call it luck I had. I was at phonophono Berlin at my 3rd visit of Germany’s greatest city and the 2 pizzas I ate in a revolutionary communist Che Guevarra italian restaurant, my place was gone while I smoked a cigarette outside. They did not believe me that I would eat a second one, I got my place back. So phonophono helped me already out by mail and by phone a very nice man from hifi Essen also told me some hifi which would work perfectly with my new Sudgen amplifier. At this moment I was not yet aware of the perfect synergy, of the Nap 250 not being responsible for awful bass, so my target was new speakers for my new amplifier. And now Naim audio is back in the game. I surely will call your adviced shop this Friday. Thanks so much.

never say never, I know

2 Likes

One German brand I like, which works well with Naim, is Audio Physics.
Could be on your list.

I totally don’t get along with Phonophono, I tried several times. Somehow it just doesn’t click. I heard the PMC there and they were let’s say not very welcoming with home demo.
Hifi im Hinterhof is my dealer, not far from Phonophono

Was the restaurant one of Il Ritrovo in Friedrichshain, I Due Forni in Prenzlauer Berg, or Il Casolare in Kreuzberg? They belong together and would all fit the description. Was the pizza the best in the world (eating a second one sounds like it) and the rest of the menu southern-italian home-style cooking? Absolutely lovely places.

yes, heard of it last week for the first time, for 10 years I was not interested in hifi anymore as I thought to have found my gear, but I got blinded by the beauty of the white giant in my living-room

well PMC was 1 question in a hifi shop and a direct answer: Too strong for your amp, forget it. Ok I talked about the Sudgen A21 Se Signature, but I also mentioned the Naim and Nope: also the very small PMC 25 in the windows will be too strong. What a fast killing of a PMC listening session.