Amplification Nap 250 strong enough for?

Were you replying to Suedkiez perhaps?

Bottom line here is that the NAP 250 will be fine with the vast majority of speakers even those which are more expensive, just with more expensive ones better amps might be an enhancement. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

me too, I connected the DM 601 S2 once 12 years ago with Naim and the result with radio broadcast was extreme bass, not bearable. But I suspect speakers were too near (1 m just for a quick test) and next week I connect them again here and I think, that it will be a good synergy now with Naim with the speakers at 2,2 m distance and some toe in.

1 Like

it’s near Trevorum Romanum, so quite far. Yep I read the right journey :slight_smile: No Dynaudio dealer, wow, and you liked Sonus Faber, double wow. I only travel a max of 100 km as I have some 
 let’s call it health issues

I see. Sehring work with a few selected hifi dealers, one of them near Stuttgart. Still too far I guess. They do ship and have a 4 weeks return guarantee, though. Stefan Sehring is a great guy and if you ever consider new speakers, let him know, I’m sure he’d do his best to help :slight_smile:

The new SF have lost all the boredom of old. If I had not found the Sehrings, I would have probably gone with them. Many forum members have taken a liking to them over the past year or so.

The east of Germany is not littered with hifi dealers, so if a dealer in Berlin does not have what you want, it gets difficult. This was what happened with the Dynaudio, there are dealers but nobody had the ones I was interested in. Next would have been in Leipzig, and they didn’t have the exact model either.
Kudos and other Brits like Spendor or ATC was the same, so I had to skip those, unfortunately.

yes, weli I decided that I have not the pecunian reserve and that my Naim journey started and ends with Nac 282 :slight_smile:

1 Like

for now anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did my studies at Karlsruhe Fredericiana and still have best memories of the hifi shop there, where I got all my Naim stuff, demo gear or was it brand new :slight_smile: 
 let’s call it luck I had. I was at phonophono Berlin at my 3rd visit of Germany’s greatest city and the 2 pizzas I ate in a revolutionary communist Che Guevarra italian restaurant, my place was gone while I smoked a cigarette outside. They did not believe me that I would eat a second one, I got my place back. So phonophono helped me already out by mail and by phone a very nice man from hifi Essen also told me some hifi which would work perfectly with my new Sudgen amplifier. At this moment I was not yet aware of the perfect synergy, of the Nap 250 not being responsible for awful bass, so my target was new speakers for my new amplifier. And now Naim audio is back in the game. I surely will call your adviced shop this Friday. Thanks so much.

never say never, I know

2 Likes

One German brand I like, which works well with Naim, is Audio Physics.
Could be on your list.

I totally don’t get along with Phonophono, I tried several times. Somehow it just doesn’t click. I heard the PMC there and they were let’s say not very welcoming with home demo.
Hifi im Hinterhof is my dealer, not far from Phonophono

Was the restaurant one of Il Ritrovo in Friedrichshain, I Due Forni in Prenzlauer Berg, or Il Casolare in Kreuzberg? They belong together and would all fit the description. Was the pizza the best in the world (eating a second one sounds like it) and the rest of the menu southern-italian home-style cooking? Absolutely lovely places.

yes, heard of it last week for the first time, for 10 years I was not interested in hifi anymore as I thought to have found my gear, but I got blinded by the beauty of the white giant in my living-room

well PMC was 1 question in a hifi shop and a direct answer: Too strong for your amp, forget it. Ok I talked about the Sudgen A21 Se Signature, but I also mentioned the Naim and Nope: also the very small PMC 25 in the windows will be too strong. What a fast killing of a PMC listening session.

Phonophono played the PMC with a Sugden, but I don’t know which one. The PMC were not bad, but didn’t excite me either. And it’s hard to say because the whole unhappy experience did not allow me to focus on the speaker

Yeah, il ritrivo, lovely, amazing. I knew my description would help :slight_smile: At Phonophono I was so nervous, did not sleep well, full moon and nervous to hear the 1st time a ProAc fitting perfectly my Naim system. Read so much positive things about ProAc and then at Phonophono 
 I just wanted him to stop the music. Well, I was young and wanted the music right in the face. Today, things have changed a little, as I still prefer analytical and Harbeth HL5 plus just is not for me 
 yet If my stomach problems (eating 2 pizzas in the past did not really help) will get worse, I will buy Spendor or Harbeth as I do not stand a little’ more top end treble in such situations, and everything sounds harsh and music has to end. I wonder if Harbeth is aware that their speakers fit best for such patients.

Perfect description :slight_smile: Il Ritrovo is my favorite of the three and I lived very close for years, on the other side of Boxhagener Platz. Good times when it was still wild.

Yeah it’s difficult with the listening in shops, especially when shopping around and going to some you have never been to. Not everyone is relaxed and some are decidedly prim. If the atmosphere is not right or you don’t feel well, it’s impossible to be sure.

Sonus Faber are an insurance against harsh treble, and Stefan Sehring adjusts everything to your own liking (or sends you a bunch of parts and tells you how - the crossover is easily flipped out and you can exchange caps and whatnot)

I had breakfast in the morning, then did around 20 km by feet, had 2-3 beers (what a bad surprise the unfriendly repair shop was near a bridge with a fantastic cafĂ© near a park (border to Kreuzberg) and then around 22:00 I ate again, so I was hungry. I have to find the repair shop. Such a unfriendly old owner. 37 degrees and US president Obama was there and nearly missed the flight, as metro was dead and I needed a taxi, what an adventure I remember. And I began eating lenses bevcause of the green politician eating his soup at Kreuzberg, a turkish man explaining me why in Kreuzberg rents became to rise from around 2010. Such a nice man, Turgut Altug or similar, do not find anything about him now. He was in land farming too with kids. And near the Antifa shop I helped the craziest old wheel chair left wing man to find a red T-shirt in my size with “Die ĂŒberflĂŒssigen”

Some shops in Berlin can be challenging until you figure it out :slight_smile: There is a hifi repair shop at Urbanstraße with an old hippie who is totally great at repairing anything and a real connoisseur, but is scarily unfriendly every time. Lovely in his way, though. Luckily I was born in Austria and lived for a long time in Vienna, so I am used to grumpiness.

The president of the USA was in your repair shop near a bridge? LOL Which one?

We used to run a pair of Rotel 970BX amps bridged mono (180W into 8ohms). Still got them somewhere, with matching pre. Slight hum, need a service.

Make no mistake they were very good clean sounding amps and could drive our Monitor Audio floorstanders to high volumes (still got those too) Many a pleasant evening spent with friends over the years listening to that combo. Had them biamped for a while but dance music simply had more slam with them bridged. 3 jumpers, 5 minute job to switch.

Would we swap our 250DR for the Rotels, or our Sonus Faber for the MAs? Eh, no. :laughing:

The shop’s name and address were on matchboxes I took. I suppose I saw Revox or nice old hifi gear. I told him I was totally in hifi and wanted to have a look around. I asked about 1 hifi element about the connections. He got mad and threw me out. Then I looked through the window to see detail of hifi elements. He fixed me and wanted me to “p
 off” Near Görlitzer Parc I suppose