Amplifiers - Decisions, Decisions

Thank you.

I’m a fan of the XS range myself and own some (pre-power and matching source). However my dealer’s opinion is that the NAC202/ NAP200 amplifier is the best value of the range. Most would add a NAPSC. Such an amp would leave you a bit exposed source-wise, as HH said, and possibly others.

Don’t underestimate the CD5Si. My dealer used it to show the Hicap DR difference to a SuperNait 2. The CD5Si was more than capable to show the differences.

I think you should be taken out a dawn…

… and given a chance to listen to the difference a 555DR can make to a 272! (Even though they’re way outside your budget, you’d never again question external PSUs on line level components!)

Ardbeg10y
Thanks for your comments. I’m pleased with the CD5si and whilst it was less expensive than the other two Naim CD players I listened to I couldn’t really hear much difference. Granted there was a difference but for me that was all it was I couldn’t in all honesty say the other players sounded better.

I mostly listen to classical music and 99% of any difference in the sound coming out of the (Linn) speakers will be due to:

1. The Recording
  2. The Conductor
  3. The Soloist
    4.The Orchestra

Clearly the Hi-Fi components, setup, room dimensions, flooring, cabling, furniture, speaker placement and goodness knows how many other factors all play their part in what we actually get to hear.

I think I need to keep reminding myself what I’m trying to achieve here as it is so easy to get carried away with individual components when in reality there are many factors at play.

Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

Enjoy the music :grinning:

1 Like

Xanthe

Granted. I’m sure the 555 DR makes a fantastic contribution to The excellent Naim amplifiers and at £7000 it had better. As Naim states on their website “ the ultimate upgrade”. I’ll have to take your word for it.

The nuances of Simon Rattle’s recording of Mahler’s Sixth in particular his farewell recording with the Berliner Philharmoniker compared to even his previous recordings is quite remarkable, so I appreciate how such a wonderful component to your system could make all the difference, as always the devil is in the detail.

Assuming I replace the current Linn pre/power amps with Naim equipment I now realise that the power supply is of equal importance and will need to be added into budget from the outset.

Cheers

152 / 155 / FC XS

you can find them s/h for less than 2,000£

Lot of fun

M

Actually getting a s/h 202/200 initially and then upgrading with a NAPSC and a HiCap later when funds allow is a very good approach (as opposed to getting the PSUs up front and compromising on the amps).

Definitely worth considering both approaches and auditioning both if you can.

Test worked.

See post on padded cell just now, not sure how to reply to a specific poster, mental block!

Long week?

Ideally you listen and decide which one will suit you best. Others can only share their experiences which may or may not be important to you.

Based on my limited experience with the original Nait XS, NAC 202 / NAP 200 and amps from other manufacturers, the Nait XS sounded very similar to the Rega Elicit Mk2 when I compared both in my system with my speakers, the Harbeth Super HL5. During that time, I own the Rega Elicit and was attempting to salvage the Harbeth speakers as it sounded lacklustre and uninspiring when driven by the Rega amp. The Nait XS didn’t provide the fireworks either and I was surprised that it sounded almost the same as the Rega Elicit.

I later tried the Naim NAC 202 / NAP 200 and ultimately the amps saved me from selling the Harbeth speakers. In my mind this pre/power combination sounded quite special, perhaps exhibiting a slice of Naim’s signature “house sound” of speed, rhythm and dynamics. To my ears, regrettably the Nait XS didn’t possess this trait and sounded like most mainstream amps out there, sorry. Maybe it will sound a lot better with the Hicap power supply, I’m not sure. When I listened to the Nait XS in my system, it didn’t have the Hicap and NACA5 cables connected to it, and that may the reasons it sounded rather mediocre.

In the end, it’s all about musical preferences, speaker/amp and speaker/room interface. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

I am not familiar with your Linn Keilidh speakers but would suggest looking at the Supernait 2 or 202/200 as a start. Best if you can listen to the amps in your system to see which you would prefer. Having said that, the Nait XS2 may be sufficient to cater for your needs or requirement.

Ryder

Thanks for such a comprehensive response, I really appreciate this.

Overall, i’m Going to have to spend some time with the dealers and try and determine if the XS2 with the power supply delivers what i’m Looking for.

I have a feeling that the Naim sound and pace so many contributors talk about probably have their origins in the likes of the Classic series of pre/power amps or perhaps the Supernait 2 integrated and in all cases everyone says the power supplies are important and probably essential. This all gets quite expensive so maybe ex-displayor secondhand might be an option.

So, lots to consider and you never know the XS2 with FlatCap XS May give me the sort of upgrade i’m looking for.

Thanks again.

I was at my local dealer today. I have the XS2 and asked him about a Flatcap with it. His opinion is yes it would make an improvement to the sound but maybe not a lot for the £1400 and that there might be other, better ways to spend that sort of money.

I really wouldn’t get hung up on power supplies. Quite a few people prefer the Nait by itself. The power supply money would be better used upgrading the CD5si.

Hi guys

Regarding the power supplies, that’s an interesting point of view. I guess like most things I’m just going to have to spend some time listening to the various options. It’s so easy to get carried away and the objective here is to enjoy in the best possible way the actual music itself.

After all it’s the music of Bach, Mozart and Phillip Glass I enjoy, even if I do spend too much time reading Hi-Fi magazines and talking to friends about the pros and cons of MM and MC phono amps…

Cheers

Were Naim not so clever at extracting all of the money we are willing to pay, I would still be loving my now-departed 112/150/FC2X/CD5X.

Had it not been so compelling a system, I would not have been made curious and inquired upward. Maddening, in a way, all this joy.

Nick

I’m running a cd5si with a 202 / 200DR and in practice it sounds great, very musical and detailed, despite it being a mismatch in theory.

It doesn’t sound mismatched to me :blush:

1 Like

Another option is to look for a used Supernait, the original, it has a very good DAC in it, and can be used right out go the box, one can add a Hicap down the road. But what I like about it, it can be used as a power amp, thus you would have the ability to try a 202 or even a 282, sound far fetched, not to me
I am using a 282/HicapDR/supernait power amp with fine results.

I think the Supernait has been one of the best products Naim has made, certainly for value and flexibility and it has got some oomph.