An active life for me

Look forward to hearing how you get on .

1 Like

Had a listen at my dealers, the Linn sounded better than the 552/250/NDX2/555 playing into Kudos 606 and by some margin. Also had a chord Dave which sounding very good too albeit not a road I will explore further.

I have a bit of an issue I need to solve in my room which will save for another day but the Linn with their ornagik DAC is a very interesting proposition - too much to spend in one go but with trading in other equipment it is viable.

Will spend some time listening and report back on a different thread as this one belongs to the ATC’s!

Gary

1 Like

I’ve never heard them, but they certainly look snazzy!

Its’s interesting in how people’s perceptions and room acoustics vary. A contributor to this forum (@Camlan) is/was running 100aslts in a relatively compact space with these hefty speakers close to the wall.

A bonus for me using the ATC’s is reduced transformer noise,sans 135’s, and after years of having my system powered on 24/7, I am saving approximately 2kwh per day in electricity by turning the speakers and pre-amp off when I know I will not be using the stereo.

The ATC’s don’t need much warm-up, and neither to my ears does the pre-amp. Although I only work Mondays to Wednesdays, I am up at 4:00am on those days,which means I just don’t use the system much until late in the week.

My purchases over the last couple of years have been with the long-term in mind, to whit I have ordered a Stressless Magic chair to replace the less than comfy chair I have now, although I suspect staying awake in it might prove to be an issue.

1 Like

With effective implementation and correct aligning, DSP/room correction calibration and dialling in it’s perfectly possible to have these and other speakers of similar design/specs to work perfectly well in an environment of this size.

eg. Pics below show SCM50ASLT’s against the wall and a C4 sub in the back right hand corner of the room working in harmony with it’s environment.

Btw, there is no passive room treatment in the small living room of this terraced house :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My 40a arrive on Wednesday. Very excited to get them set up and run in!

1 Like

I think room acoustics pay a pretty big part in my old house (square listening space 5mx5m) most things I tried just worked but that room had solid brick walls - my room now has a relatively low ceiling and plasterboard walls with large gaps and getting anything to work has been a royal pain the the backside……

I think with speakers more than any other component you need a good dealer and home demos.

Gary

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine.

I’m pleased that a British manufacturer of long-standing is doing well. I wonder if their professional, music industry heritage which has provided engineering excellence has to some degree held them back in the domestic arena.

This was the advice I received from ATC re powering off . I turn mine off pretty much every night .

Leaving the amplifiers switched on at all times will probably have a greater impact on your electricity bill than it will on the performance of the loudspeakers. When the amplifiers are switched on, the components can take a few minutes to warm, during which time there may be a very minor reduction in THD+N but the audibility of this “improvement” is debatable.

There is some argument that heat cycling the components very regularly causes them to fail and to an extent, as with all electronics this is true, however one must consider that subjecting the electrolytic capacitors to constant heat will reduce their life more quickly than the power cycling.

We have some customers that decide to leave the amplifiers on all the time and that is fine but personally, I would turn them off when not using them.

2 Likes

What’s certain is that leaving them on will increase your electricity bill. I don’t use the system for at least half the week, so it is an utter waste, bearing in mind they really don’t need any warm-up

1 Like

I think for decades they just largely ignored the fickle hifi marketplace, just a nod in the form of veneer on cabinets. What made them start to push it I don’t know, making more domestically acceptable finishes etc - and led to them ceasing to supply their drivers to the DIY market, and (I think thouh not confirmed) to at least some hifi speaker manufacturers (e.g the fabulous SM75-150 dome mid unit, which a few hifi manufacturers had used.

Why put the record player between the speakers?

1 Like

It’s a record cleaning machine: my LP12 is atop my Mana phase 6-7 stack :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well mine were installed yesterday.

Already notably better than the passives I had on loan. So much grip and control!

7 Likes

I never tried the passives: I wanted to reduce my box-count, and use the money from selling my 135s to offset the extra cost of the the actives.

I’m only using mine in a small room, but the r/h speaker when viewed from my chair is a few cable-metres from my Supercap, hence my purchase of the Canford transformers.

Hope you continue to enjoy them: maybe the “ATC boys” will catch up with the “Kudos boys” numerically :smile:

Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but do Naim users going active with ATC find that this in part changes aspects of the so called Naim sound, as the Naim poweramp is then out of the setup?

Regards

1 Like

For me, yes a little. I had the passives on loan with a 250dr. I find Naim has a bit of a lower mid emphasis, the actives really add an upper bass punch that is not there in the passives with 250. I prefer it, some may not. I think the 282 gives just enough of the Naim sound for me.

1 Like

Difficult to say for me: my auditory memory is fairly short, but the Olive gear sounds different to the current equipment, so perhaps the difference is more apparent when substituting the ATC’s for Olives.

The ATC’s are very even-handed imo, which I have always found to be a Naim strength

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.