Annie Nightingale RIP

Unfortunately Annie Nightingale has left us. Joined R1 as their first female DJ in 1970 and remained for the next 54 years! I will particularly remember her for her TOGWT hosting and am very much hoping that we get some re-runs on the Beeb

31 Likes

Very sad indeed she was a great presenter and had a witty and sometimes cheeky presence.
Friday nights were great in the good old days.
RIP Annie Thank You.

15 Likes

What a terrible shame. After the late great Mr Peel she was my fav DJ, but so much more than ā€œjustā€ a DJ. Keeping spinning the discs in that big festival in the sky.

10 Likes

83, wow. What a great career. I loved her shows and she always seemed a really nice person.

11 Likes

Very sad an absolute favourite of mine. OGWT particularly. RIP.

5 Likes

Ohno. I loved listening to her show after the top 40 on Sunday nights in the 1980s
She had a particular segment devoted to the Duranies - Duran Duran fans phoning in giving grievances to the other pop stars taking them away from being No1.
She was only just subversive enough to continue a playlist featuring The Cramps after playing Duran Duran. Loved her voice. Sounded like my imaginary cool aunty- which she definitely was.
Paved the way to legendary John peel with his late nighters.

Will always associate these tracks with her shows.

11 Likes

Will always associate Annie with Steve Miller Bandā€™s Macho City (long version). Seemed to play it every week at one point. And why not. Not sure the reviewers liked it but Annie certainly did and I still do. She was terrific. RIP.

9 Likes

I always felt that she was one of the relatively few people that loved what she was doing & was amazed that someone was prepared to pay her to do it.

4 Likes

Her obvious love of music meant that she was absolutely in the perfect job.

One of the coolest presenters around at the time.

R.I.P. Annie, much missed. :kissing_heart:

8 Likes

Annie certainly didnā€™t seem her chronological age and her music choices kept moving. Her love of music was infectious.

2 Likes

Very sad to hear this. An amazing career and a great ambassador for new music. RIP Annie.

1 Like

Sad news indeedā€¦ā€¦
Gary

1 Like

Very sad news.

Iā€™m a little ā€˜youngā€™ to remember her hey day on the music scene but I met Annieā€™s son Alex on more than a few occasions at parties in the late 80ā€™s in Brighton where they both lived he too was very involved in the music scene back then championing the Acid House scene and especially Primal Scream and their association with Andy Wetherall that led to the incredible ā€˜Screamadelicaā€™ album and the bands huge success.

4 Likes

Yes. Annie was definitely a Raver.

2 Likes

Annie on a Sunday evening was the soundtrack to most of my homework at secondary school. Her love of the music she was playing was infectious. A broadcasting legend for sure.

6 Likes

To me sheā€™ll always be the lovely warm voice that made Sunday night homework OK

Bet someone here can ID the radiogram

6 Likes

no way this is saddening news loved her radio show, i met her in london few years ago just after the bon jovi these days tour at Wembley stadium a fantastic woman, r.i.p Annie

1 Like

Itā€™s one of the Decca RCG range. :thinking:

2 Likes

Yep, me too!

Another couple I always associate with Annie during the late 80s. :heart:

4 Likes