Another stacking order Fraim question

Dear all,
I have two Fraim stacks:

552DR Head 552DR PS
Space NDX
Radikal Space
300DR PS 300DR Head

My Linn Klimax (90% of serious listening) is on a wall shelf above the 552 head unit. NDX is for background stuff (hence no PS `or upgrade to NDX2)
The reason I have the 300 head unit in stack two is the distance my speakers are away from the rack when optimally positioned in the room. I’m using Super Lumina speaker cables that for the right hand speaker is at it’s length limit (not under tension though).
The obvious answer is to swap the 552DR Head and PS around, but silly as it sounds, access to the 552 head unit and the aesthetic for me is much better with it on top of the LH stack.
So, the question is - am I really compromising much here by having the 300PS at the bottom of the LH stack?? Are there any other suggestions that might keep the 552 head unit on stack 1, but that might see an improvement?
System sounds great, so no complaints, just idle curiosity I suppose.
Oh, and I can’t move the Fraim stacks closer to the speakers either
Thanks

1 Like

The golden rule with the 300 and 500 amps is to get the burndies off the ground and away from walls – if not bass gets muddied, which then muddies the detailing IME. If you’ve achieved this, which looks unlikely given positioning on the bottom shelves(?), then all looks good to my eyes. I suspect your options are also limited due the length of interconnects?

1 Like

This would perhaps allow you to keep burndies off the floor? That’s if it gives enough room for speaker cables.

Left
552 head
Space
300PS
Radikal

Right
552 PS
NDX
300 head
Space

Or if 300 head needs to go lower:

Left
552 head
300PS
Space
Radikal

Right
552PS
NDX
Space
300 head

Always a compromise.

1 Like

Thanks guys - good comments/suggestions. Yes, the 300 burndy is indeed on the floor, so Dan’s suggestion is a good one - I’ll give it a shot

Quick follow up, I now have

Left Stack
552DR Head
Space
300DR PS
Radikal

Right Stack
552DR PS
NDX
300 DR Head
Space

Everything reaches, no cable strain and burndies all off the floor/walls and no cables touching.
Improvements - definitely bass clarity and cohesion
Questions - maybe a shade brighter sounding, but still evaluating.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

can you get the head units in one stack, then the psu’s in one stack…thats something that blew my mind sound wise

1 Like

Hi, in theory yes, by swapping the 552 head unit and PS around, but, as I mentioned in the opening post, I wanted to avoid doing that. Easy to try though to test it out

it made a huge difference with my system mate, 100% worth a go. you just get more of that naim magic

mine is stacked like this.

left side:

NDS
300 HEAD

right side:
300 PS
Soon to be another 555dr
555PS
SUPERCAP

having the 300 ps on the top right allows all burndies off the floor

Here’s what works for me:

LEFT (Brains)

LP12
NDX
300DR head unit

RIGHT (Brawn)

Aura
KRad2
300DR PS
SCDR

HTH?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.