Antenna for FM tuner (Germany)

The Nat3 thread has some great antenna info too.

2 Likes

There is so much choice on the internet. Attached are just a few that I have been listening to. Some very nice live Christmas concerts.

Full quality with a proper setup using a galaxy antenna from Ron Smith must be very good Iā€™m sure and must confess Iā€™ve never heard that setup.
However the result from internet that Iā€™m listening to now is actually very good.
It should be said as well, one does not need a hundred stations to be happy but to have the best of all worlds is a very rich experience. Iā€™m sat here now in the middle of nowhere enjoying emissions from these stations. Wonderful

2 Likes

Years ago, when our youngest daughter was living in a flat with no external aerial available, I bought her an amplified FM indoor aerial which worked very well, though not in the same league as my rooftop Ron Smith array (alas no longer with us - destroyed in a gale a few years ago)

Just did a check on line and managed to find the item for sale (I would post a link, but not sure that is within forum rules). The aerial is Cobra FM 405 Antenna. (the picture on the site appears to be the same item as I remember)

1 Like

Thanks. We live in the city and many radio stations are covered by multiple transmitters. But on average we are between 10 to 14 km away from the nearest transmitter.
Maybe I will just buy a cheap tuner off eBay for 20 EUR and give it a try with a simple dipole just to see how it goes, before I invest in a proper NAT tuner.

1 Like

NAT05 will not be too difficult to find at good prices.

I think - and fervently hope - that FM radio will be around for quite a while yet, so get the best NAT you can affordā€¦

1 Like

In Germany there are some seriously good stations with good music without alot of bla bla bla. Like I said if you can place properly a decent antenna then go for the NAT05. For sure nowadays they are good value for money and sound great

I wouldnā€™t quite agree on this subject.

I remember when I had 02 and later 01, the latter did require better antenna than 02.
Making my antenna and transmitter conditions not good enough for 01.

My 05 is even better on this subject though not quite performance of course, decent or more it is, just slightly after a 03.

My favorite was Nat 101, cool tuner but probably not supported nowadays.

Iā€™m pretty sure Naim can still service the NAT101. Iā€™m sure @NeilS can confirm or not.

1 Like

I may have got this wrong, but I seem to recall that the tuning dial on the NAT101 was a recycled plastic bottle. Can this be right?

Yes, the tuning dial strip was stuck to what has been variously reported as being either the bottom section of a plastic washing up liquid bottle or measuring cup. All part of the Naim mystiqueā€¦

Thank you, Richard, youā€™ve made my day!!!

I wonder what the Sonys of this world would have made of that!

Indeed we still service all the tuners, only issue is with the early NAT01 vacuum fluorescent display which we are unable to revive.

And the tuning drum in the 101 was the bottom of a measuring jug with a spout. We used to have a complete one knocking around somewhere - havenā€™t seen it for a while though. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m not sure that idea will provide you with a good experience. There is nothing like a Naim, a lesser quality tuner is not representative of the quality you could achieve. Try a simple Band 11 dipole hidden out of view, not a circular one, they are not as effective as a long rod. Donā€™t be tempted to use an amplifier to increase the signal, they can degrade the sound too. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks. I am a bit concerned about the reception with my limited options for an antenna. But maybe I will give it a try and if reception is too poor I can probably sell the tuner again with little or no loss.

That really is the trouble buying in the blind so to speak because only you can decide. Personally I would not buy expensive HiFi components without a home demo.

You may be lucky - the NAT03 and NAT05 can sometimes work pretty well even with just a fairly basic dipole antenna. It will all just depend on location and reception.

1 Like

Will be happy to recommendtion about German radio stations which play English 70s or new good music , if you can suggest I will try to find it in the net

Sorry but I donā€™t know any. I mainly listen to the channels HR2, BR Klassik, WDR3. If the streamer has a good control app, I find it easy to navigate through the various countries, genres, etcā€¦ to find/discover new stations and see what is available.
To be honest I have never really caught onto radio and I bought a NAT05 in 2004 which got very little use because the transmissions via cable were not great and the magnum dynalab st-2 did not work so well in our previous flat. Of course if I had a decent antenna pointing to the Taunus FM transmitter it would have got alot more use.
That said I am now listening to France Musique in the middle of nowhere via the Auralic and it sounds amazing :smiley:
There are some good looking concerts on later. Handel Messiah. At this rate i think internet radio has significantly improved to the point, probably due to the ā€œinternet for allā€ initiatives and will be getting alot more attention from me, especially when there are some good concerts to listen to. With the internet it is also easy to browse the multitude of radio programmes to find interesting stuff to listen to.

Currently listening to the Choral Fantasy Beethoven on France Musique 192.515kbps AAC and it sounds very good :smiley:

I had an Olive 01 for many years using a large room mounted aerial. I enjoyed it, it often sounded vey musical and it gave me many years of pleasure.
I sold it earlier this year and now stream Naim radio via Ndx2/555drps.
I donā€™t miss the 01 at all
I have unlimited radio stations to choose from any most of them sound wonderful.
David