Anxiety and Depression

Sounds rather like procrastination, to me… maybe… :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll think about it and get back to you.

4 Likes

Brilliant… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I hope you hear soon.

Phil

2 Likes

Cheers. :+1:

1 Like

With having a “cabin” built in the back garden, (not for my use of course - but for the wife to use as a dance studio and sewing room) there has been a lot of mess and a lot of extra jobs - torn up lawns, extra drain laying for rain water, a retaining wall that needed to be built, an area around the studio which needs sorting/reworking, an area behind the studio which got cleared that is now just dirt and rubble plus a big pile of timber from the old, and had to be torn down, wood shed and other rubbish that needs to be thrown out. Oh and we need a new wood shed. So with all of the jobs to do outside, plus we want to move my study from one bedroom to the old sewing room which needs a new ceiling (and so does the hall) plus fully decorating and new internet cables running under the house.

Some of these jobs have been done ie; relaying the drain and putting a new soak hole in (because the soak hole which was just for the garage was too high in the ground and so had to be moved) plus they dug out the soil that had washed down to the garages floor level and so the garage was getting flooded when it rained, and a subsequent retaining wall.

Ceilings are getting a quote for next week, also she has now decided on what she wants outside the front of the studio and we will get a quote for a ground level deck too.

Anyway this work load has brought on anxiety in a big way and so I am going to see a counsellor Monday.
I have been struggling at work too and have had to have a couple of days off.

Wife suggested that these jobs don’t need doing straight away, but I look out the window or walk to the car and just see a mess, some of which I don’t know how to fix, and a large number of jobs that I’m angry about.

Hopefully I will get a re-education in how to deal with my thoughts and after a few visits I will be back on track! I keep doing the breathing exercises :smiley:

4 Likes

Understandably. Just reading it almost set me off…!! Good move on seeing/talking to a Counsellor. Hope that they work for you. Its a good option, but may not be a quick one.

Regarding the ‘Works’ - make a list - any sort of list. Sub-divide each work areas down as much as you can. How do you eat an Elephant… :elephant: In Bite Size chunks. Works for almost anything (*).

Smaller tasks - look easier, are easier to tick off - looks like progress, with less effort.
Win-Win… :crazy_face:

(* - its just Project Planning. Needs a bit of upfront effort, but well worth it.)

2 Likes

Then add it to the “Fucket list”

4 Likes

Yes, @IanRobertM I should do that thing with the list, see how it goes.

1 Like

I have a lot to do around our property over many years, and I’ve found it overwhelming at times. I found having a list and then breaking things down into manageable steps help a lot. If you enjoy the work at a sensible pace, it can be quite therapeutic- especially as a degradation from mental work (if that is your line of work).

Other than that, you need a man shed for yourself :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks @Mike_S .
The only man shed I’ll be getting is the garage, with cars in it and no room for the Hi-Fi :smiley:

1 Like

I find making Lists and ticking things off, works well. Its both practical and therapeutic… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ian
Remember the advice about rationalise and don’t catastrophise you gave me.
And my story about my boss .
Well I sent him a link to here and told him I was Tabbycat and when I saw him in passing he said he loved my post and your reply…I didn’t even have to say anything…he just goes Bite Size Chunks …I said what are you up to ?
…he laughed and said eating an elephant :elephant:
So thought I would share

3 Likes

Glad it worked for you… :elephant: :smiley:

1 Like

Good evening everyone,

A number of recent posts have indicated significant problems in some people’s lives. These are real issues and some could lead to outcomes much more serious than we might wish or imagine. For many, it will be helpul to air their issues on this forum and responses can be very useful in the sense of offering empathy, sympathy and general support. This is good. Overwhelmingly, members wish to help and their intentions are admirable. Indeed, often, the advice or empathy comes from personal experience and this can be very powerful testimony

Some forum members have offered links to external sites - often on YouTube - which might give some cause for concern. Many of these sites have very catchy titles and some offer instant, but superficial and often trite “insights” into very complex issues. This is not good. Generally speaking, there are not “Eight ways to …” sovle a problem of any gravity, or “Five signs that you are …” suffering from a mental health issue - or a genius!

I have had a look at some of these sites and one feature of them seems to be is that it is not possible to discern the qualifications or experience of the authors of the “Eight ways …”, or the “Five signs …”. This is not to say that they are all charlatans, cheats or quacks (although some probably are). Critically, they are not YOUR doctor or mental health therapist, who knows your circumstances or issues and the content of the sites might be considered using the 80/20 rule. They are 80% entertainment and 20% therapy, at best, whereas a doctor or mental health therapist working in a bone fide health setting should strive to be the reverse, at least.

One thing that I have found on the internet sites is a disclaimer. As an example, in the terms and conditions of one site, they are VERY clear that they are not responsible for information on the site which is not accurate, complete, or current! This is not unexpected, but it is cautionary, nonetheless.
One of the videos contains a reference (which is rare, in itself) to an academic paper which does not seem to exist. I could go on with more examples of how they distance themselves from the possible consequences of relying on their information, but I’m sure that you get the point.

Anyone who feels that their state of mind is interfering with what might be considered a normal life should consult a qualified professional. It’s fine to “vent” here - and support from others can be very, very helpful, but the broader internet is probably not the best place to find solutions.

Best wishes,

Brian D.

14 Likes

Dr Google and nurse YouTube can be very dangerous in the hands of the untrained. Thank you for your wise words and advice.

Interesting article in the Independent today based on research.

We’ve got sleep all wrong – what we really need is deep rest (and here’s how to get it)
If low energy is getting you down, don’t panic, says Anna Magee, your body is behaving exactly as it should do in January. But if you are also finding it hard to sleep – it may be because you have lost the ability to rest. The trick? Learn to embrace tiredness…

It identifies a number of different types of rest and some solutions including things not to do.

Phil

3 Likes

I guess January for you guys is different too us, January is the middle of an often hot summer.

On a serious note I’m struggling with sleep at present. Going to sleep isn’t the issue it staying a sleep. Been waking at 2.30 - 3.30 am and find it difficult to get back to sleep.

This…?

(full article is behind a Pay Wall… :expressionless: )

1 Like

When I had my prostate problem nearly 7 years ago there was plenty of waiting at each stage for results and appointments. Try to convert your worries into actions that resolve the worries as much as possible. Get to know your enemy so that fear does not take hold. Sleep often requires waking up and doing something for while.

Phil

1 Like