Any Modern Classical?

a few more examples.
most moderm music use dissonance to extend expression, the ones below are relatively mild

John Adams: Nixon in China (opera)

Igor Stravinsky: L’Histoire du soldat

Roberto Gerhard: The Plague

Steve Reich, “Music for 18 Musicians”

Allan Pettersson: Symphony No. 7

Messiaen - Turangalila-symphonie (really big orchestral work, includes old electronic music instrument ‘ondes martenot’ lately favored by Radiohead)

2 Likes

Learn to love Elliott Carter

Maybe my English ears are tuned to it, but I think 20th Century classical (as opposed to modern classical, which I think is a genre all of its own) then you can’t go wrong with Frederick Delius and Ralph Vaughan Williams.

For Delius I regularly listen to the legendary regardings made by (the legendary) Sir Thomas Beecham with “On hearing the First Cuckoo in spring” being peak English pastoral, along with….

…”the Lark Ascending” by RVW - just a stunningly beautiful piece, and it’s impossible for me to listen to without closing my eyes and being in a version of England that we all recognise, but have never seen. It’s “Cider with Rosie” in notes.

I align with an earlier post that when turning to the Symphonic style, both these great composers lose a little for me. But the “tone poems” and as good as 20th Century music as you’ll ever hear, and as I’ve said, if you’re English then they’ll tap into something in your DNA.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Philip Glass yet and definitely worth a listen. Good place to start is Glassworks and soundtracks to Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi/Mishima. The recent recording of his piano works by Vikingur Olafsson is fabulous. You can then have a look at later works such as Low Symphony and Heroes Symphony ( inspired by David Bowie). Also a thumbs up for John Adam’s and Steve Reich - particularly the latters Electric Counterpoint with Pat Metheny

1 Like

Have listen to Mike Oldfields , Music of the Spheres.
If that’s not modern classical music I don’t know what is.

Forget Tubular bells and listen to this.

May I humbly re -submit this as a suggestion for somewhere to start

Another RVW work to listen to if you like the Lark is “Five variants on Dives and Lazarus” - arguably the best of his folk song inspired works.

Although I must put up a strong defence for RVW symphonies all of which I love. I have a particular fondness for the London Symphony (No 2) and the Pastoral (No 3) which is actually a war requiem in all but name. But the middle tryptych of the 4th, 5th and 6th are all astonishing works and I would argue the greatest post Elgar British 20th century symphonies. Attending a Prom with all 3 conducted by Andrew Manze stands out in the memory.

On a lighter note, try the Malcolm Arnold dances (English - two sets, Cornish, Irish, Welsh, Scottish).

2 Likes

RVW’s London symphony is one of my all time favourite classical pieces - I love the Hickox recording of the original 1913 version and Previn’s recording but my favourite is Haitink with the LPO

1 Like

You may or may not like Schnittke - try the Faust Cantata or the Glass Harmonica score as starters…

https://m.facebook.com/historyofmusic2016/videos/1884133388553253/

That’s a rather brisk performance but gives a reasonable idea

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FTeTaXJruhU

No idea why I can’t get these links working using the app - will fix later

While we’re in with the Russian drama you may also like the Prokofiev 2nd piano concerto:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B509lPaV6J4

I really don’t think RVW gets the credit he deserves. To my ears he has more subtlty than Elgar could muster - who I’m afraid I struggle with, it’s my issue rather than his, but there is a nationalistic side that I means I can’t fully enjoy.

I’ll revisit those RVW symphonies.

He was a super interesting man - complex personal life to boot. Contrary to appearances - QUITE the lover. That just adds the bit of colour that I like.

Frederick Delius was born in the house in Bradford that i spent some of my childhood in, it was my fathers office and I’d go there most days, and so he will always be special to me. I know the Delius society were always talking to Dad about buying it, but I don’t think they ever got it over the line. It’s not the only reason that house on Claremont was of interest, it gained some notoriety via the rear yard being significant in the investigation of one of Peter Sutcliffes crimes. I remember the day very clearly, even though I was only a small boy. The juxtaposition of Delius and Sutcliffe rolls around my head sometimes.

His relationship with Eric Fenby was also a fascinating one (Delius not Sutcliffe)

3 Likes

Another piece of tuneful English music which I feel is rather sadly neglected is George Lloyd’s 5th symphony. I prefer the Edward Downes recording to the composer’s own. The second movement is worth it on its own.

GL had an unfortunate war when he was torpedoed by his own ship and suffered badly from shell shock. He virtually gave up composing for 20 years and was a market gardener. Much of his active composing life was at a time when tonal music was rather out of fashion so he has been rather overlooked. Not a great but certainly a very good composer.

3 Likes

Also worth checking out is the English composer Ruth Gipps - lots of airplay on R3 and very good

1 Like

IMV RVW was a great man as well as composer. I have just finished reading a book about his military career in the First World War and its effect on his music - “The Edge of Beyond” by Stephen Connock. Well worth a read as it deals with a period of his life which is often rather skated over in other biographies. And I am always happy to promote The Ralph Vaughan Williams Society which has an excellent journal published several times a year.

I too have a problem with Elgar (I know - wash my mouth out) although the symphonies and the first in particular I do like. The tune in the first especially when it comes back at the end always gets me.

1 Like

Agreed - I have only just really started listening to her music thanks to R3

2 Likes

Not a bad Ken Russel film either…

1 Like

Ralph Vaughan Williams has been mentioned quite a bit above and I agree that The Lark Ascending is wonderful, as is Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis.

In respect of modern composers, I concur with the mentions of Max Richter, Johann Johannsson, and A Winged Victory For the Sullen. I would also add Olafur Arnalds. MattCray also mentions Arvo Part and the Fratres CD he lists is excellent. I suppose a lot of the above could be described as minimalist, but the “tunes” are there.

1 Like

I find their regular compilation series a handy tool for keeping abreast of new material/artists and well worth a listen to hear what’s available.

1 Like

Yes - I think that’s the key criteria for me - minimalist, modern classical, classical, ambient - I enjoy them all. But it’s about the tunes.

Good shout on Olafur Arnalds, a very diverse career - I love the “smart and minimal EDM” of his Kiasmos project, and his soundtracks are wonderful. Proper classical too - The Chopin Project an example.

I do enjoy the William Orbit albums, Pieces in a Modern Style. The first one being much stronger than the second, but the second having a few gems nonetheless.

1 Like

It’s a shame we no longer live in a world where projects such as the ones Ken did on the great composers (and well…most of his career) wouldn’t stand much chance to get a green light today.

I’m sure his films never made a bean!

Wow - breathtaking!