What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Now playing…

Ron Miles - I Am A Man

Ron Miles (Cornet), Thomas Morgan (Bass), Brian Blade (Drums), Bill Frisell (Guitar) and Jason Moran (Piano).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this afternoon with Ron’s 2017 release with this fantastic & talented quintet and they are sounding sublime!

3 Likes

I’m a Joe fan boy, have been since the early days of Takin The Hit and Sloe Gin. Joe is a talented musician and has had and fired some fantastic musicians. This is a good album but in my opinion Dust Bowl was the last winner.
If you like this genre, strongly suggest you watch Live at the Albert Hall. Best band he ever had behind him.

1 Like

Simply Red - Blue.

9 Likes

:thinking:

5 Likes

The late Colin Vearncombe. AKA Black.

Great songs, great Voice, part of me wonders what this would sound like without the 80s production and with more real instruments. Clearly a talent.

10 Likes

I was rummaging through a little used cupboard today and found copy of the book “From Metal to Mozart” by Craig Heller.
It’s premise is to help the listener transition from rock to classical listening with a list of classical pieces from Bach to Philip Glass and a cross reference to the equivalent group / piece in Non-classical Music.
Plan Amadeus is his full fat no holds barred approach no rock and roll for a year with 1 to 3 classical pieces to listen to on repeat til the next week.
Plan Beethoven isn’t s plan it’s more a if you dig the Stones your going to love Stravinsky approach.
For example
like The Band try Bach Brandenburg Concerto No 1, or Brahms Symphony No 4 or Mozart’s early string quartets
Bob Dylan try Beethoven Symphony No3 or Prokofiev Symphony No 5, Dvorak American Suite.

Long preamble to
Week 1 easy listening starters for 10

Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Nicholas Harnoncourt Concertus Musicus Wien
Chuck Berry

Vivaldi The Four Seasons
La Serenissima Adrian Chandler
Buddy Holly / Rick Nelson / Everly Brothers

10 Likes

5 Likes

Bandana - Madlib & Freddie Gibbs

Hip-hop-soul-deep-bass, and a blazing delivery from one of Madlib’s dream team combos.

2019’s best hip hop album, for me

2 Likes

Ed Wynne | Shimmer into Nature | 2019
Founder and lead guitarist of Ozric Tentacles, Ed goes solo here with his first very fine solo album.

4 Likes

LP - Island Records reissue : )

Paul Rodgers – vocals
Paul Kossoff – lead guitar, rhythm guitar
Andy Fraser – bass guitar, acoustic guitar, piano
Simon Kirke – drums, percussion

Recorded January–June 1970 at Trident Studios and Island Studios, London

<>

Paul Kossoff died on this day in 1976

Kossoff’s unhappiness following the break up of Free and his drug addictions contributed to a drastic decline in his health.
Kossoff died on a flight from Los Angeles to New York on 19 March 1976 from a pulmonary embolism after a blood clot in his leg moved to his lung, while touring America with band Back Street Crawler. His body was returned to England and cremated at Golders Green Crematorium in North West London. His epitaph in the Summerhouse there reads: “All right now”.

22 Likes

Graham Central Station - Now Do U Wanta Dance. Excellent soul / funk from the 70s.

5 Likes

Yes, I remember the news of Kossoff’s death being announced, a few of us at school were upset. F&W is Free’s best studio album imho, and a very influential one. I have several copies and play it often.

4 Likes

I remember an interview at the time with his dad. Very moving and sad.

5 Likes

Moving on to week 2

“A Bach biggie”…

JS Bach Toccata and Fugue In D minor
Peter Hurford
Steve Winwood

JS Bach Violin Concerto In E minor
Dire Straits

JS Bach Suite for Orchestra No 3
Elvis Presley

7 Likes

Sade - Love Deluxe.

23 Likes

4 Likes

Bob Dylan - Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid.

Dylan album N°12. This is the soundtrack to the film of the same name. Mostly instrumental, it spawned the hit Knockin’ On Heavens Door.

6 Likes

Nina Kraviz eponymous LP.

1 Like

Art Blakey - A Night in Tunisia
Richard Hawley - Standing at the sky’s edge

Both vinyl

5 Likes

Chris Rea - Wired To The Moon.

11 Likes