Any recommendations for cleaning DIN pins?

So if you are a dunce use Qtip’s that may come apart or use the little nylon brushes that work great and don’t fail. And since we’re on the topic any particular reason Nain chooses to use those, what are they tin speaker connectors? I mean the Statement use WBT’s … and there’s lots of great connections in between … Furutech , Cardas, Eichmann

1 Like

No commercial links in the Hifi Corner, please. Thanks.

I answered that for you just over a year ago - see here:

1 Like

Understood, Neil, thanks. Something for me to maybe try the next time I give the system a clean.

Mark

“Consistent” connection is the key here. The low conductive mass of the pins in DIN allows close impedance matching. The bulky bling high end RCA plugs (and the sockets) have far higher impedance than the cable between them.

DIN provide excellent contact pressure on a mechanism that isn’t significantly bulkier than the wire it connects.

That said, not all RCA plugs are equal. The Atlas ones have very thin connectors which doon’t even cover 360 degrees which, I believe, is aimed at addressing some of these issues.

1 Like

Could it also have to do with earlier Naim being very sensitive to what kind and length of speaker cable you used in that Naim by purpose designed this to be sold with their own cables and connectors. Some would of course don’t care. I just think back on the Naim journey and when it started and I was thinking everything would explode if I connected the wrong speaker cable to it.

I don’t think so. It was just a simple case of choosing the best performing connector for the job.

Did it. One of the q-tips fell off in the hole. No problem getting it out though. I didn´t listen before, but imagine a cleaner top end after cleaning. Q-tips were quite grey so they removed something.

I clean my amps speaker connections during the annual deep clean (every thing out, vac’d, dusted & the Naim cases cleaned with Astonish Glass & Tile)
Having once ‘lost’ a cotton bud, I now wrap cotton buds with a photo lens cleaner sheet, it seems to do a better cleaning job & removes the risk of loosing the bud end.
Its annoying that the Naim amp with its nickel plugs & sockets are always dirty, I’m more than convinced its erosion, whereas the speaker end with its ‘gold’ plugs & sockets are always clean.

If anyone clean the speaker outputs then please post a picture of it :smiley: I’ve ordered cottons sticks and will give it a go at some point.

1 Like

You can use whichever tool works for you. Cotton buds will do a much better job than interdental brushes, but there are risks involved.

I don’t think that warrants the insinuation that I’m a dunce.

From my CB250.

1 Like

Or the ears of C3PO

3 Likes

I have found that Johnson & Johnson cotton buds are superior to most others in terms of robustness of the cotton ends staying on. However they do vary a lot in size so it’s just a simple task of cherry picking the right sized ones.

You know when the sockets are clean with IPA because they ‘squeak’ - literally.

Did you hear night and day difference?

Waste of IPA imo.

3 Likes

:large_orange_diamond: After a cleaning process in a pair of active Linn Keltik.

received_1189563318561737~2

3 Likes

Not really :thinking:
It does sound a bit smoother but that could be expectation bias :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Err? You lightly dab the cotton bud in some IPA, you clean socket. Use the other dry end to do the same, because IPA actually leaves a white powdery deposit - whist doing so it should squeak. Where is the waste? Been doing this for years.

P.S. When i do mine i dip the cotton bud in some IPA and then roll it briefly onto some kitchen roll before cleaning, because you don’t want the cotton to be sodden.

1 Like