Any runners on here?

That’s true about running, but also lots of other things as well. Maybe you could even extend it to our HiFi hobby, in that we always want something better and Naim recognise that by giving us upgrade paths to satisfy our need to improve on what we have got.

1 Like

Well, I agree with both you and Terry. But, that said, I’m a pretty antisocial runner and generally indifferent to tines, though I’m happy enough when they go down. But I love running, particularly in the countryside and mountains, and anything upward of an hour and half out in the middle of nowhere is just bliss for me.

Have you heard of the Bob Graham Round?
(http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=intro)
I did two legs of it as a support runner; one the runners I was supporting was successful the other failed. I am in awe of anyone who completes it and I was goosed after the single legs I ran. If you like the middle of nowhere then that’s for you!

That’s not a bad analogy @WeekendWarrior the law of diminishing returns eventually kicks in and that’s the same fo running as it is for our other passion hifi

Exercise is my anti-depressant. During this lockdown, as in April, I am running 10km everyday (not legal to go out for more than an hour…).
Day 22 today and much colder, but still sunny.

In normal times I aim for one marathon per year, usually the drinky one (Marathon du Médoc) as it’s more fun and I am not quick (certainly not as quick as some of you!), but I also enjoy my local Nice-Cannes marathon.

I miss my long Sunday run, but I have a new dog in the house who requires a lot of walks, so I am keeping up.

Wish me luck for the next 8 days. And lie-in and bacon sandwich on December 1st!!

(I was recovering from an operation in October)

1 Like

So I have been unfit since I was 15 and stopped cycling
I did a few years of bodybuilding in my 20s and 30s but that did nothing for my fitness… just my strength
About 5 years ago ( when I was 57) I started walking more (about 10 miles a week) and now I have just retired…I’ve taken up jogging with the intention of getting fit for once
It’s been 5weeks now and I’m going out 4 or 5 times a week
I’m still at the couch to 5k stage at the moment and I’m trying to do 3miles each time I go out with a combination of running / walking

I really hope I can continue with this and by next summer I can run the whole 3 miles
It is REALLY hard to run for long on the road…but on a treadmill I can manage just about 1 mile continuous before having to walk

I presume you got a health check before you started jogging?

Parkruns, which are free 5k runs if you’ve not heard of them, are a great way to get fit in a friendly non competitive environment and maybe something to aim for. Parents with kids, dogs and pushchairs, fun runners and the occasional elite athlete. Parkruns are usually followed by tea and cake. If you are UK based then there is bound to be one near you, and if you are not UK based there may still be one close by as they seem to be almost everywhere.

Good luck.

Yes UK based (with a nice sea front to run along)

I’ve not heard of park runs …but guess everything is on hold at this time

TBH I just want to get some (any!) basic level of fitness before I venture out to play with the grown ups …so will continue on with what I have been doing until I see / feel an improvement (yes I’ve noticed a little…but 5 weeks is early days after 47 years of basically inactivity
I’m taking it slow …as I did not get to see a doctor or any health professional sadly
I’m mildly asthmatic to top it off…so I’m not trying to reach for the stars…just improve on my heath / heart / asthma / mental health

Thanks, yes, I have heard of the Bob Graham. It sounds tremendous. I quite like the whole fell running scene, but it’s not for me. As I wrote, I’m a really antisocial runner: just happy to get away into the hills and trot around for a few hours on my own. Anything competitive or even social is just a distraction. Several runner friends have suggested running together and I always find a polite way of letting it slip.

I have worked with a personal trainer at first in person and now via an iPad service. Basically working through different sets of exercises 4 times a weeks with walks 5 to 7 times a week. The exercise routine usually takes around 90 minutes or so. A lot of work on balance and core strength using bands, kettle bells, dumb bells, bands, planks, push-ups, jumping jacks, etc.

Bottom line over 18 months dropped 30 pounds of weight, reduced pulse rate, A1C results have dropped out of the pre-diabetic range, gained some muscle tone and definition and overall feel better and primary care provider and cardiologist are happy.

I ran for years but those days are gone, knees and hips are just not what they used to be.

Some folks do not want to look at a personal trainer because of cost. I found the results and benefits have been worth every penny to date. I do not know if the relationship will continue post-covid but I am building a great foundation to build upon.

Must admit I wonder if running is the exercise for me
My knees are not great after years of motorcycles and weight lifting

Perhaps some sort of cross training might be better for my long term mobility?

1 Like

I did a lot of jogging when i was younger and regret it now as some days the wear and tear is showing on hip and knees…take care.

2 Likes

Thanks
As mentioned…I’m starting to wonder if it’s good long term
I’m 6’1" but nudging 16 stone (alright…more than nudging)

Well i was 5 8” and nudging 100 kg, got diabetes, got down to 74 kg and it is much better. Exercise is good, but losing weight needs for me a low carb intake. For me no beer, some wine, no bread, switched from potatoes to home made carrot fries baked in the oven…a good cooked breakfast…eggs etc. Took about six months, you would have to be an athlete to do it otherwise. Depends on your goal…mine was the diabetes control.

1 Like

I’ve a cross trainer in the garage which effectively prevents me from having to do multiple amounts of physio per day when my spine starts playing up. When I used to visit a gym it was the one item I hated/avoided but it’s been a blessing for nearly a decade now. Worth every penny.

However, if you have dodgy knees I would absolutely not go down that route at all.

1 Like

I’m about the same height as you, and also around 74kg or perhaps a little less and have been for as long as I can remember. However, for me this allows me to drink beer, eat chocolate etc. without having to worry about weight (within sensible limits most of the time of course)! I am wary about diabetes as my Mum has been insulin dependent for many years now, but so far so good.

I don’t suffer with creaky joints despite having played football, squash and for the past 15 years running. I count myself lucky as I enjoy exercise and getting outdoors, and find it good for the mind, body and soul.

2 Likes

Avoiding a heel landing is a good way to reduce knee stress running.

Made it!

• 10-k-a-day November lockdown self-imposed running challenge
• 300km or 7.14 marathon’s worth
• Lost 2kg.
• Gained a dog (sale or return), so also walked another 116km as well.
• Took part in the online no-limit Marathon des Alpes Maritimes, to help raise money for the villages devastated by the floods of six weeks ago.
• Enough virtue to justify a big bacon sandwich I think!

10 Likes

Great achievement.
You must be pleased and also looking forward to that bacon butty and some wine.
Nice running locations too!
Well done.

1 Like

Well done Rod! How did the body cope with running everyday? Did you find your energy levels tailed off later in the month, or was it fairly steady?

Quite keen to do something like this in January to get the year off to a healthy start. I run three times a week at present, 5km, 10km and a 20km long run at weekends. I’m 6’4” and generally around 90-95kg so pretty big, but find the long run is amazing in allowing me to be relaxed about eating habits and helping keep good mental health. It’s hard rolling out of bed at 7.30 on a Saturday morning, but mostly it’s lovely getting out in the roads/trails when it’s just wildlife and farmers about.

In terms of long term issues I find that as long as I change trainers every 300-350km I don’t get any issues. As a heel striking, over pronator the soles wear quickly! Changing trainers so often is expensive but compared to the benefits/Hifi it’s good value :slight_smile:

Missing not having any organised runs to train for. It’s amazing what a good motivation it is having a run or two in the diary - especially the longer half/full marathons, although I doubt I’ll do another marathon post Covid - the training just takes too much time :wink:

1 Like