Any runners on here?

Well, running every day is not for everyone, but honestly I found it fairly easy (almost easier than every other day). There were a couple of days where I wasn’t really super-motivated (not the cold ones, but the grey ones and those following a very long dog walk the afternoon before).
Good shoes (and I reckon that you’re right I only get 350-400 km from even the best) are a must of course. I managed a very quick (for me) run on Sunday, maybe a bit ‘de-mob’ happy on the penultimate day.

Strangely, today, I didn’t want the lie-in I had earned, and missed going for a run (I almost did!). Instead the dog got a double-length walk, so he was happy.

It’s cost me quite a lot in clothes-washing liquid as I don’t have enough long sleeve tops or compression shorts really to go every day without washing every other day.

I did it in April, and again in November. Now that France’s 1km/1hour restriction (I pretty much ignored the former I confess - I think it was aimed at city-dwellers) has been lifted, I am looking forward to a couple of long runs, maybe do 25km on Sunday. I like to mix it up.

Nice to have a challenge and a purpose in these weird times for sure, and I do live next to some wonderful countryside to explore.

In normal times I aim for one or two marathons* per year, but I am not quick.

*one is the Marathon du Médoc, which is the slow paced drinky one, which I do with friends and for the crack (and the wine).

1 Like

Happy Christmas all Runners on here. A Strava Xmas tree I ran last year…0 out of 10 for artistry, but a point or two for effort I think!

Running Xmas tree

7 Likes

This is an illustration of my shitty 2020. Not hard to see when we were in lockdown!

No wonder I went through six pairs of running shoes.

Roll on summer 2021.

2 Likes

Hi I run 2/3 times a week (1-3 miles a time). I mix this up with cycling, bit of weights and yoga.
In my schooldays I was running sub 5 minute 1500 metres and represented my school at 800 as well, along with cross country.
I am significantly slower now. I played rugby for quite a period of time - since retiring and taking up running and cycling my weight has come down from 90kg to 75kg - that 15 kg definitely was not all muscle :slight_smile:
I listen to :musical_note: while running .Does anyone else and,if so, what do you listen to?

1 Like

My broken ankle has ruined my very promising running career. :grin:

2 Likes

I cannot run too often due to bad knees though I managed to run 2 km today in the deep snow in -12 degrees wearing high boots:

I walked the other five.

1 Like

I couldn’t listen to music; my mind wanders enough without that and I’d have fallen down a ditch or been run over years ago.

I’m on a temporary running break as I’ve got a bit of plantar fasciitis so replacing running with cycling until it’s’ resolved.

Same here. When I ran I had to really concentrate because of my vision so I needed other audio cues for my own safety and that of others. However, I found that not having music meant that I could really focus on picking up the pace and physically forcing my legs to move faster. Can still do the same now. Can walk at up to 4.7mph using a cane which isn’t something you’ll see often.

Just back in from a jog around the common. Phew, cold air!

Apparently Jeremy Hunt (ex UK health sec for those outside UK) fell over running this morning in the snow/ice and broke his arm so be careful out there

I need to keep road awareness on most of my runs, so music is out (it’s invariably the ‘wrong’ pace anyway). So I listen to talking books and podcasts.

The ‘No Such Thing as a Fish’ podcasts (from the QI researchers) are interesting, lighthearted and sometimes very funny.

I’ve recently taken up running, I needed a new hobby that got me outdoors as my current hobbies means me sitting on the sofa for long periods :smiley:

1 Like

I listen to the occasional podcast and music. I use the music tracks sometimes to do vague interval runs.
I am running in a pretty safe environment (very quiet roads and on footpaths or country.
I have read that listening to music can give you a boost of up to about 10%. Not much use if it means you have an accident I concede.
I have also been cycling often with headphones in for about 30 years - only one accident in that time and I was not wearing headphone at the time.

Regarding your comment about the only accident you had was when you weren’t wearing headphones…I remember some wag telling me that most road traffic accidents don’t involve drink driving!

Yes a bit like the smoking argument I guess. I do use my headphones to receive route instructions from my cycle ‘satnav’. I do think people overestimate the loss of information when cycling as without headphones today for example I could hear next to nothing due to the wind.

Ex neighbour lost their life because they were wearing headphones and didn’t hear the person with the machete having a mental health episode.

There are literally zero circumstances in which I would wear headphones outdoors. I found it inhibited running and the loss of environmental info is massively under-estimated.

Sunny but cold morning today here, and excellent for a long-ish run. I surprised myself with a personal best (although not exactly earth-shattering I admit.)

1 Like

@Rod_Smith - a PB means you are in your best shape ever, and two 50 minute 10ks back to back (and a little bit extra) is not too shabby, so well done.

I went a bike ride today replacing my running whilst my plantar fasciitis recovers. I did 16 miles at about 13 miles per hour and when I got back I realised that is something like marathon pace for a top runner. It’s mind boggling really how fast they are moving.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes I am regularly running sub-50 minute 10kms now (although everywhere round me is hilly - this is my flattest run of all, and still follows the river). I remember not long after I first started running I managed a 1hr47m competitive half-marathon, and this is the first one since where I have beaten that I think.

At least lockdown has been good for something.

This afternoon’s dog walk was a bit more of a struggle though! (Not his fault I chose to go for a long run this morning!)

1 Like

Seems you’re in shape , sir.
However don’t forget to rest , because resting it’s also part of training.
( when I read 300km in 30 runs in one month)
I think your playing with luck specifically regarding lesion.

Just an opinion, hope you don’t mind.
:muscle: