Any views on Graham Audio standmount speakers?

I’ve searched the forum but can’t find any previous posts regarding Graham Audio speakers, particularly the standmounts. Current set up is 72/hi-cap/140, CD3 & Spendor S3/5R2’s in a smallish room (5m x 3.5m) & I’m thinking of upgrading the Spendors. I have the chance of purchasing a decent pair of used Graham Chartwell LS6’s which I think would fit in well but auditioning will be difficult so if anyone has experience or views on these particular standmounts I would love to hear them. I think the the LS3/5’s would be too similar to my Spendors to be a significant upgrade (plus the new cost would be a bit of a stretch) although I do like that “BBC monitor” sound. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

The weakest link in your system is the CD3, and that’s probably where I’d be looking first.

Thanks HH. Very interesting that you think the CD3 is the weak link. I’ve owned it from new for over 25 years & it has been serviced & repaired once. Having kept an eye on this forum over the years I’ve always got the impression that the CD3 was quite highly regarded (at least for us on a budget) which is why I never really considered replacing it although I did go through a phase a few years ago of considering a CD5xs…presumably this would be one you would recommend? Any others? Thanks again for the reply.

1 Like

The CD3 is a great fun player and I’m a big fan, however, it is “characterful” and may suit a system well or not. It is quite an old fashioned sounding player and beaten in most ways by more modern Naim CD players, except in its ability to engage and delight. However, its character tends to work least well where anything less than neutrality is is best avoided.

To that end, if you like the BBC type sound then you might be much better served by a less characterful player. The Naim CDX2 is where I’d be looking.

2 Likes

For several years, I have owned Graham Audio LS5/9 BBC Monitors and Graham Audio Chartwell LS3/5 BBC Monitors. They are beautiful speakers, and they are a joy to listen to. If you like the “BBC monitor” sound I do not think you will be disappointed. Graham Audio speakers match Naim electronics very well.

3 Likes

I have Graham Audio LS5/9f’s, but before that had the stand-mounted LS5/9’s. I picked them up ex-demo and were my entry into ‘BBC monitors’. I was very impressed by them. Voices would leap out of the speakers.

I would love to hear the LS8/1’s (Derek Hughes Signature Edition) - only 100 pairs being made apparently.

4 Likes

An interesting short film of Derek Hughes on the philosophy of his speaker designs

2 Likes

Hi Isca_Dumnonioram.

My latin is a bit rusty (!) but good to see another Devonian on the site (I live a few miles up the road from the Graham premises). The LS5’s look brilliant but unfortunately out of my price range (especially new) but thanks for your input. I wonder what sort of price the LS8/1 wil be?

1 Like

Thanks DD! I saw a pair of pre-loved LS5s on sale today. I believe forum rules prevent giving further details. All I would say is check your local Naim dealers.

I’d imagine the LS8/1s are c.£5k? Someone told me they might be making a floor standing version of this too.

Thanks ID. Only Naim dealer in Devon I can find is dear old Gulliford & they don’t have any pre loved Graham’s for sale. Can you give me any further clues without breaking forum rules?

1 Like

Let’s just say I was in that Naim dealership today :grinning:

I have a lot of time for Graham Audio. I was able to pop down to their ‘factory’ last summer to check on cabinet veneers. Love their set up - real craftsmen. In the end I went for an Ebony veneer.

5 Likes

I do love that wall paper :hugs: Enjoy Peter

2 Likes

Just dropped an email to our local Naim dealer. Thanks!
P.S also love the wallpaper…perfect backdrop to a very, very nice looking set up.

2 Likes

I listened to Graham audio bbc ls5/8 (I think it might have been the 9) with a Naim nova (dealer demo) and was absolutely captivated by the sound. Lots of bass, warmth and detail.

A month or so before my son and I had at the same dealer been looking at standmounts from £1k to £2k the demo was also with a nova but none of them came close to the uplift in sq that the Graham ls5/8(9) gave which to my ears was substantial and very much worthy of the price difference. My home setup is Naim SN3 into focal micro utopia standmounts which I love but if I had to replace them I would be extremely tempted by the Grahams :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Must be something in the water here in Devon :smiley:

Hi @devondick
I use the LS5/9 with their passive Sub 3s.

I use these with a SN3 and pre loved NDS.
IMHO to my ears in my room I find them very “musical” and deliver P.R.a.T.
My room is approx 7M by 4M, and they face across the short axis.
I have never had the urge to change them/upgrade.
I find the Sub 3s help them “breath”.
Regards.
Roger.

4 Likes

Hi Roger.

Good to hear your positive views on the LS5/9, particularly with regard to that all important P.R.a.T…it’s why we all love that Naim signature sound. Unfortunately the LS5’s are out of my price range but interesting that you feel they are enhanced by the Sub 3s, probably because of your room size & they do look good together on that stand. In my rather small cottage I think it would be a bit too much…I’d end up scaring the chickens!

Thanks for the reply.

If you like your spendors you might want to try the classic 3.1. I changed to them recently and they’re lovely particularly if you’re a fan of the ‘bbc’ sound, quite similar to the LS6 I’d imagine.

3 Likes