Anybody else NOT upgrading? Share your stories of contentment

Really???

1 Like

Really what?

Really the nait1 beat the 272/250dr?

1 Like

Yep.

3 Likes

Could this be, in part at least, due to the calibre of the Kudos Titans? I could see (hear) how this, coupled with your preference for room filling sound would lead to that assertion.

I donā€™t have a preference for a room filling sound. The 272/250DR has an even more room filling sound, but is less communicative and less compelling a listen.

2 Likes

Apologies Gary, I misread initially but now understand. atb

1 Like

No problem at all, no need for an apology!

1 Like

so i guess the titan 606s are easy to drive, good to know.
I have a naim nait 2 CB (serviced in June 2020) and a pair of Harbeth P3ESR. I love the nait2 but the combo 62 / HC / 250 (serviced in December 2020) has more ā€œpresenceā€ and control.
So it makes me think that I should aim to find a pair of speakers that are easier to drive than the P3ESRs and sell the 62 / HC / 250, I love simplicity.

any suggestions? possibly floorstanding

I just changed 272/555DR for separates:
ND5XS2, nDAC/555DR, 252.

I am now very very happy with my system and not planning to upgrade for years.

One interesting aspect of this upgrade is that the cost of the new system, bought SH, is approx double - but to me the enjoyability is also double.

I was never really satisfied with my previous system, but I am with the new system.

That all suggests that the upgrade was still in ā€˜arithmeticā€™ territory, and was not yet into the diminishing returns part of the cost/uplift curve.

Now playing this album and is so much clearer and more real and more enjoyable than ever before.

1 Like

I understand that the Harbeth P3 are not an easy load, i did try a pair at home once. The strange thing is iā€™ve yet to find a speaker that was difficult for my Nait to drive, even Shahinian Obelisk, which are known to be Naim killers did better with the Nait than my 250. Another speaker that is often said to require at least a 300 to work well, the Naim SL2, worked a treat on the end of my then Nait 2.

Well yes i would seriously expect that system to outperform the 272/250DR, it costs a lot lot more money. I wonā€™t be going there iā€™m afraid, iā€™ve owned the 252/552 and 300 before so have a good understanding what you get. My CDS3 into Nait1 offers plenty of what i like.

1 Like

I tried the P3 a while back, they were not easy to drive. As good as the Nait 2 is I suspect it will struggle a little especially if you like your music loud.

I was briefly thinking of upgrading from ND5XS to a pre loved NDX but realised It would be an upgrade for the sake of it and living where I live there would be no easy way to demo it at home soā€¦Iā€™ve got a live bid on an old 85 Airhead Beemer instead.
The Spendor A4ā€™s are beautiful as is the Well Tempered Amadeus GT, Hana ML, Stageline, SN2, and ND5XS. Most synergistic and enjoyable system Iā€™ve ever had so apart from re inserting an old classic 5 gang FM tuner and dedicated rooftop aerial the only upgrades Iā€™m thinking of are more records. Its funny, I look at Hi Fi gear online and it still takes me about 20 minutes to realise Iā€™m only doing it out of habit.
Also, Naim prices down here at the moment seem to have taken quite a jump.

3 Likes

Quite happy with what I have (my system is in my profile) and have no plans other than possibly replacing the speakers but even then that probably wonā€™t happen. Been living with my system for god knows how long and quite happy with it unless I get the urge that is.

I canā€™t see it in thereā€¦

In the last 24 hours I have sold my 32.5/110/non-Naim power supply and some non-Naim boards and returned to a place that I have been twice before.

No changes now. Donā€™t care what Bowie said!

15 Likes

That was a lovely example of a freshly serviced 32.5 too. Should give someone a lot of pleasure.

Just keeping an eye on that CB Nait 2ā€¦

PS - lovely Meridian kit there too.

Yes, all the recipients of the CB half boxes will be very happy. Condition is immaculate.

That CB Nait 2 will go for close to Ā£900.

I have a Nait 1 arriving this week for the officeā€¦

Meridian is just styleā€¦

1 Like