Anybody else NOT upgrading? Share your stories of contentment

World Party ‘Goodbye Jumbo’?

Lovely neat and beautiful system, made for listening to music, not listening to hi-fi!

2 Likes

Correct answer!!! I’d like to say there’s a signed copy in the post but you get 1 like instead.

2 Likes

Wow, that was impressive Blackstar! Great LP and in the que for a remaster/reissue any time now. My original is not in the best of shape and I am looking forward to nice clean copy :+1:

1 Like

yep. had a superuniti. scanned these forums for permission for more watt power. got frustrated - as many do. Ordered a NAD M33 (which sounds awesome), but Covid delayed. The same dealer started carrying Naim, so I frustratingly ordered a SN3 and a S5NX2, expecting it to be a mid way system - it was the same VA and the same watts, how could 2 boxes really be that much better than 1?

well, I’ve heard better systems - but they cost 3-5x more. I’m done and happy

• I’ll buy a NDX3 when it comes out in 5 years, or a NDX4 in 10 - I see sources esp. ones that handle streaming services as temporary.
1 Like

In 5 years streaming will be old hat!

And the next great thing is…? Pray tell!

2 Likes

If I knew that I wouldn’t have time to debate it on here - I’d be working on my next £m!

Mini disc to make a comeback…?

2 Likes

Are you in, Lindsay?

Do you know Nigel minidisc was something that passed me by. Actually perhaps the answer is DCC or DAT?

1 Like

Why not combine them and go for an all new DCC-DAT format?

Does this have legs and are you in?

I am so bored of lockdown, got to do something.

2 Likes

I know how you feel although I spent most of the day on Zoom!

2 Likes

I had a zoom meeting yesterday that i was looking forward to at 4 pm…knowing this i dialled in at 4:30 pm just as it was ending…losing it now and again.

1 Like

I am so bored, I have spent the last couple of days brushing up on room acoustics and treatments. I have subscribed to Acoustics Insider and watched all the videos on YouTube.

Jesco, founder of Acoustics Insider, is my new hero, that is how sad I have become.

Just working out how to squeeze in a load of acoustic panels and bass traps and avoiding divorce proceedings.

Lockdown and rabbit holes seem to go hand in hand…

3 Likes

You should spend five hours a day at the vaccination centre. I’m exhausted but certainly not bored.

1 Like

Unfortunately my pub is closed and my wife is shielding, which means I have to shield also.

2 Likes

I know you are having an exceptionally tough time, and the forum for many of us is a big release. Hope you both get vaccinated soon, if possible❤️

I would be interested in your room acoustics journey…almost certainly the reason why the SL cables did not sing for me. It did cross my mind to investigate…but spend a lot of money to make the “perfect” Naim system? Hence i may be slumming it with other cables, but happy. You take care🤞🏽

Thanks Gazza. I realise however there are many others in a far worse predicament than us. My wife should have her jab by mid Feb but I won’t get mine until they reach the over 60’s. Anyway, as soon as my wife gets her jab we can breathe a sigh of relief.

I started thinking about room acoustics now because I am considering moving the hifi to our main living room (a far larger room than my current listening room), assuming I get the green light from wifey. It is however unlikely that the new listening room will get any treatment as it is Grade II with beams and posts in the walls, which does not lend itself to the addition of panels and traps.

I have read up on how to set up my speakers though, and combined with some new knowledge of room acoustics, I know how I would set things up and tune things in, should permission be forthcoimg.

I will start a new thread if I feel I have anything useful to pass on.

I have an almost perfect square room 19 feet by 19 feet give a few inches here and there. But we do have beams, alcoves etc which seems to make it work for me…but perhaps not for others. Have to get you over here this year, some time🤞🏽

Yes I’m afraid my proposed listening room is almost a perfect square, 5.0m x 4.8m, but it has a tall, arched ceiling, with plenty of irregularities that come with a 16th century building, which should help with the acoustics…

We used to have live bands in our bar which is heavily beamed with posts and a large inglenook fire. Due to bad weather one year we had to house a 4-piece rock band, including full drum kit (part of our annual music and beer festival - with bands outside) in the rather small bar with a very low ceiling. I thought it was going to be a car crash but it sounded superb. I put it down to the diffusion effect of the irregular room shape and heavily-beamed ceiling.

So I am optimistic about the new listening room.

1 Like