Anyone else ‘Daisy Chaining’ from 2960 to EE8?

Yeah, network switches have definitely jumped the shark here.

With that set-up I would have thought the sound may become a little too warm, especially in winter. On the other hand the PNs location may provide a satisfying degree of offsetting coolness during the winter months.
Im really not sure about all that cat6 on the outside of the house. Do you think your dealer was maybe blowing smoke?

1 Like

Does the wood you burn in the fireplace makes a difference? Oak,ash or birch? What sounds best? :wink:

1 Like

The more exotic and expensive, the best. My dealer sells makasar exotic wood too.

2 Likes

One week in and I’m totally convinced daisy-chaining has had a very positive effect to my replay. That initial sense that the sound was just that bit more organic and natural - ‘real’ if you like - is definitely borne out. Transparency, inky-blackness, timbres, separation etc all improved by the addition of the 2960 between the Virgin Superhub & EE8/F1.

G

5 Likes

Surprising result, but that definitely eggs me on to give it a try in my system.

1 Like

My Cisco was still in the box from moving so I added it back in the chain between router and EE8. Definitely seems to be a more engaging and fun listen. The NDX2 is my secondary source but have been listening to it more with the Cisco in the loop.

4 Likes

I own an EE switch, connected to a half decent router switch. I thought it made a different at the time but im not sure. i took the EE off my system and it sounded the same.

Im sure adding more switches just down to having more SM power supplies in our system if anything would be worse.

I did see a video on youtube from Linus tech tips where they stripped down an £800 hifi switch and it was the same as the £30 version its based on in every way except some glue type stuff on a few components, its an interesting video. he then goes on to explain how these switches work, theres no audio going through them, its packets of data.

interesting none the less

I think logic was 2960 may do something the EE8 can’t but OP can confirm.
I’ve not tried, as I don’t have a 2960, but would guess any change would be fairly marginal .
Not sure what your set up is but if you don 't need EE8 then great - unfortunately my Virgin Hub 4 and Naim streamer combo can be improved upon.
The Youtube video is like clickbait although product, admittedly, seems to suffer from over marketing.

I thought everyone knew that two or more switches is better than one. One of the first things I discovered when I was experimenting with Ciscos.

i thought the stripdown of the product itself was interesting, also these guys do know about networking.

i have quite a good system. 252, supercap dr, nds 555 dr, 250dr, sopra 1

im all for things making a difference but i dont think switches can. everyone is happy to buy shiny things so its all good

Result :+1:

Maybe this is the answer

cisco-2960-switch-500x500

Router connected top left, hundreds of vLANs / configs with the streamer connected bottom right of the pile.

3 Likes

Sorry, no clue other than it sounding better. The app is also working faster curiously.

G

not always, but only in my experience. Cascade Cisco gave better results than one, but cascading the Cisco with the ER gave a less refined and alive sound than the ER alone with its additional ps. For my ears.

1 Like

Okay thought that it might have been to reduce Ethernet noise which should improve SQ, so what do I know!
Good to know app is working quicker too - but you’re not saying that’s linked to daisy chain switches right :joy:.

Well, it might just be coincidental, but the app (ios) is finding the library and cueing up selections etc more quickly.

G

1 Like

Nah, those old blue ciscos are too noisy. :smiley:

Yeah, the observations with some of the boutique switches seem inconsistent. Go with what works for you.

1 Like

cisco-2960-switch-500x500

Where did you get that photo of my store cupboard?

3 Likes