Anyone using an inductor to support preferred cable with amp?

I’m looking at getting a NAP-250DR and read about the fussiness with cables. can result in over heating or damage if using the wrong cable.

I dont want to get into running several meters of NAC A5. My preference is to get 8’ pair of good cables that either fit the spec or add an inductor to alter the spec.

It seems the target ideal spec would be (correct me if I’m wrong):

• Inductance = 5 uH - 10 uH
  • Capacitance = 80 pF - 160 pF
  • DC Resistance = 45 mΩ - 90 mΩ

Has anyone here used an inductor added to the speaker cable in order to resolve the issue?

Don’t bother. You certainly don’t need to be married to A5 and the inductor will just change the character of whatever cable you choose. There are many cables out there that are compatible so you can still choose from a very large range. The main provision is absolutely no “litz” constructed cables as the capacitance is too high. The range of tolerance away from A5 is actually pretty good. Obviously, if you are looking at less that 3m, you need one that provides more inductance than A5 to make up for it.

Many on the forum (myself included) don’t use Naim cables. And if you have a concern, and tell Naim support the cable you are looking at and it’s specs, they will tell you whether it looks to be a problem or not for a given length.

Agree with Feeling Zen, don’t bother.

I would agree with that - if an 8’ cable could be found with the characteristics needed, that would be ideal (fewer things in the path). Anyone have any examples of such a cable?

Not familiar with “litz” cable. It seems to involve multi-conductors?

The cable I was originally interested in is by Audio Sensibility, they publish everything about how their cable is made except for electrical properties. Not sure if they are a candidate.

Titan, please don’t post unauthorised commercial links in the Hifi Corner (I have removed them for you). Thanks.

For best performance, Naim have gone out their way to avoid using added inductance with inductors on the output of their power amps, instead using the elegant solution of relying on the speaker cable to provide the necessary inductance for full stability. I’m not sure why you would then want to add inductance with inductors instead.

1 Like

Also worth noting, a cable has numerous properties that make it what it is. Inductance is one of them. If you add an inductor, you have changed one variable out of cobtext from alk the others which would normally change together with cable length.

Therefore, it’s no longer the same cable at all. It makes the choice of cable pointless because the modification effectively just created a new type of cable than the one you bought. It results in new unknown Brand Random Cable X.

Is dealing with a meter of slack so hard?

I see the reasoning. Fewer things in the path - however this, as well as the alternatives, all involve trade-offs.
Generally, its said that shorter speaker cable is better. The longer the cable, the more likely it is to attenuate over distance and show its characteristics in the audio band. All cable types will be less transparent at longer lengths.
So using 5-10m of cable (when 2m will do) in order to remove an inductor is a trade-off (length attenuation for inductor influence).
Using a shorter, superior cable + inductor is also a trade off.

Since each route involves compromise, I dont think one can say “the NAC A5 cable is guaranteed best.”

Using a shorter, superior cable with inherent characteristics that make the amp happy without inductor is best case.

I would say the opposite - the recommended minimum for NACA5 is 3.5m, but the consensus seems to be that optimum is 5 to 10m.

Yes, that’s for this specific scenario with the classic Naim amps where 5-10m of NACA5 cable is required to reach optimum inductance, capacitance, etc … due to the electrical requirements. not true for other amps that have inductance accounted for at the output stage.

Yes, that’s why I mentioned it, as you said you were considering buying a 250.

I will admit to being confused.

You say you need 8’ (I assume that is feet) pair of speaker cables, NACA5 is the recommended cable for Naim (especially a 250), min recommended length of NACA5 is 3.5m (OK that is 11ft), but you prefer a shorter length of another cable and are willing to insert an electrical component that may or may not make that cable electrically compatible?

There are other cables that work well with Naim (e.g. Chord or TQ) but it is still recommended to have a min. 3.5m pair.

What has the OP got against NACA5 (it can be bought easily, even online), and what is the problem of an extra 3ft of speaker cable?

Thanks. Just doing my homework to see if there are better sounding/more practical alternatives, otherwise I’ll soon find myself explaining to others why this ungodly thing is draped across the floor
fold

So Naim has interconnects called a SNAIC, and a speaker cable shaped like a snake. Coincidence?
:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Take%20Me%20To%20Your%20Leader001small

5 Likes

Naim Super Lumina comes in 3m lengths and works well with the 250. It’s nice an floppy so easy to use. And it’s only 2’ longer, which surely isn’t an issue.

Hi, I hope the NAP and the cables work out for you. Out of interest, what’s the rest of your set?

I’ll check out the Super Lumina. Of couse, 2’ extra is not an issue. I was looking at the recommended 5m-10m of NACA5 and thinking that’s in the range of 8-25 feet more than what I needed… and costs around $900 USD when I checked online (5m pair)! :face_vomiting:

Anthem AVM-60 surround processor to NAD T955 amp.
Paradigm Persona 3F speakers. B&W surrounds.
The Naim 250DR and 272 would drive the Personas, and link to the AVM-60 via AV Bypass.

I’ve been recommended the Naim to drive the Personas because the Personas are forward/bright, and the Naim is said to be slightly recessed on the treble – helping to smooth the presentation.
Would you agree with that over some other neutral amps?

Errr - not sure who’s making that recommendation but not sure I’d describe Naim as ‘recessed on the treble’. If there are issues elsewhere in your system Naim amps are likely to expose these IMO. Not that I’m warning you off Naim - far from it - but rather suggesting you might be disappointed if your expectation is unfounded.

That is simply not correct. Naim amps are flat line in the audio band.
My advice is to find a new dealer or whoever it is that suggested that, then forget this nonsense quest for a cable with an inductor & follow the good advise on the cable alternatives in the previous posts.