Anyone using an OLED TV?

I got tired of the quirks of my 2016 Panasonic LCD TV. So, I pulled the trigger on an LG C3 OLED and ordered one. I will be getting it tomorrow.
I was wondering if there were other OLED TV users here. Is OLED really that good at picture quality?
I wasn’t enamored with my Panasonic LCD TV from 2016. I had a Plasma before that, and I preferred its image. I am hoping OLED will be a step up.

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant picture, especially when you stream Higher than HD such as the Disney Channel. The whites are just amazing, and really stand out

3 Likes

Only downside is that it took me nearly an hour setup, especially if you are like me and want to go into all the settings to stop sharing personal data

1 Like

Very satisfied with two here - one slightly younger OLED55G and slightly older same size model.
Two factors, set up is important as mentioned by GM.
Second is the source - here Sky box, Apple tv box and Oppo Blu-Ray 4k player.
I use an AV processor, so no idea of in built speakers - an external sound bar may be worthwhile.

2 Likes

I know. It will take me a while to properly set it up. At least an hour. Then, I will open a beer and enjoy!

LG OLED tv owner of just under 3 years standing, no idea what model - just know that it is very thin, it is a great TV the picture quality is top drawer.

Enjoy.

2 Likes

I don’t have one, and don’t know for certain if true, but I’ve read that OLEDs can suffer from screen burn unlike other LED TVs - best take precautions unless sure not the case.

We have one and think it’s very good. For the first time, the “Smart TV” aspect of it is actually very good. It connected instantly to our WiFi and allowed us to access our streaming with no actual cable box or wires at (except power). We’ve also added a few “apps” for sports, and that went seamlessly. Although everything comes vis WiFi, it’s working really well.

Picture quality is excellent, although I’m not really blown away by it compared to our other TV which is a good LCD screen. They’re both more-than-good-enough.

I een from an LCD to an OLED, mainly for the gloriously deep blacks and HDMI 2.1 support it offerers. It’s a great piece of kit, but depending on where your connecting devices are, the inputs might be a pain. I had to buy a longer cable, as 3 meters didn’t cover it, nor did the optical out. They’re in the left of the TV, my kit is on the right. The power cable is on the left, however! It depends on the size of the TV, if course, but you might need to be prepared to do some cable management.

Setup should be OK, I didn’t have too much of an issue, most if it is logical. And yes, make sure you opt out if data sharing if you dislike that!

Otherwise, enjoy your shiny new screen :smiley:

2 Likes

For the burn-in: yes, the organic materials „age“ with usage, the more, the brighter they have to shine.
As much as I’ve read, current TVs have this pretty much under control (including reserves at shipping, pixel-shifts, frequent recalibration, …) though you should not separate the TV from power immediately after use.
(Since they do „active maintenance“ on the display. A couple of hours after use, it should be save to cut power, e.g. when going on vacation or so.)

LGC2 here for a while. Great set. No issues.

1 Like

We have two OLED Panasonic TVs and really like them. We use the optical output into a Nova in the lounge and the ND555 in the media/music room. Because they have the deep black background, the pictures are really natural and not saturated.

1 Like

coming from plasma; OLED is best option.

Sony and Panasonic seemed to have better picture processing for motion, and hence 30 frames per second gaming still looks brilliant (even without engaging picture processing modes that most budget OLEDs will require to make 30 frames per second content look ‘sound’)…

Most don’t buy Sony/Panasonic levels of motion processing quality (the best on market, generally speaking), and will buy Samsung and LG to save a quid (/or bought into the marketing and ‘features’).

I retune colour on two Panasonic OLEDs both arpund five years old.

a point or two of green and red chanel adjustment every six to twelve months is all it takes to keep the colour accuracy spot on and top tier…

Good OLED is the best TV type (when paired with great picture processing); skin tones and ‘blacks’ being fantastic on good OLEDs, but also top tier response times and generally the best 4K motion resolution of TVs available… (of vtourse budget OLEDs might drop the ball on picture processing motion etc to save coin…)

Plasmas had full 1080 motion resolution (only first and second gen 4k sets beat this), nowadays a lot of 4K TVs have 300 lines (or less) of motion resolution.

the better LCDs will pull 600-800 lines, and the best OLEDs yielding 800-1200 lines of Motion resolution.

after gaming on a plasma with full motion resolution (and seeing rock concerts with strobe lighting etc), hard watching and gaming on ‘non-OLEDs’.

for me it is always
colour
contrast
motion resolution
as most important factors

I haven’t bought into variable refresh rate or high refresh rate models as the costs had come down and absolution motion resolution is noticably lowered on latest sets (unless apending big coin)…

if a user has the option to engage ALL the picture processing in their TV this might not matter so much…
but gamers and rock concert and sports lovers will want a better quality unit than the chepest OLEDs give…
that being said, when watching sports an extra one or two frames of picture processing delay isnt going to be noticed…
where as a keyboard and mouse gamer wouldnt want the extra delay just to realise 600 lines of resolution (they’d want a monitor or ‘better TV’ to begin with)

TL: DR
gamers might want better quality TVs if only for the doubled resolution WITHOUT having to engage picture processing modes on the TV

and

OLEDs are the market replacement from great plasma TVs (generally considered the best for picture quality).

LCDs are great for childrens animations and ‘bright room viewing’; OLEDs for movie lovers and photo editors… (and the best gaming if budget allows)

2 Likes

I have been using an LG OLED TV /4K for years now, previously I had used a Plasma. No burn in at all, it feels largely irrelevant now (better phosphors and auto cleaning algorithms) now compared to the plasma and CRT days.
The OLED is great, and frankly I take it for granted now… I do use for displaying photography too, and I appreciate its resolution and colour gamut. I did have it colour calibrated, as I did my previous plasma TV.
The OLED has great contrast and brightness and is far superior to LCD. We do have an LG LCD TV in the snug… it’s fine, but the colour accuracy is not as good and contrast is way down. Poor with very brighlight, ie sun shining into room etc… but it works sufficiently well, and you only really notice in contrast to the OLED performance.

3 Likes

Happy lg g1 user, no burn in issues after 3 years of use… it’s clever enough to reduce brightness level on static logos and station idents and, as mentioned, runs regular oled maintenance routines over night. Had mine isf calibrated shortly after arrival which improved black/dark area performance and worth considering if you want the best image. Make sure to switch it out of ‘store mode’ during set up as that over emphasises brightness and colour saturation. Only negative is the reflective nature of the screen compared to lcd but some recent oleds have a screen coating to address that.

1 Like

I can see how a Computer screen could exhibit burn in after a while (they certainly used to be pretty bad on those old green screens), as the desktop contains many static areas, however I would have though a TV rarely have any area that stay static for long periods

1 Like

Alot of channels have a static station ident in the corner of the picture so if watching a long event its possible.

I did wonder about that, although I suppose you wouldn’t notice it if you already watch that channel a lot.

I received my OLED TV yesterday. I unpacked it, set it up and watched some stuff.
WOW! Just wow! I am gobsmacked by the image quality!
The OLED makes my 2016 Panasonic LED TV look broken. The blacks are amazing; even better than my former plasma TV. The colors are so rich and vibrant. Everything on screen looks lifelike.

5 Likes

In my experience, rich and vibrant doesn’t equate to lifelike, when it comes to TV colour settings.

I always calibrate the TV to real life by dialing down the saturation and vibrancy, so the grass on the TV actually looks the same as the grass in my garden. :smirk_cat:

2 Likes