Anyone with shower pump knowledge on the forum?

Yep, it’s at 60.

1 Like

Yes, I agree very much. Salamander can educate him on his errors I believe…

1 Like

It may be worth recording the noise, calling Salamander customer services and playing it to them. Then they could tell you if it seems normal. To have that sort of noise sounds very wrong. I know it’s a different pump but when we had an Aqualisa in the loft it was virtually silent. If the same fitter keeps swapping pumps, while the system around it remains unchanged, it seems quite possible that it might be the plumbing rather than the pump itself.

1 Like

Indeed, that’s the plan as I’m pretty sure installer doesn’t know the answer himself. He’s not doing it out of spite, he jsut doesn’t have the full knowledge around installation imo.

1 Like

Maybe… My guess is that the pump(s) maybe cavitating.

My pump is fitted on the ‘floor’, level with the bottom of my Hot Water tank.

As is mine…

1 Like

Hmmmm…

I had a Salamander pump installed as per their instructions and it failed (just stopped working) just outside the warranty. I was not impressed and instead I installed a Mira electronically controlled unit which sits above the ceiling of the shower. Personally I would never again buy a Salamander pump.

Best

David

1 Like

Mira was the other ‘brand’ that I was considering - if only a ‘professional’ could be bothered to quote me…

I had a Mira ‘power shower’ in a previous house - and it was faultless… :slightly_smiling_face:

Just got all sciency on it. Salamander quote 52db, however when I put my phone with an app based noise meter next to it I got 80db.

First think I would do is ask the plumber to provide a schematic of the complete installation, including pipe sizes and any valves fitted IE. non return, diverting. (A 3 port diverting valve may be a solution; it would isolate the unused shower, so effectively the pump would only see one shower).

I’d send the schematic to the pump manufacturer and ask them to comment on its suitability. If not suitable, ask them to suggested modifications.

It’s not just about the sizes of the pipes, but also where everything is vertically in relation to everything else.

1 Like

Hopefully, even a half decent schematic would give you this information. :grinning:

1 Like

Indeed, header tank capacity as well as sufficient head and water draw off arrangements are common issues with pumped showers.

Fascinating. In the US we have plenty of water pressure without a pump. But when we moved in to our current home the previous owned had a pump installed due to low pressure. But the township added a second water tower negating the need for the noisey old pump. Eventually we had the plumber remove it.

If you want more than one pumped shower you really need a megaflow system, with a great big tank in the garage or boiler room. We only have one bathroom and an Aqualisa digital worked brilliantly, with its own feed from the hot tank. A few years ago we switched to a modern combi, so the water is now at mains pressure.

It would be of interest to know what the actual issue is/was, once you resolve things.

I see so many of the house improvement prog’s on TV and in the media, these often advocating the installation of additional bathrooms in homes (often driven by family needs), that I wonder how they sort the plumbing out - especially where the storage comes from, and how they manage the mains feed?

1 Like

Yes, indeed. Despite currently having a ‘working’ system, with a Salamander pump, I still don’t claim to fully understand what caused 2 Salamander pumps to fail. So, anything which adds to my knowledge would help.

Mind you, how many threads on here never have a satisfactory explanation of what the ‘major’ problem really was - and what fixed it…?

I suspect that some plumbers when retrofitting such things tend to work with what is there and they assume that the specific requirements of the pump manufacturer can be ‘flexible’

My daughter has had a similar experience with their recent shower pump, initially becoming noisy, then magic smoke, followed by premature and terminal silence.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.