Apologies, but a quick Fraim glass query

There needs to be a ring to the upward facing side of the glass when positioned on the steel bearings. A ding is great, a slightly lower toned ring, or “dong” is fine. But a dink or donk with no sustain is best avoided.

Someone needs to make a video and record these various glass sounds. Short of becoming obsessive about it I imagine none of us would be able to blindly identify glass orientation in a fully setup working system!

3 Likes

Good idea IMO, can MP3’s be posted here?

24/96 surely?

1 Like

glass tap

Thanks, that’s exactly as I thought. It’s the ringing that you want, rather than a dull bonk. Nobody likes a dull bonk.

1 Like

I dunno, any port in a storm n all that.

Thanks for a good smile here guys, I’m in the office stifling laughter at the earnest discussion between grown men of how a ding beats a dink and a dong outperforms a donk. And I fully agree with it too. Superb. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here you go

1 Like

And there was me thinking should I even post such a tedious thread…great stuff!
Thank you all :smiley:

I’m going to invite the neighbours to my Fraim build.
It’ll be a right dingdong…

Price of entry one bottle of good stuff, not fussy what so long as it’s in a glass and more than 10% proof…much more…

2 Likes

I’m planning a ding dong ceremony when I build my new one next week. I may do a live stream and get the kids to accompany me with their toy musical instruments, I see quite an occasion coming together!

5 Likes

Dong in DSD? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Just a thought,would it be possible to have Naim put a sticker on the “dong” side of the glass to avoid all of this confusion?

1 Like

Nope, because it all depends on all the other factors of your assembled Fraim - i.e. stick that piece of glass on another level with different cup and balls and it could be the other side. It’s why you should do it in situ while you’re building up the Fraim stack.

Okay,thanks Richard,I’ve learnt something,I’m not at this stage yet,but hope to eventually arrive there.

@Richard.Dane

That’s interesting Richard. I’d assumed it was an inherent property in each glass plate. So it’s dependent on each shelf’s individual siting…thanks, I hadn’t considered that!

1 Like

Steve, from what I’ve ascertained over the years, it seems to be more about the sum of the parts rather than any one part in particular. Which is kind of appropriate really - a bit like all the Naim kit!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.