Apple Music Dolby Atmos opinions

I was wondering what forum members think of the new Apple Music service, in particular the Dolby Atmos option.
Firstly, I’d like to point out that I am trialling the service, free for 1 month and only using the Airplay option via my iPad to test this out. Therefore, it is quite possible I am not utilising this service to its maximum potential, especially as I am listening via stereo speakers and normal headphones, which is how most people probably will tbh. I cannot comment on the benefits of the AirPods in this user case.
Firstly, I have to admit that there is an effect on the spatiality of sound. Listening to The Beatles Sergeant Pepper album and Art Blakey’s Moanin’, both of which are available in Dolby Atmos, I’m finding a more 3D effect on sound, somewhat akin to binaural on headphones, which is quite nice.
Secondly and here’s the rub, tonality is affected in a negative way compared to my stereo versions of these recordings and appears quite thin sounding. Richness and fullness of sound seem to be playing second fiddle to the spatial effects of a recording. It’s certainly not enough of a reason to jump ship, let’s put it that way, but I’m willing to accept that it may be my setup is not optimal for this new service.
Anyway, just wondered what others thought?

Personally I haven’t tried it on my hifi. I am currently messing around with the iOS 15 beta and Apple Music via airplay. I have tried the spatial stuff with my AirPods max and I have to say I find it pretty good. Not thin sounding at all but then again that is with Apple headphones.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.