Apple Music HiFi Tier incoming?

Sounds very good .

3 Likes

What’s the configuration?

Yes, doesn’t Amazon have a casting option for streamers now. And could Deezer also be option. Not sure what they offer. I know Tidal Connect is coming this summer. And please add bit rate to track display mode. Would be nice to know that info if not using roon.

Have just given Apple my feedback… had the same kind of feeling I get when I Tweet, that of feeling as though I am shouting into a massive empty room. Still, made me feel better!

1 Like

Amazons casting is dreadful and only the SD stuff not HD or UHD. I asked them recently if it’s now HD but they said nothings changed for casting via Chromecast anyways. They have their own Amazing Fling that know one has ever adopted to my knowledge.

Using Amazon HD Ultra etc via the 2i. Pretty much perfect even on my slow French country 4 mbps.

Some hires is lost on the end to end transfer via Amazon and Bluesound node, but most is good. How do I know? Qutest shows me with its pretty green and blue lights. Of course there is limited 96 and 192 but what is available pretty much comes through. Pleased at a tenner a month.

Trying Amazon via ipad airplay is pretty useless though. Not even the low res comes through without drop outs.

This is why I want Naim to incorporate Amazon into its streaming devices as Bluesound node has.

Amazon thru AirPlay to Uniti Atom HE worked flawlessly and sounded just as good as roon/Qobuz for up to 24/48 stuff. But just think their app needs a lot of improvement.

I’m still hiding out hope for Spotify to pull off lossless wireless but they don’t seem in any hurry to make further announcements.

What a dismissive so and so that reviewer is.

He’s happy enough to gush about Airpods/Airpods max, but if it’s all this audiophile stuff is nonsense/snake oil why would he bother parting with hundreds of pounds for earphones or headphones! The difference I’d suggest is the look at me and my trendy gear mentality, whereas most of us would probably accept a box that looked like a pig if it sounded good.

I have both Airpods and Airpods Pro and they’re pretty convenient but hardly the last word in reproduction.

As anticipated everyone is going to get excited about spatial audio. Interesting really given 3D TV has never really appealed but there the cumbersome glasses required just didn’t work for people.

3 Likes

This may have been posted earlier. Apple’s MusicKit API may allow some kind of integration but I’d assume that would only cover macOS/iOS/iPad OS apps rather than implementations of other vendors’ hardware.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/MusicKit/#topics

1 Like

Lossless Apple Music on AppleTV 4K -HDMI-> TV -TOSLink-> Naim Uniti Nova works for me. However, it doesn’t have the expected sound quality and to my experience doesn’t sound better as AppleTV -AirPlay2-> Nova. Most probably because of the routing through the TV.

1 Like

Covers Android as well but it’s very limited from what I read and not as you say for implementing in hardware or software like Roon or Audivarna. It’s very similar to Spotifies web api.

Not another example of some twerp saying people don’t need what they enjoy…
Such articles are best destined for the bin in my humble opinion. People can enjoy what they like, they don’t need to to be preached to by some self righteous quack.
It’s sad what some people will do to try and draw attention to them selves…

7 Likes

How lovely, not heard that word in a while - lets bring it back! I’ll try my best to use it in conversation soon - not that we are short of twerps :wink:

5 Likes

Indeed these days it’s the other t word that’s used to describe more or less the same thing.

Totally agree.

The problem is that many people are listening to music wireless with their smartphones and don’t notice any or just very subtle differences between AAC and Lossless/HighRes, because it’s downsampled to AAC by Airplay2 and Bluetooth (if not forced to aptX on MacOS). That’s why AirPlay2 should have been upgraded. IMHO this was just a marketing move against Spotify and software development wasn’t fast enough. I hope it’s on their backlog for the next releases.

On the other hand I was surprised to notice improvements with Dolby Atmos even with simple AirPods, which I am usually using for conference calls but not to listen to music.

1 Like

True, but this could be some gateway drug into true Hi-Fi musical enjoyment… ie for those who are interested or curiosity aroused exploring how they can really hear and appreciate the difference… other than what they hear on their lofi/midfi wireless speaker.
Even if only a tiny percentage of punters… that has got to be a good thing.

I talk to many people about music replay, and many genuinely really appreciate high performance music replay … but the path to get there is off putting and to many inaccessible, littered with obscure vernacular and bogus wisdoms, appears ultra geeky, and an assumption that everything must be the price of at least a small car… this might help break that perception.

Just read John Darko’s article “Apple Music’s hi-res streaming is a bit of a mess” where he writes “… One final thought: MusicKit could maybe – just maybe – allow the likes of Roon, Audirvana and Plex to integrate Apple Music. …”

@Stevesky, I haven’t looked at the details, but it might be worth to consider that as an option for the integration of AppleMusic with HighRes in the Naim App without all the software and hardware restrictions in Apple’s gadgets.

1 Like

I agree, whatever helps people to listen to music in good quality is a step in the right direction.

You “just” have to migrate the Naim app to Swift :wink: