Aqvox se switch

Hi Richieroo, I am glad it’s working for you. My point is that real network isolation is achieved by controlling unnecessary data being processed by your streamer. That is less processing noise is created by your streamer. This requires your switch to support certain protocols.
My issue is that these so called audiophile devices appear to be window dressing in this regard and not addressing the main points, but rather focussing upping the serial physical link layer compared to cheap off the shelf consumer switches, which is worthwhile, don’t get me wrong, but is only part of the story.

One can get a quality commercial switch, often used, that provides low level serial link noise (they have to for certain reliability and EMC compliances) as well as they typically support the Ethernet isolation protocols. IGMP snooping and IGMP different version support is an example of this.
I have yet to see a so called audiophile device offer any support in this area, in fact the details seem scarce, and one device I saw was simply an off the shelf consumer D Link switch with a seemingly modified physical serial link clocking layer.

As such my advice has to be buyer beware… similar or better results almost certainly could be achieved for others by using certain commercial grade devices…
But I realise peace of mind is part of this, and if this is an unknown area, then buying a device with a stated specific performance for audiophiles can be what is required, it’s just there are other options.

1 Like

And £40 HP Switch with Blue Jeans Cables. The description of the AQVOX makes me feel it is performing just as well my combo. This is good as means there are several ways to achieve excellent sound quality. Consumers can simply choose the combo that suits them best.

1 Like

Hi Simon I take your point … absolutely…noise in noise out. I am under no illusions regarding Aqvox and the modifications done to a std switch - I hesitated and waited - it seems to have worked well for me. I use a WD server on a standard supply … my next plan of attack is a new quality linear psu to replace the std WD wall wart… I do have a Synology main NAS (918) which I use for general storage and security cameras … my WD drive is purely operating as a music server.

1 Like

That HP switch is probably darn good … much better than my old Zyxel … I would suggest you try replacing the psu with a low noise linear one… or an IFI…if you feel like experimenting.

I was listening to John Serrie ‘A Stargazer’s Journey’ last night … the diminishing sound scape is very very impressive now … tiny almost imperceptive sounds fade out so beautifully - in a very analogue way giving great depth and width…stunning.

I’ll try that later as I do have an iFI power supply in my cupboard, I used to use it with a USB interface so need to check the voltage is OK.

1 Like

They are great little supplies…good luck

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.