Are used prices rising again?

exactly, market demand and all that good stuff

2 Likes

In Switzerland and Germany I don’t notice any OC flood (e.g. NDX2 over 4k Euro, newer ones 5k upwards). There have been many offers for Uniti devices (20% off for new ones, falling prices for used ones) since the autumn. OC special editions (grey anniversary edition) are offered very low-priced. I have seen a complete new system without speakers for 13k.

1 Like

Yes a very different used market from the UK also here in the Benelux and I think all of western- Europe.

Taxes make importing from UK often not break even, so used prices are at around 20-25% higher here. But not much interesting and serviced / ex-dem stuff on offer.

1 Like

Haven’t noticed much moving in the US, rock bottom prices or not.

Nothing much is moving as you will find if you try and sell something.
You have to be selling cheap for it to go it seems, dealers have pulled stuff off the market and now wait for when there isn’t any for sale to try and push it out the door.
New kit isn’t going out the door much if you get an honest answer from your hifi dealer. It’s either low end or very high end that is still selling it seems, and naims new kit being somewhere in the middle off it is suffering like all the rest.
If you have the money to but anything right now you are certainly in the driving seat.

2 Likes

Unless of course the seller is the second owner…

2nd hand prices depend on the single items. I have decided not to keep the HDX and am trying to sell it at 1/8 of its last retail, unsuccessfully.

1 Like

Prices increased due to supply challenges post Covid but never came back down and this annual price increase that manufacturers apply is profit not cost driven - they have somehow normalised this……I suspect like any manufacturer you want as much as you can for your product but I get a sense the prices have increased too much but time will tell

It was hard to read the market when OC replaced olive, suspect it will settle down and with a bit of luck we’ll have a change of government which is less focused on causing chaos.

Gary

1 Like

So, if trying to move up the hifi chain, or just making a change, is it best to trade in or sell on the bay?

Would this website consider a sellers page,
Probably been discussed before?
that way we can get a fair price for our kit and buyers get a good price,
No 15% commission to be paid,

You’ll most likely get more on eBay than a dealer will give you in trade-in. They have to sell them on too and need a margin. eBay offers me an 80% reduction in sellers fees every two weeks which makes it worthwhile.

1 Like

It won’t happen. But just imagine the discussions around what constitutes a good price. That might be interesting. Maybe a thread about the value of used components might be allowed?

Dealers more often than not list items on ebay regardless as well as on their own websites.
They’ll be balancing trade in value and potential profits from moving it on for you as well as their margins on the new kit you’ll be buying.
Over the years I’ve found dealer ex demo and the occasional manufacturer offer the most beneficial, I’ve ended up with numerous kit that way and for a typical price of 20-30% below RRP for something that’s been barely used for a 12 month period.

Yep, that’s how I bought most of my 2nd system, amp and speakers. The Nait 5si was an “open-box” unused item at £845. At the time the rrp had just gone up to £1400 (Now £1500 :face_with_peeking_eye:). Paid cash though (no trade-in). A real bargain.

And from Thursday, £1,699.

I suspect used prices are about to start creeping up. :wink:

IMHO used prices have tanked, I’ve seen a 2003 252 advertised for £2195, seems that power supplies are doing fairly ok. Once I sort out my new stuff thinking of Linn Edition Hub and a pair of ATC SCM 40a’s my main equipment will go to my son. I’ll retain the CDX2 and connect to the Linn digitally and I am hoping that the MC input on the Linn Hub will be reasonable but probably not as good as my Superline/Supercap. Downstairs I’ll retain my SuperNait 1 which will go for a service soon, HiCap DR and ND5 XS2 which drive a pair of ATC SCM 19’s. Then that will be pretty much it…

Tim

1 Like

I don’t think so either but there is a Naim selling group on Facebook.

1 Like

I recently had a price of £550 from a dealer for my 2019 200dr, this was against a new old stock 250dr priced at £4000, didn’t do the deal in the end, at the moment OC items are lower in price but if you have a trade in that will definitely be valued much lower probably than normal.
I would expect s/h prices will rise as Naim add their new price increases then settle for awhile , perhaps later in the year s/h values may start to improve again, at the moment I think supply is definitely out stripping demand.

I just picked up a SN3 on eBay for £1,900 (auction starting price of £1,700). I haven’t seen any Buy It Now prices of less than £2,200 which still seems cheap for a well reviewed £4k amp.

2 Likes

What’s the safest way when selling - PayPal, Bank Transfer?

1 Like